.

.

All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

#237722
Hang glider injured in crash at Fort Funston
TAGS: fort funston hang glider hang gliding san francisco
COMMENTS (0) SHARE PRINT
By: Bay City News 05/20/11 4:24 PM

AP file photo
A man was injured in a hang gliding crash on a cliff side in San Francisco’s Fort Funston on Friday afternoon, a fire department spokeswoman said.

A witness spotted the man go down while he was flying a hang glider at about 3:10 p.m., fire spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said.

Responding crews found him upside down in the glider about 70 feet down the side of a cliff a short time later. He was conscious and complaining of pain, Talmadge said.

Paramedics were preparing to transport the victim to a hospital as of about 3:45 p.m.



Read more at the San Francisco Examiner: http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/2011/05 ... z1Mx4Geqja


Anyone have any further info?








User avatar
By ribeye67
#237727
Does anybody know who it was? All I heard on the radio was that it was an experienced pilot and an instructor.
User avatar
By fakeDecoy
#237728
When there's a major crash at the Fort, the first question we should ask is, "Was it Eric?"
By 88002
#237731
I heard it was Eric.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
User avatar
By AIRTHUG
#237738
From David Kiesling's FaceBook post:
Eric may have broken his back at Funston today. Failed wingover close to the ground. Stable and conscious. Another guy went down safely under parachute after losing control in a T2, unrelated, but immediately afterward.
And then in the comments, David said:
John also went a little nuts after all the excitement and ground-tossed his parachute and it dragged him down the field in the wind.
Sounds like a busy day :ahh:
User avatar
By hgflyer
#237740
AIRTHUG wrote:From David Kiesling's FaceBook post:
Eric may have broken his back at Funston today. Failed wingover close to the ground. Stable and conscious. Another guy went down safely under parachute after losing control in a T2, unrelated, but immediately afterward.
And then in the comments, David said:
John also went a little nuts after all the excitement and ground-tossed his parachute and it dragged him down the field in the wind.
Sounds like a busy day :ahh:
I chomped at the bit all day long to get out to the Fort today. Conditions looked EPIC from morning, noon to sunset. It's real easy to get excited when conditions are perfect! When conditions (Mother Nature) are perfect...The only things left to push are our personal limits and equipment.

There are no simple answers to tragedy...Just a culmination of factors to add, subtract, divide or multiply.

A speedy recovery to all who have endured mentally, physically or emotionally.
By day dreamer
#237741
[youtube]
[/youtube]
User avatar
By Cloudhopper
#237743
Oh crap.... Sorry to hear about Eric. Who tossed the laundry?
User avatar
By JV-Joe
#237748
AIRTHUG wrote: And then in the comments, David said:
John also went a little nuts after all the excitement and ground-tossed his parachute and it dragged him down the field in the wind.
Sounds like a busy day :ahh:
to lighten the mood today, this happened...


[youtube]
[/youtube]
User avatar
By Spark
#237756
wow, bad news. Crashing stinks. :(

I'm hoping Eric has a full recovery.
User avatar
By Cloudhopper
#237771
I read that someone lost control of their t2 and deployed... Is this a misreporting of John's chute play?
User avatar
By Skyhighwoman
#237774
Eric have a speedy recovery!!! Maybe now?!?!?!? :crazy:

He is on the same path as Rotor. :ahh:

:surrender:



Carm
User avatar
By Skyhighwoman
#237776
read that someone lost control of their t2 and deployed... Is this a misreporting of John's chute play?
I guess that is true. It was not John but someone else on a brand new t2c. sounds like he threw his chute because he was in a lockout (? ). It saved his butt. Broke a DT only. I guess it could had been much worse.

Quick thinking to throw the chute!! :shock:
User avatar
By jimrooney
#237794
I think I missed something... how do you lockout at a ridge soaring site?

Jim
By noman3
#237802
jimrooney wrote:I think I missed something... how do you lockout at a ridge soaring site?

Jim

must have been the safety meeting that locked him out.
User avatar
By mlbco
#237808
Is there anyone who can give some facts on these incidents? The Funston discussion list says:

"Postby Rafael Lavin » Fri May 20, 2011 9:19 pm
The pilot was Eric Mies and he hurt his back really bad this time >He tumble and threw his reserve but didn't open.
I will have more details as soon as I talk to pilots that saw the whole thing..
Raffy"

There seems to be confusion about a separate deployment incident and Eric's crash. Does it really need to be this difficult just to find out what events transpired? Someone out there must know..

Steve
User avatar
By jose9878
#237809
It was 2 incidents about 2 minutes apart. The guy on the T2 tossed his laundry after getting into a spin over the water fountain, in the video interview afterwards he says something to the effect of him starting to black out...so he tossed it. The reserve opened, oscillated, collapsed & reopened about 10 feet off the ground. He walked away with a broken downtube and a bruised ego. While he was still shaking it off and everyone was around him, Eric tumbled. He tossed his reserve but there wasn't enough altitude for deployment. He was alert & conscious when the group got to him, including a nurse (walking on the beach) and a paramedic (the guy who tossed his laundry). After all the commotion John tossed his reserve on the ground (it needed a repack).

One of the best things to do in these situations is to use the emergency phone located at the corner of the parking lot. It goes directly to 911 and they know your exact location. The San Francisco and Daly City paramedics where there within 10 minutes.
User avatar
By mlbco
#237810
jose9878 wrote:It was 2 incidents about 2 minutes apart. The guy on the T2 tossed his laundry after getting into a spin over the water fountain, in the video interview afterwards he says something to the effect of him starting to black out...so he tossed it. The reserve opened, oscillated, collapsed & reopened about 10 feet off the ground. He walked away with a broken downtube and a bruised ego. While he was still shaking it off and everyone was around him, Eric tumbled. He tossed his reserve but there wasn't enough altitude for deployment. He was alert & conscious when the group got to him, including a nurse (walking on the beach) and a paramedic (the guy who tossed his laundry). After all the commotion John tossed his reserve on the ground (it needed a repack).

One of the best things to do in these situations is to use the emergency phone located at the corner of the parking lot. It goes directly to 911 and they know your exact location. The San Francisco and Daly City paramedics where there within 10 minutes.
Thanks for the info Jose! A very strange couple of minutes for the Fort.

Steve
User avatar
By Cloudhopper
#237890
Has anyone heard anything more about Eric's condition? I'm still confused about the reported T2 pilot to "got into a spin" and was "going to black out" so he tossed... Who was the pilot, and was this his first flight on a new wing. I cant remember the last time anyone deployed at Funston... two tosses in two minutes? Unbelievable!
Last edited by Cloudhopper on Mon May 23, 2011 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
By Willmrx
#237898
Is there video?

Hey Brosig, I hope you don't mind that I hijack[…]

I've applied to join the Facebook FLPHG group. I […]

Hang gliding is one thing, but paragliding is just[…]

If Hang Glider Pilots Were Kangaroos

Yes, I've flown a bit of r/c, it was quite enjoyab[…]