Post your videos as file attachments here. One video per topic please!

Moderators: sg, mods

By Avolare
Alright, this is my first ever youtube video and thread. I appreciate everyone's advice on the Mac (love it, however it has locked up 5 times since I bought it two weeks ago. I tried to transfer too much at once from an external hard drive).

This was a very short flight at BlueSky Flight Park. The right wing lifted slightly just before release, I corrected easily enough only to have it lifted again to the point I just had to release. And for what its worth, corn stalks on the top of your feet at 20mph is rather unpleasant while wearing Tevas.

[youtube]
[/youtube]
Last edited by Avolare on Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Avolare
How did you do that? I clicked on the youtube tab, nothing happened.
:x

What do most use to convert an mp4 into iMovie? Thanks
By $!><
If you want to post a Youtube video, click the YouTube tab, the paste the link to your video, then click the Youtube tab again. Hit preview and it will show you what you are about to post. Then submit it.

I don't use MAC stuff so can't answer that.
By $!><
Oh...my take on a MAC. :P (Repost of this video but it fits this thread nicely)

[youtube]
[/youtube]
By Avolare
I actually have tears in my eyes, hysterical.....
:roflcat: :roflcat: :roflcat: :roflcat: :roflcat:

I should have said I like it, not love it. I think it's just the uniqueness of a new system that has me enamored. Not yet drinking the apple juice yet.
thanks
Last edited by Avolare on Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By AIRTHUG
In a nutshell.... PULL INNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

Your position in the below photo, is exactly what aerobatic pilots look like while doing spins. You're high-siding to correct for the turn... but you're also pushing way out.

When you lean right to turn, the glider turns because you're loading up the right wing more, causing more sail billow on that side. You're also UN-loading the left wing, allowing it to get flatter and more efficient.

Hang gliders have twist at the tips, so that generally the root of the wing stalls before the tips (because the root is at a higher angle of attack than the tips, due to the twist in the wing).

Well, if you think about these principles... leaning right removes some twist from the left wing, increasing it's angle of attack. Leaning right also adds twist to the right wing, lowering it's angle of attack. Do this, and push out the right amount, and you can stall one wing, while keeping the other wing flying. Hold that position, and you can KEEP one wing stalled, while the other wing continues to fly around and around....

It looks something like this:

It's fun when you do it on purpose.... not so much when it's unintentional :shock:

Although I obviously don't practice what I preach, I don't really condone doing spins..... but I DO think it's important that people understand the aerodynamics involved, so they can NOT do them :thumbsup:

Moral of the story... pull in while correcting a lifted wing
Attachments
Picture 1.png
Picture 1.png (211.91 KiB) Viewed 8010 times
By Avolare
flyhigh013 wrote:In a nutshell.... PULL INNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

Moral of the story... pull in while correcting a lifted wing
I agree. Woulda-shoulda- but didn't. Thanks Ryan.
By tokyoDirk
Agree with previous comments re: pulling in.

But I think you did some things right that really saved you.
You reacted quickly and with some manly corrections. You also released quickly and didn't mess around.

Had you done smaller corrections or cross-controlled or failed to release you would have been in trouble.
:thumbsup:

I've never truck towed, but it seems to me you'd want to maintain a bit of extra airspeed until you get a safe altitude then start focusing on the climb.
By Avolare
Thanks for the kind words Mooncricket. This is the first time I have had a turn that I couldn't quickly correct for in many years (at least 17).
Talking with Steve after the flight, I assumed I had crossed controlled. The video has been very helpful. Case in point, which hand to take off the bar while correcting aggressively, and I should pull in to correct a turn under tow too. I'm thinking that subconsciously, I knew which hand had less pressure, therefore which hand to use. But, I really can't tell you that was my thought process.
Pulling in more for the first 300' or so would have been better, and probably prevented the whole situation.
Go pro has also shown me an intermittent problem with my transition to upright on final.
Still a student pilot....always learning.
By $!><
Pardon my newb questions here as I have never towed.

