Post your videos as file attachments here. One video per topic please!

Moderators: sg, mods

By Tex
I finally got all the things together that I needed to get started on making some videos. I planned a trip at the beginning of October to go out to Dalby 21st -26th Oct, to get in some spring flying and try my hand at movie making.

Please bear in mind this is the first time I have attached a video camera to a Hang Glider, so it was a little experimental (filming and editing), I missed some real good shots for various reasons (like the camera dropping on the mount first tow out and then on first keel mounting attempt there) but also picked up some good ones as well. For 5 days we took to the air, one day was blown out, and we flew one that we probably should have called that way as well.

Anyway here is Day 1 http://www.vimeo.com/2097597

Day 2 http://www.vimeo.com/2104314

Day 4/5 http://www.vimeo.com/2132597
Last edited by Tex on Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By CHassan
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nice! Maybe a little long but not to bad for a first go! (Better than I have done!) Also good to see you use vimeo instead of bootube.
By Tex
CHassan wrote::thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nice! Maybe a little long...
Yes indeed - I ran out of song LOL, you can get wrapped up in trying to squeeze as much of the flight in as possible, I will try to be more ruthless from here on in.
By AF
Nice work Texy ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mate just a thought, not sure which cam you have but can it accept a wider angle lens ? That would help the viewer to see a bit more of the area being flown over.

Cant get over the image quality on Vimeo.. .. to hell with youtube !

cheers

A
By Tex
It is a HD 1010 filmed in 1280x720 60fps and believe it or not that is a wide angle lens - a very cheap EBAY job though - had to tape it on as the thread was wrong so I do not get all the 'wideness', saving up for a semi fish eye :thumbsup:
By relate2
Way to go Tex, you did very well mate. Wasn't too long for me as I don't fly inland anymore it was beautiful to see good quality video of the patchwork quilt passing below you.

As someone else said thank God for Vimeo, youtube just does not do justice to this type of flying. I look forward to your next section of the video.

Cheers

Robert
By Tex
Thanks Robert - it was your videos and passion for it that got me to pull my finger out and make it happen :thumbsup:
By relate2
Just a note for anyone, i just downloaded Tex's video from Vimeo...down the bottom right hand corner is a link to the original video. It looks even better than through Vimeo.

Full screen on my wide screen monitor I almost feel like I am flying the glider. :mrgreen:
By kamikaze
great first go tex,looking forward to the next release! And as everyones said heaps better than pootube .
:thumbsup:
By Tex
Day 2 The day of the finger, we flipped the bird at the wind - it punched back. Dedicated to NOMAN NOW PISS OFF! :shock:
http://www.vimeo.com/2104314
The drip on my nose is like the Totem of a good flight. Bring on the drippy nose :drool:
By Tex
Day 4/5 posted The second of two Wedgie attacks for the week in this one.

http://www.vimeo.com/2132597
By Tex
Roger! Fixed Thx Robert
By relate2
Beautiful video Tex. It looked like hard work at the beginning of the tow. Bugger about the Wedgie. :cry:

I loved the view from the keel, very nice, I will have to get my finger out and set mine up to do a few keel videos. What settings did you use for your camera, in particular focus settings, it looked very clear and sharp?

EDIT=====> Could you also let us know what compression ratios you are using with wmv? I am trying to find the right balance between clarity and size. Trying to compress 3 gig of video down to below 500meg is tricky. I spent most of last Saturday on the ground taking videos of everyone and getting that balance is hard. I may have to fork out for the payed version of Vimeo. :mrgreen:
By Wagner24314
love watching areo tow videos
By AF
Great Vids Tex ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Really liked the latest one... Gives me a good Idea of how to handle a tow when I finally can get out to Dalby and do the aerotow course.

Man that wedgie hit hard !

Ive heard their screams while flying but haven't had a run in with one yet...hope I never do.

maybe a little of this on the wing :)
Attachments
piss off.jpg
piss off.jpg (194.32 KiB) Viewed 3961 times
By Tex
relate2 wrote:Beautiful video Tex. It looked like hard work at the beginning of the tow. Bugger about the Wedgie. :cry:
What settings did you use for your camera, in particular focus settings, it looked very clear and sharp?

EDIT=====> Could you also let us know what compression ratios you are using with wmv... :mrgreen:

Thanks Robert!

Yes it was a pretty rough tow out, as you can see we were losing altitude there a few times - Smokey (the tuggie) ramped up the speed a bit to cut through the crap faster for the good air and it had me working a bit harder than normal. Still a rough tow usually means big air :thumbsup:

OK so I am using 1280x720 @ 60fps on the camera using the standard auto focus (which really does not like the wide angle lens and looses focus far too much if you do any zooming at all).

Sorry I can not help with the WMV compression settings, I could not stand clunking through different programs per "Steve's Forum's" (and still had to rotate the keel footage) so bit the bullet and bought Pinnacle Plus 12 - I just click "Make Movie" and select WMV output which has the best (smallest) finished size in MB I will chase it up some more to see if I can see what it is set at..
AF wrote:Great Vids Tex ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Really liked the latest one... Gives me a good Idea of how to handle a tow when I finally can get out to Dalby and do the aerotow course.
Man that wedgie hit hard !
Ive heard their screams while flying but haven't had a run in with one yet...hope I never do. maybe a little of this on the wing :)
Thanks AF I will take a 20 litre drum :thumbsup: I will do up another short clip where the little ferker harassed me the day before and kept on trying the top wires to see what would happen. Unfortunately the camera dropped on roll out and the whole video is of the back of my harness. Still the audio is pretty funny.... Damn shame as I managed to close a 100km triangle that day, well 99.7km but I am calling 100 :twisted:
By relate2
Thanks Tex, don't worry about digging any deeper on the compression ratio for wmv. It is just that I am using an option that allows me to choose the bitrate of the compression and I thought you might have known what you used. I am still experimenting to find the best combination of compression to quality.

Regarding the zooming and focus, yes it can be a bit of a problem. I use the focus lock sometimes to get around that. So did you have the wide angle on for this last video or was that the standard lens?

I am in the process of uploading another video from last Saturday focusing more on the pilots at Stanwell instead of just in flight vision.
By Tex
Yup, Wide angle used on them all. Do I look fat? :wink: