All techie stuff here
By Nerowing
I have recently bought the Flymaster NavSD with an airspeed sensor. But the instrument does not work properly. I sent it back to Flymaster they "repaired" it got it back and same problems again. It starts from time to time to indicate strong lift about 6m/s and then sinking air for about 3 seconds, but i don't feel any change in the gliders attitude. This also happens in still/smooth air. Someone else got these problems? Also, I can't get the energy compensation to work I set it at 100% and when I slow down my hanggliderthe Flymaster starts beeping. Does anyone have some experience with Flymaster
instruments ?
Regards Alex
By Nube
I have also same kind of problem from time to time. I have flymaster gps sd and tas sensor. Some times when i fly, vario gives couple seconds a grazy beeping and is indicating strong lift. Then it returns to work as normal. Im used to it, but i think its not supposed to do so. I also fly with vario compensated-setting and tec ratio is set to 70 in probe settings.
By red
Nube wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:37 am
I have also same kind of problem from time to time. I have flymaster gps sd and tas sensor. Some times when i fly, vario gives couple seconds a grazy beeping and is indicating strong lift. Then it returns to work as normal. Im used to it, but i think its not supposed to do so. I also fly with vario compensated-setting and tec ratio is set to 70 in probe settings.
Nerowing, Nube,

Does this happen at every site that you fly, or only at one or two? Find a place on the ground where you can sit with your gadget, and time the intervals between the bogus lift beepings. If it is happening at any regular interval, such as every 22 seconds, then it is likely that a powerful radio or radar transmitter is causing this. Keep us posted on what you find.
By TjW
There is a real effect with total energy varios when flying through a gust. If you fly into a horizontal gust so that your airspeed increases, and you don't simultaneously lose altitude, your total energy (kinetic energy + energy of position) really has increased.
But of course that doesn't mean there's lift there, just that there was a gust.
This is mostly a problem at higher speeds on final glides, where you don't want to waste time pulling up and circling in what seemed to be pretty good lift.
I haven't noticed this in hang gliders so much as in sailplanes, so it may not be what you're experiencing, but it is a real effect.
By Nube
Ok, so maybe its more like an feature than problem with my gear. As i remember, it does not appear on every flight and when it does, i have been circling around pretty fast with almost full vg (as i can recall).

Our flying season here in finland is starting to be over, what comes to thermals and xc so i dont have too good chances to try it out. And thanks for your reply!

Im currently flying with altair program and altair racing pod, this flymaster is my second vario at the time. Ill keep my eye on it :)
Snowy peaks at Villa, everyone soared

... Great to see Villa Grove with autumn scenery a[…]

I tried to run the Python script but it only gener[…]

Merely theorizing here, again... (beware of specul[…]

Burning Desire to Fly on Friday

Wow, those guys get in close with their big birds.[…]