Funny/Friendly Off topic discussion. Fail this test and threads will be migrated to Way Off Topic.

Moderators: sg, mods

By SeeHoweToFly
JR usually we are on completely different sides of, well just about everything. But when you're right you're right. My sincere apologies to you Davis and anyone else I offended.

I do believe the proof that a worldwide economic collapse is there to all who are.willing to look at the facts, but that's just my opinion :lol:

By JR
SeeHoweToFly wrote:JR usually we are on completely different sides of, well just about everything. But when you're right you're right. My sincere apologies to you Davis and anyone else I offended.

I do believe the proof that a worldwide economic collapse is there to all who are.willing to look at the facts, but that's just my opinion :lol:
I wasn't disagreeing with your opinion, just your suggestion that it was only Davis who seemed to have the attitude that he was always right.

I personally think that any impending economic crisis is a minor consideration when weighed against something like climate change and what that means for our society and the planet, in general, but like Nero fiddling while Rome is burning, everyone is entitled to choose their own form of paranoia and/or denial.

JR :)
By davisstraub
Chanting Obama's mantra? Where in the hell do you get that from this thread? Show me a single instance. I think that it is all in your head.

For example I wrote earlier on this thread:
Both Bush in 2007 and Obama in 2009 should have gone after these guys and there should be a few thousand of them in jail now (along with Cheney, etc.) Both of them were enablers of these crooks.
Read more: http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.ph ... z21sgDi25f
"Now Obama and Geithner are engaged in the same sort of activity, only they’re trying to prevent a run not on an individual bank, but the entire American financial services sector. Geithner seems really to believe that if fraud were aggressively policed, and the world made aware of the incredible extent of the illegality in our markets, that international confidence in the American financial sector would plummet and our economy would suffer – and suffer, incidentally, on Barack Obama’s watch."
Read more: http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.ph ... z21sgiF5j9
Of course, one has plenty of reasons to be angry with the federal government. The basic reason is its capture by Wall Street, and its ignoring of main street.

The problem is that the federal government is our basic means of carrying out the will of the vast majority of the people. It's having difficulty doing that at the moment. That's why we are angry with it.
Read more: http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.ph ... z21shCN0Ge

Get real.
By SeeHoweToFly
Really, who you voting for Davis?

And find some thing better than "get real" you really over use the term :thumbsup:
By davisstraub
I've used it twice here.

You are avoiding the fact that I have shown you to be incorrect in your characterization of my statements on this thread. A retraction from you would be considered sufficient.
By SeeHoweToFly
and I would consider you just annoying people at the OZ forum a good start, but then you had to come where all the pilots are :mosh:

I noticed you to avoided my question as is usual for you.
By davisstraub
You first.
By kwright
zagijimzoo wrote:A write in vote for Ron Paul would really help get rid of big gov't!

Ron Paul 2012!
Oh please...... :crazy:
By flyin_canuck
All you guys fighting over who is the realer Amercan...thought you might like this

On a box...on a shelf...Costco in Taiwan
Attachments
2012-07-27 17.22.34.jpg
2012-07-27 17.22.34.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 987 times
By adi
hmmm i watched four minutes of this... despite being quite entertaining this struck out at me. It was blaming the banks for giving out loans to people who didnt need, or couldnt afford them.

Duhhhh.. okay.. who is to blame here? The bank.. or the sap who took out a loan they couldnt afford, ignoring the consequences.
I've been skint in the past... seriously brassic skint.. watching and counting every penny. Did i take out a loan? yeah, that would have been a good option. Oh no, wait a minute.. i used common sense instead.

I've probably got the wrong end of the stick.. or maybe i missed the point.. but blaming the banks for one's own supidity seems a bit fecking stupid. The banks cant force you to borrow money,. Instead, you, me or anyone else ASKS for it.

Maybe the film put across a better message later on.. i dunno.. i gave up.
By noman3
adi wrote:hmmm i watched four minutes of this... despite being quite entertaining this struck out at me. It was blaming the banks for giving out loans to people who didnt need, or couldnt afford them.

Duhhhh.. okay.. who is to blame here? The bank.. or the sap who took out a loan they couldnt afford, ignoring the consequences.
I've been skint in the past... seriously brassic skint.. watching and counting every penny. Did i take out a loan? yeah, that would have been a good option. Oh no, wait a minute.. i used common sense instead.

