All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By miraclepieco
Maybe for the East coast but here on the west coast the birds, flowers and frogs say otherwise!

We just got the perma-snow off the ground and now I'm seeing V's of migrating geese, large flocks of robins, daffodils and crocuses are poking up, and I've heard several frogs croaking.

You know what they say: "When it comes to predicting Spring, an ounce of robin is worth a pound of calendar."
By old newbie
Snow on the ground in Astoria , don't start planting your garden yet
By blindrodie
Geese packing up and heading north here in Missouri as well...

8)
By Baitrunner
going to LMFP from Feb 18th through the 26th.... I can deal with cool temps but praying for little to no precip and CALM conditions. Come on spring!
By Avnav8r
Hey,

It looks like an early Spring here in NW Georgia as well! Daffodils are up, birds are singing early and I even have an azalea that is about to bloom. We've had a fairly mild winter here this year. It'll be time to break out the glider soon!

John Stokes
By Nicos
100 degrees this weekend in Canberra, Australia. Makes for really strong seabreezes!

Hottest temps on record here but I imagine that's a 'liberal conspiracy', or more likely just fake news. Probably an elaborate hoax.
Attachments
viewimage-3.php_-1.png
viewimage-3.php_-1.png (54.05 KiB) Viewed 1554 times
By miraclepieco
Nicos wrote:100 degrees this weekend in Canberra, Australia. Makes for really strong seabreezes!

Hottest temps on record here but I imagine that's a 'liberal conspiracy', or more likely just fake news. Probably an elaborate hoax.
Sure, because everyone knows there's never been 100-degree temps in Australia before - in the entire 100 years they've been keeping temperature records with about a dozen old mercury thermometers nationwide. Now with all that Climate Change grant $$$ they can afford to cover the entire Outback with lots of new state-of-the-art equipment!

Hey, I thought you guys were C, not F - or were you just making the conversion for us ignorant Yanks? :lol:
By Nicos
... not so much in Canberra, no. It's the capital so have been keeping records for a while, and no summer has been hotter on those records — http://www.meteorology.com.au/local-cli ... t/canberra — they call that historic.

And yes, I even sometimes use 'Murkan spelling for the same audience, how considerate!
By Avnav8r
Nicos wrote:100 degrees this weekend in Canberra, Australia. Makes for really strong seabreezes!

At least you live somewhere that the Government actually believes that Climate Change is real! :cuss: You'll now have to excuse me 'cause I have to go take a Trump! :lol:
By TjW

I'm not sure why new high temps would be news -- it's been warming since the middle of last ice age. Which would explain why we're no longer in an ice age.
By peterc
"Take a Trump", excellent, just added that to my vernacular!
By Avnav8r
peterc wrote:"Take a Trump", excellent, just added that to my vernacular!
Thanks! Please feel free to spread it around :thumbsup:
By thermaleo
>>I'm not sure why new high temps would be news -- it's been warming since the middle of last ice age. Which would explain why we're no longer in an ice age<<

Well, technically we still are in an Ice Age - we are just in an interglacial period. And within c.10 -20 thousand years we will enter another glacial period which will probably last another 100,000 years.

The Ice Ages won't stop until the continent of Antarctica moves off the South Pole so there is no ice cap there. That will take about another 30 million years. The North Pole has a floating ice cap because the Arctic Ocean is surrounded by land masses. Two ice covered poles is unusual in the history of the Earth.

Of course now that we have dumped nearly a trillion tonnes of carbon into the atmosphere in a 4 billion year carbon blow out - it is possible we may not slide into another glacial period - some scientists think so. Anthropogenic Global Warming is going to be dire, but another glacial period will be no fun either. Think Northern Europe and America buried under a mile of ice, nuclear power plants smeared across the landscape etc. etc. Of course you will be able to walk, or at least ski, to Russia....

Whatever, like it or not, humans are a major climate control factor now, so we'd better get our act together....

Leo Jones
By Jim brindley
Oh No!....not the all too common fun conversation turned into a veiled political rant!... :offtopic: : :puke:
By Telepilot
Jim, I can't wait to hear their opinions on Abortion, guns and Religion too!
By ChattaroyMan
Jim brindley wrote:Oh No!....not the all too common fun conversation turned into a veiled political rant!... :offtopic: : :puke:
Weather & climate are not political - any more than it is pretty hard to predict into the future with a heck of a lot of accuracy on weather/climate or politics. I'm personally fascinated by how Earth's climate has changed over time and all the variables that are involved: atmospheric gas content & percentages, volcanic activity, orbit fluctuations, behavior of our star, continental drift, ocean temperature and currents, asteroid impact, the list is pretty long and very likely there are a few unknowns too.

We're a fascinating planet in that we're mostly covered by liquid water. This really keeps our diurnal temps in a relatively narrow range (whole planet anyway). Hard telling just how much sea level may rise with the current warming.
By Jim brindley
Steve,
Your post is fine...an interesting topic for sure!....I just had to say something about the politics that got wedged in there by others. But in my opinion the NE has been seeing more wind and variability in temperatures over the last several years...( not always warmer)...seems like the west coast has had milder winters.

JIM

Not real sure what "re-exported" them me[…]

Ride the Cloud

On the Devil's Dyke, a huge stone age earthwork ne[…]

Nice! Reminiscent of NMERider's flight video from […]

Questions on e-power

I am looking into e-power and have some questions […]