All techie stuff here
By RobertKesselring
I've had a GoPro hero 3 silver for less than 2 years. It's dead. It has not been subject to abuse. To me, that means it was junk. Now I'm faced with the decision of what to replace it with. GoPro has a reputation for toughness. Did it get that reputation from its actual customers, or from a lot of money spent on its marketing? If my experience was highly unusual, then I may try another GoPro. If 2 years is the normal life expectancy of a GoPro, then they're junk and I'll try something else.

So what has your experience been concerning GoPro camera durability and longevity?
:popcorn:
By Wonder Boy
Contact them, they will give you a discount and or replacement.
2 years is not the norm.
By Nigel Hewitt
I have three GoPros ranging from the first to a Session.
They all still work but the newer ones have squeezed out the older one as more convenient/better accessories.
I will probably go 4K soon and move on up.
By Rick M
RobertKesselring wrote:I've had a GoPro hero 3 silver for less than 2 years. It's dead.
Is the camera really dead or is it a battery problem?

Make sure the battery is fully charged. Remove the battery and reinstall it. I've had a few occasions where I couldn't get my GoPro 3 to turn on and it was due to a really dead battery.

Try a different battery if you can't get yours to work.

I bought a replacement battery. It's a lot bigger than the stock battery. I can record at full 1080 HD for over three hours with the bigger battery.
By mrcc
I strongly believe the Gopro brand is a dominate, over price & over rated action cam.
There are so many to choose from on todays market. My current favorite is a Mobius action cam.
The size of of a match box & choice of 3 different lens at 4-5 times cheaper than a Gopro.
Then its hard to go pass a good Sony camera.
Last edited by mrcc on Mon May 15, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By RobertKesselring
Wonder Boy wrote:Contact them, they will give you a discount and or replacement.
2 years is not the norm.
Tried to contact them via chat. Waited for a chat rep for over an hour while I was doing other things, last time I checked the chat window, they'd come and gone within 5 minutes. Do they expect people to just sit there and stare at the chat window for an hour?

Guess I'll have to call them. Ugh.
Rick M wrote: Is the camera really dead or is it a battery problem?
A couple weeks ago when I tried to use it, it would record only a few seconds at a time, then stop recording. It did not shut off, just stopped recording. I thought maybe something wrong with the card, so I swapped in a known good card and formatted it in the camera.

Tried to use it again yesterday. Fully charged, with a battery backpack. It turned on, but then became completely unresponsive. Wouldn't record. Wouldn't even turn off until the battery went completely flat.

Doesn't really sound like a battery issue to me, but I guess it could have been logic locked. I'll charge it back up and see if taking the battery out to re-set it helps.
By NMERider
I have owned numerous GoPro cameras and nearly every one has gone back for warranty replacement and I even sent back at least one replacement GoPro as well. The latest casualty is my Hero4 Black I received in December that I used a few dozen times and which would stop recording and just freeze. I'd have to take the battery out to shut it off. It happened sooner each time I used it and finally I completely missed one of the more interesting flights I've done. I called GoPro support and after a 10-minute wait went through all the steps from start to finish with the rep and sure enough the camera froze after 6 minutes. I sent it back at their cost that evening and within 3 days a new camera was delivered.

The rep asked me what I used the camera for an I directed her to my YouTube channel. To make a long story short, that rep will be taking hang gliding lessons soon.
By RobertKesselring
NMERider wrote:...To make a long story short, that rep will be taking hang gliding lessons soon.
Super-cool! :thumbsup:
By ChattaroyMan
My Hero3+ wouldn't start up, wouldn't connect via USB, tried everything customer support (phone) said to do. It was 2-2/3 years old and dead as a hammer. Used it for $100 off on their trade-in offer for a Hero5. Sold the Hero5 as I ordered a refurbished 4 for $289.99 from GoPro (that has a 1 year warrantee same as new cameras). Didn't want the 5 since it does not have an extended battery option that I liked. So far the 4 is working very well - only used on one flight so far.

When GoPros work the way they are supposed to they are great. Problem is that they, from my experience, are not very dependable. Their phone support is fair but the online Chat ..... that's a complete joke. Tried multiple times on different devices, platforms, locations, etc. - never got a connection. Either it is woefully understaffed or the technology is sorrowful - or both.

All in all I wish GoPro had stiffer competition.
By Flying Circus
Never owned a GoPro went against the grain and got a Sony Action Cam, great camera good range of accessories and easy to use free movie making software. Looked at a Drift they look cool, the Mobius is impressive and a nice small unit.
By RobertKesselring
Looking at replacing the GoPro with a Contour.
[youtube]
[/youtube]

One of my local flying buddies has an earlier version of the Contour that he's been using since 2008 or 2009. Anybody else have experience with these?
By mvent2009
Got my old GoPro Hero, still working very nicely! :mosh: :mosh: :mosh:
By AIRTHUG
I've had every edition of GoPro... sometimes more than one at a time... and I have not had any warranty problems like people are describing above.

I've used them quite a bit, and wouldn't say I take it easy on them by any means. I've had them fall off my glider landing in the gravel at the South Side, had people whack while flying with them, strapped one to my dog a bunch of times. Let me daughter play with it. No problems.

Maybe I'm just lucky... but seems statistically unlikely, considering how many I've had over the years.

