Funny/Friendly Off topic discussion. Fail this test and threads will be migrated to Way Off Topic.

Moderators: sg, mods

By gryph
Okay, seriously - what the hell? Speaking in a public place is vocal broadcasting. How the hell is he at fault for "felony wiretapping?" That's the moral equivalent of taping something off the air on a VCR (which has been legal for years).
By PilotGuy
This is the direction our society is going. We pass ridiculous laws under the pretense that "if you're not a criminal, you don't have anything to worry about". Makes me want to puke.
By sg
Being an innocent passenger, if he had known the law, and said "officer, im just informing you that im taping this asrequired by law", and starts taping....

I wonder if the officer has any authority at all to make him turn it off? On what grounds? They may claim that you are interfering with a police action or something, but I dont see how that would hold up in court.

This is exactly where orgs like the ACLU need to step in and stomp some nazi's in court, instead of wasting their time on some of the kooky fringe cases they take.
By xerxes
To turn The Man's argument against him:

If you're not doing anything wrong then you don't have anything to worry about. It's for you own good, to protect you from the terrorists and from yourself. It's for the children. It's for our country. God is on our side!

gimme a break.
By DocSoc
xerxes wrote:To turn The Man's argument against him:

If you're not doing anything wrong then you don't have anything to worry about. It's for you own good, to protect you from the terrorists and from yourself. It's for the children. It's for our country. God is on our side!

gimme a break.
I don't know if I'm reading this right XerXes:
Are you For giving your rights away for psuedo protection from the man? Or, are you making fun at those that think that it's OK to do so?

-S
By ClandestineSwine
This will probably ruffle some feathers, but ...

If I'm outside the confines of my4 walls, driving down the road, walking in public, or whatever, I don't expect any "right to privacy". That goes for anything and anyone regardless of position / stature / who your daddy is.

This whole bit of "wiretapping" is being applied to broadly. And frankly, I thought the intent of privacy, in it's original format, was to keep the government out of my business, not the other way around.
By Wingspan34
In this case the cop, then the DA, is/are abusing their power. And, in fact, are harassing this individual by way of false arrest, wrongful imprisonment and malicious prosecution.

I spent the time to read the posted replies to the news story and PA law does NOT give the officer any right to not be taped, via video or audio. He's a public servant doing a public duty in a public place. The cop didn't know the details of the law, arrested this young man and now the DA is backing him up to intimidate the kid from suing, justifiably. This is the worst kind of abuse of the legal system. Bad cop supported by corrupt DA.

I hope the kid can find (or is contacted by) a GOOD lawyer, and fights this.

This kind of stuff burns me up! :punch: :punch: :punch:

PS - As HG piolts, I hope we are offended by these violations of our (more typical) freedoms. After all, what we do is one of the ultimate expressions of freedom. If "they" can mess with a simple right to video tape a public servant in a public place, then how far are they from messing with our right to fly? Think about it. Heck, they've done it at Mt. Sentinel ! The only catch there is that the launch is on private lands (as are many HG sites).

Good post Jason.
By sg
Wingspan34 wrote: I spent the time to read the posted replies to the news story and PA law does NOT give the officer any right to not be taped, via video or audio. He's a public servant doing a public duty in a public place. The cop didn't know the details of the law, arrested this young man and now the DA is backing him up to intimidate the kid from suing, justifiably.
I think Wingspan34 just nailed it right here. Police officers are in a very difficult situation, since its impossible for them to know every single law inside and out, but I just dont see how he reasonably thought it would be illegal for an innocent bystander to video tape a public servant doing his job :x He crossed the line.

The DA should also get nailed for intimidation. Hell, Nifong just got disbarred for pulling complete BS on the Duke lacross players. This DA is blowing smoke too.

Good lord people why has it been "Walk Jog &q[…]

How to edit posts?

If the GEAR icon in the upper right hand corner of[…]

That works too!

Solid props vs. folding props

I have heard it said that a solid prop gives more […]