All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By Lucky_Chevy
It's that time again. I'm going to repackage my reserve in the coming week. I started to wonder who else packs their own chute and when was the last time you had yours repacked?

I did mine last spring.
By blindrodie
I always repack my own each year. Have not flown in a while, needs to be done!!!

8)
By pablog
blindrodie wrote:I always repack my own each year.
Same here :mosh:
By Wagner24314
every spring
By DAVE 858
Did mine for the first time in 3 years. Had to change a few rubber bands, but all was well.
By miraclepieco
I am incapable of learning how to pack a reserve parachute, despite attending numerous clinics, so I just entrust mine to the experts - usually Pat Denevan at Mission Soaring or Kevin Lee of Thermal Tracker Paragliding. Once every three years whether it needs it or not :lol: :roll:
By kjj3dan
Anybody ever try the Cloud 9 parachute and repack service out of Draper,Ut. advertising on ebay ?
By adyr
Once or twice / year. I have two of them to pack, the hang gliding one and the paragliding one.

I pack them myself, it's very easy.
By blindrodie
I pack them myself, it's very easy.
Agreed...and very easy to screw up, slowing the opening sequence and killing you instead of just breaking your fall. :twisted:

8)
By adyr
I was trained as a parachutist in the army, I kind of know what I'm doing. :)
By Lucky_Chevy
I've always wondered if it was much different from packing a standard parachute. Does the process for a skydiving chute start by putting the chute in tension?

I wonder how different our chutes are from the ones that are used to drop cargo. I'm amazed that such small chutes, like my Lara 250, have such a good safety records. It just seems so small to me.
By Nicos
Might do a sail-off inspection this year too :thumbsup:
By Lucky_Chevy
Good thought Nicos.

While we're talking about glider/equipment maintenance:

For me it's time to replace the lower side wires. and replace the VG line in the U2; UV seems to eat mine every couple of years.

I rented a U2 in Florida that had a shorter hang strap than mine and I liked it better. I'm going to have a new hang strap made for mine this Spring.

I was thinking about getting a new glider. I liked the looks of the Icaro MastR and a friend has a Bautek Fizz that seriously outperforms the U2 but have decided to fly what I have for at least another season. I've flow my U2 for 2 seasons now and a Moyes Litesport for a season before that. I'm flying a couple of sport class competitions a year and it will be nice to fly something I'm familiar with as I try to improve my performance.

Is anyone else planning on changing wings in the coming year? What are you thinking of moving to?
By blindrodie
I think you are ripe for as nice a WWT2 or T2C as one can afford! :mosh:

8)
By Lucky_Chevy
The T2c is a sweet wing. I test flow one and loved the extra performance but I want to hone my flying and competition skills a bit more before I'm thrown in with the "big" guys.

Plus, I'm not sure that I fly frequently enough to really stay current on a toppless wing. Someday.
By ng
kjj3dan wrote:Anybody ever try the Cloud 9 parachute and repack service out of Draper,Ut. advertising on ebay ?
I don't know about the ebay advertising but I used cloud 9 in Draper and they did a good job for me. I was surprised they did the HG's as well as the PG's.

Hope that helps.
Highest HG ramp in the alps

Pff, awesome scenery too!! :drool:

Umbrella factory - worked for Mary Poppins: ind[…]

goes 16 imagery

Wow... Thanks for passing that along!

A scary Launch

Thanks for your post. We all should seek out criti[…]