I *do* take care to cycle the batteries dead-full-dead regularly, I stay on top of firmware updates, and I have always used whatever memory card GoPro was recommending at the time- was Sandisk for a while, then Lexar... not sure what they're liking right now. Always format the card IN THE CAMERA, BTW...

As for GoPro's being overpriced- that's not an uncommon perspective, but it really depends what you want or need the camera to do. If you just want something to capture moving images, IE video, of your flights... yes, there are a myriad of cheaper options available. But very few rival GoPro when it comes to quality and features- they've upgraded the lenses significantly with each iteration. And the ability to record in what they call "ProTune", which is a high data rate format with much less compression than the usual for GoPro or any of the competetors. Less compression makes for cleaner, sharper pictures... but that's because it affords you the ability to apply sharpening filters in post. Also, ProTune captures a wider dynamic range (range between what is under-exposed, pure black, and what is over-exposed, pure white). This again affords more leeway to push and pull and adjust and stylize the picture in post.

If you saw the Hollywood blockbuster Need for Speed, then you watched- on the BIG screen- lots of footage captured with GoPro's, and spliced in with footage from much MUCH higher end cinema cameras. The cheaper options out there simply don't compete at anywhere near the level... which is only relevant if you're using the additional quality embeded in the files.

If you're just taking the video clips straight-out-of-camera, and maybe just cutting pieces out and splicing pieces together, I could totally understand the perspective that GoPro's are overpriced. I'd call it overkill, not overpriced, since you're paying for image and codec quality that you're not utilizing... but same difference really...

And I'll say, since I'm sure someone will be pointing this out anyways- I was a GoPro dealer for a long time. I got one early, before they were HD or had rechargeable batteries, and saw the huge potential for these mini fisheye cams in hang gliding, and contacted them for a dealership. Sold a bunch to pilots all over the world, it was pretty exciting being a (small) part of the mini cam revolution and seeing all the hang gliding content people were capturing and posting- so much more aerial stuff than ever before. Anyways- I haven't been a dealer for several years now, and bought my last couple through traditional channels. I have nothing to gain from sticking up for them or sharing positivity about them. It's just my opinion/experience, as a long time user and as someone who's done a bit of film-making and stuff with them...
By NMERider
In GoPro's defense, I have recorded over 2,000 hours of video and ~250,000 still photos between 3 HD Hero and 2 Hero2 cameras. The earlier cameras are more reliable than the Hero4 camera I own but the video image quality of the 4 is really pleasing. I need to start using with the ProTune and see whether it's worth the extra editing time and effort.

The Org's biggest GoPro cheerleader, Relate2 AKA: Robert Seckold would have had something interesting to add this this discussion. Not to go far OT but many of us are in our 50's and 60's with a lifetime of sun exposure. Please keep an eye on your skin for suspicious looking areas that could be precursors to melanoma. Here's why: http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=29741 :(

Okay, back to the action camera discussion. :thumbsup:
By AIRTHUG
NMERider wrote:In GoPro's defense, I have recorded over 2,000 hours of video and ~250,000 still photos between 3 HD Hero and 2 Hero2 cameras. The earlier cameras are more reliable than the Hero4 camera I own but the video image quality of the 4 is really pleasing.
Another perspective- Jono's GoPros get broken WAY less than the hang gliders they're mounted to
:run:

:popcorn:
By remmoore
RobertKesselring wrote:Looking at replacing the GoPro with a Contour.
[youtube]
[/youtube]

One of my local flying buddies has an earlier version of the Contour that he's been using since 2008 or 2009. Anybody else have experience with these?
I have one of the earlier HD models. For me, it's great because I can easily start/stop video recording manually. I reach out to the camera mounted on a short (18") arm and slide the big recording button to the On position. Very easy while wearing gloves to start or stop recording without using a remote.

Image quality is good, but I don't know if it's the absolute best. I don't do anything special with my video footage, but it's very easy to have simple footage of my flights.

RM
By Jason
I've had by gopro's from -140 feet to +18,000 feet, from below 0 degrees to well over 100 degrees

I always managed to lose them before they stop working. :ahh:
By klh
I got my Hero 2 at least 4.5 years ago and it is still going strong. Original battery still lasts about 2 hours at 1080p. No SD card issues. Only problems I've ever had were finding that it had switched on while going out to the flying site somehow (button getting pushed while harnesses in a pile) and turning it on but forgetting to start recording before launch.
By NMERider
AIRTHUG wrote:
NMERider wrote:In GoPro's defense, I have recorded over 2,000 hours of video....
Another perspective- Jono's GoPros get broken WAY less than the hang gliders they're mounted to....
GoPro cameras will easily survive an impact force that will quickly dislocate the shoulder of a tantrum-throwing crybaby-pilot who buzzed a trespassing PG before slamming into the berm at the South Side of the Point. At least that what numerous witnesses have described to me in painful detail. #Instant #Karma :withstupid:
+1 GoPro
+0 Poopy Pants Pilot

Great footage! But man, that slow-mo was really ki[…]

Campers, Has anybody seen the ElectraFlyer? (No r[…]

The only learning curve I found was everything hap[…]

Some Fall Color in SoCal

Friday 2017.11.17 at Crestline.... http://www.you[…]