All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By Karl_A
20 knots at Walt's and a lot more than that at the Glass Factory?
By waltspoint
Wow, he was going backwards pretty good on landing. Good trick!
By AIRTHUG
Crazy Canadian, and not a USHPA member. Lucky SOB!

Proof again that people "don't know what they don't know" (and that's where the trouble begins!)
By Jason
Karl_A wrote:20 knots at Walt's and a lot more than that at the Glass Factory?
Out of the north no less

Launched right into a leeside rotor me thinks, fun..........
By flyhg1
Congratulations! You lived.
Actually found that instructive re how to unhook alone in gale force winds.

Quick query - is it possible to unlatch the nose wires while the wing is in whack position then flatten the wing?

If not, are there other techniques to break down a wing solo in strong winds with no wind-shadowed shelter or tie-downs available?

Thank you for your time.
Helix3 wrote:Actually found that instructive re how to unhook alone in gale force winds.

Quick query - is it possible to unlatch the nose wires while the wing is in whack position then flatten the wing?

If not, are there other techniques to break down a wing solo in strong winds with no wind-shadowed shelter or tie-downs available?

Thank you for your time.
If disconnecting the front wires is not possible for some reason, some gliders allow the apex of the control bar to be disconnected.

Practice getting the glider turned more than 90 degrees to the wind, with a lot of attention being paid to not allowing the upwind wing to come up. But a way to release the front wires or the bar apex is a good thing to have.
By Love2Glide
Evey one on launch thought this was a good idea! Strangely, no one else was flying.....
By Eteamjack
Hanggliding is suppose to be fun!
By red
Campers,

Any friend of John Lang probably should tell him, when you land in that much wind, do not try to carry the glider from the pilot's position. It's too easy to lose control of the wing. The glider can get tumbled and crumbled, if it gets away.

Instead, hold the nose wires (from the nosewire launch-helper position), and let the glider fly itself, nose into the wind, with the wheels very close to the ground. The pilot will have their back to the wind (nice!), the glider weighs almost nothing, and control is much easier and more certain. Lower the nose slightly to combat any occasional turbulence, until the air gets smoother.

If you lay the glider flat, your harness can be placed on the nose of the sail, to help keep the nose down during teardown. Release the crossbar, or the lufflines and washout struts (whichever is quicker) before doing anything else. You should have a rope that you can use to tie the nose down, and a dog's screw anchor where there are no good anchor points on the landscape.

:mrgreen:
By thermaleo
Any friend of John Lang's should tell him "Don't even think of taking off at Walts in that much wind!!" Low by the switchbacks to the left of launch can be frighteningly turbulent even in no wind....

Also spend $15 and replace that screw gate carabiner with a stainless steel twist lock one - you can then easily and quickly unhook with one hand. It would be a pity to land safely after a scary flight, only to lose control of the glider on the ground while still hooked to it ... I once landed in winds gusting to nearly 40 mph. in Idaho, no way could I have let go the wires with both hands to unhook.

Leo Jones
:shock:
By g billow
Well, best to check your wind forecast etc. first next time. Pretty sure that was a big rotor out of the north you launched into. There was a lot of dust in the air over by the airport coming down the valley from the north. I'm glad you got out of that safely. :roll:
By waveview
Eteamjack wrote:Hanggliding is suppose to be fun!
Anyone ever use this site for sled glides? 5000 ft AGL launch most wings would provide about an hour of great spectacular scenery. Flying at dawn well before it gets thermic? (maybe just before dawn).
By Dave Gills
I like to land near a cooler in case that sort of thing happens. :shock: :lol:
By Eteamjack
Dave Gills wrote:I like to land near a cooler in case that sort of thing happens. :shock: :lol:
I think next to a dumpster would be more appropriate
By once&future
Sorry to revive the thread, but I didn't have web access a couple of weeks ago when it was active and now have a question and a comment:

1. Is there a good way to get wind reports from the valley while on launch at Walt's?

Back in the 90's when I mostly flew there wasn't much and we had to rely on looking at clouds and/or dust coming off Owens lake bed - which was imperfect at best. Is there a radio report from Lone Pine airport or some equivalent? Since I typically camped up at Horseshoe Meadows (and will likely do so again this summer when I hope to return to OV flying) getting a look at valley conditions before heading up often wasn't an option.

2. One man's rotor is another man's thermal block - i.e. north conditions at Walt's aren't necessarily deadly.

I'd say that valley winds in excess of 20 mph or so from ANY direction make for hazardous flying in the OV, but 10-12ish out of the north really isn't that bad for Walt's. It's so sheltered from the valley that it will usually thermal block on launch. Yes, there will be rotor in the lee of Wonoga as you head out, but one can easily jump to the south side of the launch canyon into the more pleasant upslope flow and then head XC south. I've only done it rarely, but running the range south toward Mojave can be just as much fun as the more common northward flight paths.
By Karl_A
Try 760 876-4014 or 118.25 if your radio with receive that frequency. That's the Lone Pine airport AWOS-3 Automated Weather Observing System.
By red
once&future wrote:1. Is there a good way to get wind reports from the valley while on launch at Walt's?
Once&future,

This is Weatherbug for Lone Pine:

http://weather.weatherbug.com/weather-f ... e-ca-93545

This next link is Windy. Click/drag the map center around, and/or zoom in as needed. Click on the Time-Line ahead of the Time-Line cursor to see into the future. Map color shading and the Dots (wait for the Dots to load) will indicate directions and wind speeds for surface winds and winds aloft. Click the Surface tab, lower right corner, to see the Winds Aloft menu. Apps (in Tools) for Android, iOS phones. Lots of good stuff there.

https://www.windytv.com/36.583/-118.078 ... -118.655,9

The Weather Underground by ZIP code, with a wind forecast chart. They have apps for Android and iOS phones, see the links at the bottom of the page.

https://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fi ... uery=93545

:mrgreen:

Campers, Has anybody seen the ElectraFlyer? (No r[…]

The only learning curve I found was everything hap[…]

Deserves a go,mates. https://www.youtube.com/watch[…]

Some Fall Color in SoCal

Friday 2017.11.17 at Crestline.... http://www.you[…]