All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By Avnav8r
Hey Bob,

Thanks for posting the story and photos. I sure wish I could join you down there!

John Stokes
www.osceolabaldeagle.com
By Lucky_Chevy
Thanks for posting Bob.

I was there the week before and managed a few hours of flying. These are the days when I always consider moving to Florida full time.

Dan
By Windlord
skydog wrote:Darn cold here in Florida today, like 38 tonight.
Bob
Oh good! We thought we would share some of the love from up north with Florida. :mrgreen:
By Nigel Hewitt
skydog wrote:Darn cold here in Florida today, like 38 tonight.
Oh bother.
38F = 3C
I'm at Quest all through February and that's colder than it is here in the UK at the moment.
Oh well. Such is life.

Note to self: Pack warm stuff this time.
By skydog
.Monday January 9, 2017 We had not expected to fly until Tuesday with the forecast that we saw but Monday was a Big Lift day and a big surprise and we took advantage of it. My highest gain over launch was 6,528 feet. My airtime for the one flight was 2 hours and 13 minutes. After being so high and above base I made a big mistake left the good lift 5 miles downwind of Wallaby and headed upwind and after a few minutes I decided that I was not going to make it the next clouds so I turned back hoping to get into the same lift that I had been in but I could not find it so upwind I went and by the time I was over the warehouses I was down to 1,800 feet and there was not much lift there so I headed downwind over Wallaby expecting to land and as I came over the Ranch I hit a bubble at 1,000 feet and Wow, I took it up to 4 grand and another surprise. I putted around for a half hour and finally got down to 800 feet and decided to land after a great flight. Oded, Moritz, Aric Paulson and Mick Robson shared the air with me today and that was great and they all did very well. I have video coming soon. Yes it was cool but I was pretty well dressed for it. Tuesday's forecast looks good so away we go again.
Last edited by skydog on Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Nigel Hewitt
skydog wrote:Hi Nigel:
Did you fly at Quest today:
Not until February. I fly in on the 30th,
By Nigel Hewitt
skydog wrote:We should be at Wallaby February 5 -30th.
Bob
I'm 30th Jan to 3rd March.
It's only about 25miles. Maybe if we get a bad weather day we can do lunch.
By skydog
Crankin good day Sunday -
Sunday January 15, 2017 The forecast says sunny morning and mostly cloudy by noon. Sure enough the sky is 80 percent covered by noon but some of the blue areas are over Wallaby so a few of us get ready and by one pm we are in line with Todd going off first and I follow. Oded and George have gone to Table Tennis because of the cloudy forecast. Looks like Todd is doing OK so I get off over the warehouses and I keep bumping into small stuff and get down 500 feet and back up to 2,550 and finally I lose it and land with 25 minutes. I see a couple of others up around 3 grand so I get towed up again and release in about the same place and after some searching I hit the jackpot circling in the 400 fpm lift and drifting back over the orange groves keeping on the front edge of the clouds that almost totally cover the sky. Now I am at 3,500 ato and the lift has increased substantially and I am seeing 800 fpm sometimes as I try to stay as centered as possible. Oh, there are some ravens circling so I try to follow them but they head way downwind and I don' dare so I cruise to the south following the front edge of the cloud toward Hyw 4 and at one point I stop in a nice thermal that registers 1,457 fpm and this doozie takes be above base to 5,659 feet and now I am over Hyw 4 and watching the sun disappear behind me but it is still sunny south toward the hospital so I figure now that I am so high that I will head south until the lift dies and as it turns out the lift did not die and so I am past the hospital and I think well maybe I can make it into the wind and work my way up to he cloverleaf at 4 and 27. Wow, I did not loose to much at all going upwind and I am over the cloverleaf. OK so now what to do with all this cloudy sky, well I decide to head to the warehouses where I see a bit of sun and by the time I get there the sun has gone and there is not much lift left and I see Mick Robson landing his Carbon Dragon and I come in shortly after Mick with a flight time of 1 hour and 7 minutes. I enjoyed this flight more than others in a long time as I travelled so far up wind and found lift on a mostly cloudy day. Yahoo !!!
PICTURES AT -
http://www.skydogsports.com/hg-1/2017-Wallaby-Jan.htm
Young guy learning to fly

Nice Mikkel, is this at Fasterholt? I think your[…]

Thanks for the follow-up, that's very interesting!

I flew in an area that was bordered by a river o[…]

Gold-Star, Sky-Tag, Glass-off

I was planning on sleeping in yesterday when I not[…]