I've probably got the wrong end of the stick.. or maybe i missed the point.. but blaming the banks for one's own supidity seems a bit fecking stupid. The banks cant force you to borrow money,. Instead, you, me or anyone else ASKS for it.

Maybe the film put across a better message later on.. i dunno.. i gave up.
ya you gave up to soon.I put the cartoon up to bring attention to the fact that the fed is printing money with nothing to back it.
By davisstraub
...the fed is printing money with nothing to back it.

And this is new news?

All central banks print money with nothing to back it.

That nothing is the confidence that it will be accepted as legal tender. That's it.That's all there is there.
By gluesniffer
Yeah Davis that's all we have left is confidence, and this is waining. Nixon ended the gold standard in the seventies and now our currency is fiat s---. The dollar which is the world's reserve currency, which was about 80 % of what the world held has now slipped to about 60%. The bric countries have been throwing around the idea of a new currency, which would be pegged to a basket of commodities. The world is waking up to the fact that America has a monoply on the currency and is expanding the money supply out of control, and it is not sustainable. No other country in the history of the world has created this much debt which by the way just exceeded our gdp, which is regarded by many sound economists as the point of no return.

The fed just lent 16 trillion out and to who? For all we know it could just be to themselves to buy up real commodities, and when the house of cards fall, they are holding stuff of actual value why everyone else holding dollars that has no value because why, lack of confidence in the biggest ponzi scheme in the history of the world.

Just try to at least explain the 16 trillion davis. It's not about you or the banks, this thread is about the fed.
By davisstraub
The $16 Trillion is irrelevant. The Fed was acting as the lender of last resort, as well it should.

Of course, you have, or feel that you have, little confidence in the money, but in actuality you take it and give it for real payment for goods and services every day.

Of course, your everyday natural actions are likely to be disconnected from your lack of confidence about the future. Many Americans feel that things will not go well in the future, but it is hard to say.

Our debt is almost irrelevant. Japan has twice the debt that we do and is loaned funds at very low rates (the bond market is confident it will get paid back in Yen that is worth something). Same is true in the US. The market completely disagrees with your lack of confidence, and they have real "fiat" money in the game.

The gold standard is what is screwing Greece, Spain, Ireland, Portugal, and Italy at the moment. The euro is the stand in for gold. The gold standard means that a country is not in charge of its own financial destiny.

Look, I completely disagree with your position on finance, debt, the economy, and the Fed. I may be wrong, and you may be wrong. We'll see what happened.

Right now I feel that the Republican Congress is creating the financial problems in this country and the Fed isn't doing enough to counteract them by sticking to its mandate to increase inflation.
By gluesniffer
Uh Davis the euro is fiat..

Confidence is important like you say, and when debt spirals out of control, confidence is decreased, and that's why the 16 trillion matters. Honestly you are quite misinformed. :(
By davisstraub
Look, I am not misinformed at all. I have a much different point of view and set of facts than you. You may feel that your position is correct. I find that it is not.

The Euro acts like a gold standard because it restricts the national actions of the countries that adopted it, just like the gold standard does. I have plenty of evidence for this.

I realize that being confronted by someone who completely disagrees with you on the facts and the requirements for action based on those facts is uncomfortable, but claiming that I am misinformed as not going to do it.
By gluesniffer
Davis I am not uncomfortable with your opinion, I am bewildered by your beliefs. A different set of facts, like your facts and reality....

The euro is fiat, backed by nothing, fact. There is a euro crisis, hopefully you have heard of that fact.

Another fact is arguing with you is like arguing with a brick wall.

I repeat the euro is fiat, backed by nothing. Class dismissed Mr

Different set of facts....that's good :ahh: :ahh: :crazy: :ahh: :surrender: :sleep:
By noman3
here let me help some.Milton Friedman might ring a bell.

[youtube]
[/youtube]
By slimchance
[youtube]
[/youtube]

:mosh:
By davisstraub
Milton the Keynesian!

We have very different views of what reality consists of. I was being nice when I allowed that you may have any facts on your side. You don't.

I'm sorry that you can't understand how the euro can act like the gold standard.

Hey Brosig, I hope you don't mind that I hijack[…]

I've applied to join the Facebook FLPHG group. I […]

Hang gliding is one thing, but paragliding is just[…]

If Hang Glider Pilots Were Kangaroos

Yes, I've flown a bit of r/c, it was quite enjoyab[…]