All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By waveview
Have a look at this 1970's UP wing flying with the cable braced leading edge supports. These types of wings were still flying at our local sites into the 1980's but I was surprised to see one being flown in the video.
The image is a screen shot from this recent video upload to YouTube.
Attachments
Vintage 1970's HG wing photo.jpg
Vintage 1970's HG wing photo.jpg (95.35 KiB) Viewed 1588 times
By Ken.de.Russy
I had a fleet of those UP Condors, mostly 194 sq ft, that I taught thousands of lessons on from the late 70s through the 1980s. They were fabulous. They were great, low sink rate, good handling wings. I could give reporters hair cuts with them. (See :57sec) Plus, by 1982 or so I was picking them up for free. I sure miss that hill.

[youtube]
[/youtube]
By Avnav8r
Ken,

Is that Elings Park?

John Stokes
By dayhead
I recently acquired a UP Condor 194, and flew it on the training hill. It was a lot of fun to revisit this glider, I used them for instruction in 1981 at Lake Mathews.

It's sorta/kinda like the Wills Wing Alpha, in that it's able to fly at very slow speed.

Deflexors were like the rigging on a sailboat's mast. They would prevent the leading edge from flexing upward and back under load. The sails were made for a straight leading edge, so deflexors were used to keep the leading edge tube relatively straight.

The deflexor cables or the struts could be adjusted in various ways, allowing us to "tune" the glider to improve handling and/or performance to some degree.

Interestingly, they didn't make a glider stronger, in that they would not allow the leading edge tube to flex and dump excess load, like the gliders do now and did before deflexors were introduced.
By Ken.de.Russy
Avnav8r wrote:Ken,

Is that Elings Park?

John Stokes
It is indeed John. No training hill has been in continuous use - for hang gliding - longer. I spent the best years of my life there. Perfect launches from zero to 200' and frequently soarable. Not many hills have flyable conditions more days a year. I miss it.
By Avnav8r
Ken,

My wife and I lived in the Santa Barbara area for a few years in the early 2000's and we went to Elings Park a number of times. Great place! By the way, I see Gordon Cayce here at Lookout several times a year and he speaks highly of you!

John
By Ken.de.Russy

My wife and I lived in the Santa Barbara area for a few years in the early 2000's and we went to Elings Park a number of times. Great place! By the way, I see Gordon Cayce here at Lookout several times a year and he speaks highly of you!

John
Please send my best to Gordon. Is he still teaching for Matt? I saw him in 2011 at Kitty Hawk at the "Legends of Hang Gliding" seminar. What a gathering!
By Eteamjack
UP made a good product in those days. My favorite wing remains a UP Gemini. Havent seen any on the used market for several years. I had the big one and put around 600hrs on it.
By Avnav8r
Ken.de.Russy wrote:

John
Please send my best to Gordon. Is he still teaching for Matt? I saw him in 2011 at Kitty Hawk at the "Legends of Hang Gliding" seminar. What a gathering!
Gordon lives in South Carolina but shows up several times a year to help at Lookout. I will pass on your message.
By dayhead
Ken.de.Russy wrote:

Is that Elings Park?

John Stokes
It is indeed John. No training hill has been in continuous use - for hang gliding - longer. I spent the best years of my life there. Perfect launches from zero to 200' and frequently soarable. Not many hills have flyable conditions more days a year. I miss it.
I probably had more fun flying there than anywhere else. So much fun trying to soar, and occasionally soaring, that hill.

Back then it was called "The Mesa". When did it become Elings Park?

Does anyone take a tether line with them in case t[…]

Transition From Hill To Mountain Launch

I will try not to overdo the training and get in[…]

Not sure what is going on, but it seems specific t[…]

Questions on e-power

Well, technically speaking, no motor uses DC power[…]