If in this situation, it does indeed look like it is difficult to "fix" this situation especially the closer you are to the ground and less air speed you have.

What are the chances that the release doesn't work during this moments? I would imagine you really have to be quick to get out of this situation, but if you can't release are you severely screwed? I don't think anyone but Mr. Spock would be thinking hook knife if the attempt to release fails nor do I think most people would have the time to pull it out and cut the line in time either. I know you have another release to try but you really don't look like you have a lot of time.

Would the weak link break in time? Has a weak link ever not been so weak?
By Avolare
$!>< wrote:Pardon my newb questions here as I have never towed.

If in this situation, it does indeed look like it is difficult to "fix" this situation especially the closer you are to the ground and less air speed you have.

What are the chances that the release doesn't work during this moments? I would imagine you really have to be quick to get out of this situation, but if you can't release are you severely screwed? I don't think anyone but Mr. Spock would be thinking hook knife if the attempt to release fails nor do I think most people would have the time to pull it out and cut the line in time either. I know you have another release to try but you really don't look like you have a lot of time.

The weak link should break with a lockout. I wasn't locked out, but getting close. Had I been locked out, and the release not worked, I would have been screwed. So, pin off early to prevent it from going that far. Other than that, pray you have a good tow operator.
The release we use is called a 3 ring circus, very simple and very reliable.
By pud
Avolare wrote: ...The weak link should break with a lockout...
Here we go again :P

Why should a weak link break in a lockout?
A lockout can occur, at tensions well below even the weakest of weak link values (or at least anything that will get you off of the ground). Sure it might break but it is just as likely not to until you hit the ground.

Is this not basic stuff?
By gasdive
$!>< wrote:Pardon my newb questions here as I have never towed.

Yes, fixing is hard.

Yes, fixing is harder near the ground, but it can be equally hard quite a long way up in the air. I've seen a locked out glider use up about 300 feet of altitude in about 3 seconds. Fortunately he was about 320 ft up when he locked out and he pulled out about 20 ft above the ground.

Yes, if you can't release you are indeed severely screwed (often dead)

Yes, no human can control the glider and get the hook knife out, you need two hands to control the glider and two hands to get out the hook knife and use it.

Yes, people in that situation, even if the had 4 arms, do not have enough time to pull out the knife and cut the line

No, the weak link will not break in time, that's not what it's for. It's there to prevent overloading the glider, you can be locked out and slammed into the ground without ever coming close to the loads needed to break the glider (or the weak link)

Cheers Jason =:)
By jjcote
And the elephant in the room: why are you flying with sandals? :dopeslap:
By Avolare
jjcote wrote:And the elephant in the room: why are you flying with sandals? :dopeslap:
Why not? I usually enjoy a nice Teva tan by the end of summer. :)
By jjcote
Avolare wrote:
jjcote wrote:And the elephant in the room: why are you flying with sandals? :dopeslap:
Why not? I usually enjoy a nice Teva tan by the end of summer. :)
Suit yourself, but don't complain when your toes encounter uncomfortable things. (I wear sandals all summer, but not when I'm flying.)
By Bobfly
During my aerotow training, my instructor intentionally put us into a left turn lockout to show me what it was like told me to "get it back". Well, of course, I couldn't and he then hit the release but we were in lockout for roughly 3 seconds and the weak link didn't break.

During launch on a solo tow, the weaklink broke 2 seconds after liftoff. Not very reliable stuff. Wouldn't want to bet my life on it working.

Nice save on that lockout. Very quick reaction on the pin-off.
By Bobfly

I think almost everybody flying in the Spectacular had sandals on. Tennis shoes were useless because they filled with sand rather quickly. Boots would have been a pain in the deep sand. Sandals fit the bill perfectly as long as they strapped on tightly.

Very nice! Have you thought about flying seated? I[…]

Not going to play these silly bobK games. People […]

Don't forget the hook-in check especially before c[…]

I guess since were halfway through the comp, if an[…]