All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/sports/177191841.html

I was watching Fringe Season 4 on DVD w/ Mrs.NMERider when a friend called to say there was this mini-documentary on LA Channel 4 NBC about a paralyzed former hang glider pilot. It's a short piece and please excuse the loud commercial that NBC4 force you to listen to before their Flash media player presents a volume control.

The former pilot, now-paralyzed high school football coach is John Johnson who crashed on landing after launching from Mt Wilson in 1984. I'll look through the USHPA archives for any details. I'm sure some old-school Sylmar pilots will recall this incident.
By Fixinair
This is Mike's Brother. I have meet him a few times and he is a great guy!!!!
By David W. Johnson
Actually, there's a paraplegic fellow at Tennessee Tree Toppers that flies frequently. I've flown with him and helped him put his glider together. Can't recall his name.

David
By Windlord
That's a great piece on John Johnson. The power and will to accept and forge ahead. :thumbsup:
I'm sure, in the beginning, it was a total bummer to figure out .
By Willmrx
David W. Johnson wrote:Actually, there's a paraplegic fellow at Tennessee Tree Toppers that flies frequently. I've flown with him and helped him put his glider together. Can't recall his name.

David
Is it Chris Starbuck ?
By Phoenix
Heres another video of guy that rocks!
[youtube]
[/youtube]
By David W. Johnson
Chris rings a bell. He has wheels on his glider and they just roll him off the ramp when he tells them to.
By Jason
theayeinthesky wrote:Heres another video of guy that rocks!
[youtube]
[/youtube]
one leg
topless
no wheels

talk about no excuses

:thumbsup:
By blindrodie
RESPECT on so many levels.

8)
By Cal Glider
+++one leg
topless
no wheels

talk about no excuses

:thumbsup:

And I catch myself whining and crying because I can't pick up my my heavy blade wing...I still got two legs to launch my new F-4 (When I get it that is)

Bro, you got my respect!
By Felix
The guy is an inspiration.
In my opinion we all should think and act the same way he does - dedicated and doing it all perfectly, every time.
Bravo.
Take a look

Today will be "the" day for commercial a[…]

Great footage! But man, that slow-mo was really ki[…]

Campers, Has anybody seen the ElectraFlyer? (No r[…]

The only learning curve I found was everything hap[…]