All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By skyphil
I find myself hanging almost a foot over my control bar on my T2, with the default hang loop.

I'm unsure what loop I should order: 45J-2003? Is there a better option?

Many thanks.
By Wonder Boy
skyphil wrote:I find myself hanging almost a foot over my control bar on my T2, with the default hang loop.

Many thanks.
Longer than WW stock + 8" you need.
By skyphil
Wonder Boy wrote:
skyphil wrote:I find myself hanging almost a foot over my control bar on my T2, with the default hang loop.

Many thanks.
Longer than WW stock + 8" you need.
What do you mean?
By skyphil
Also, when my pitch is at the lowest, my face is in the control bar, so maybe I'm good?

1st SS harness, maybe I should experiment with the current setting.

I'm going to try it on a SS glider first as well.
By Willmrx
The pure fact that you own, and are ( possibly) flying, a advance rated hang glider, hanging a foot over the base bar, is a absolute testament of the current pathetic state of hang gliding.
By Helix3
OP could have a DHV harness which requires a hang loop 7.75" longer than WW's standard hang loop length as Wonder Boy noted (rounded up to 8").
By WA6BD
here is a link for the procedure to get the proper length for your hang loop, just did this process. have a helper to hold your glider in flight angle while you swing through the control frame.

https://www.willswing.com/how-to-get-th ... -height-2/

45J-2003 is the WW P/N for a custom length, you'll need to know the type of spreader bar.
By Willmrx
Can someone please explain to me how, someone owning and flying a advanced aircraft (hang glider), and lacks the knowledge of how to determine the right length, of a (very important) part of that aircraft? I can understand the question coming from a hang 2. I post this question with no criticism of the pilot, but of the hang gliding (teaching) community as a whole.
By WA6BD
Not here to pass judgement on any one, sharing my experience n hopefully making the flyin community a safer place, which is by far a better place.

Fly safe ~
By skyphil
WA6BD wrote:here is a link for the procedure to get the proper length for your hang loop, just did this process. have a helper to hold your glider in flight angle while you swing through the control frame.

https://www.willswing.com/how-to-get-th ... -height-2/

45J-2003 is the WW P/N for a custom length, you'll need to know the type of spreader bar.
Thank you for the great link!
By skyphil
Willmrx wrote:The pure fact that you own, and are ( possibly) flying, a advance rated hang glider, hanging a foot over the base bar, is a absolute testament of the current pathetic state of hang gliding.
I pondered if I should answer you or ignore you. Let me set the record straight:

I never had to order a custom strap before. I was trying to gather information from an hopefully generous and kind community. Which you are not a part of obviously.

If you want to complain on how pathetic the sport has become, take it somewhere else.
By magentabluesky
Willmrx wrote:Can someone please explain to me how, . . . .?
I am someone who can explain how.

This is a life time Twelve Step Program that would qualify for a Ph.D. thesis dissertation.

Have you read the Wills Wing Twelve Step Program?

The question is, how could anyone make something so simple so complicated?
By NMERider
magentabluesky wrote:....The question is, how could anyone make something so simple so complicated?
It's counter-intuitive until one gets accustomed to the notion that the drop from hang loop nadir to speedbar trough remains constant while control bar leg length and speedbar bulge geometry all change. This is why all the pilot needs to know is the glider model and size plus the type of speedbar along with the desired drop length. What could possible be more effective for inducing a migraine? :explode:
By flybop
Who woulda thunked that jumpin' off a mountain could be so darn complicated?

BTW, I need to install my new hang strap from WW.
By Wonder Boy
Willmrx wrote:The pure fact that you own, and are ( possibly) flying, a advance rated hang glider, hanging a foot over the base bar, is a absolute testament of the current pathetic state of hang gliding.
Oh man I asked a very similar question back in the day. http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?p=89234#89234
I came here for answers, not ridicule.
How is anyone supposed to feel safe trying to gain knowledge about something ?

I cant tell you how many pilots are out there that dont know there is a huge difference between a stock WW hang strap and DHV. Or buy a used glider without asking what hang loop was on it. (or what harness they were flying on it)

Lets help to be good shepherds, lets help to be mentors and give those seeking answers a safe environment to be comfortable in doing so.

Want them out there too afraid to ask something and getting hurt?

Ok back to the regularly scheduled programing......
By skyphil
NMERider wrote: This reminds me--if anyone needs a like-new custom hang loop to fly a Woody Valley Tenax 3 or 4 on a T2C 144 with carbon base tube, please give me a shout.
Any chance it could work with a rotor vulto? (my t2 is 144, aluminum control bar)
By skyphil
I was just thinking out loud really. the shop is closed for winter. I only wanted to know what loop to ask for.

I just got this new harness, with the kick-ass pitch adjustement and all, it's going to be quite a change. I'm really going to take it from the top.

The harness fits really tightly. I'm afraid that the pitch adjustment lever might stay stuck open so that's why I figured I might try it like that at first. A real bad idea on the T2 of course, but on the freedom I might.

Anyhow, it's freaking cold in the hangar so I haven't ran all the tests and measurements I wanted. I'll know more when I do.

Thanks for the tour. Looked like you just walked i[…]

Well that was worth the wait! Mostly clear air m[…]

Clear L.A. Skies on Friday!

Well mate you just flew above those walls :lol: […]

involuntarylist

Ive had enough. More than enough agitating peopl[…]