Announce and track hang gliding events
By Rick M
Is anyone planning on going to the 2019 Green Swamp Sport Klassic?

It's the last week of March at Wilotree Field (Quest) near Orlando, Fla.

It's a mentored sport class XC competition so it's a great way to gain XC experience without the pressure of a "real" competition.

Hope to see you there.
By remmoore
Why wait for a comp to start flying XC? Limiting XC experiences to comps means missing out on lots of great XC flying IMO. I’ve had countless amazing XC adventures without being told where/when to go and which direction to turn.

Get out and do it!

RM
By red
remmoore wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:40 pmWhy wait for a comp to start flying XC? Limiting XC experiences to comps means missing out on lots of great XC flying IMO. I’ve had countless amazing XC adventures without being told where/when to go and which direction to turn.
Get out and do it!
RM
Campers,

. . . :yay: . . . :yay: . . .

I have exactly ZERO interest in _ANYBODY_ telling me were/when to turn.

I fly for FUN !!
By Rick M
remmoore wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:40 pm Why wait for a comp to start flying XC? Limiting XC experiences to comps means missing out on lots of great XC flying IMO. I’ve had countless amazing XC adventures without being told where/when to go and which direction to turn.
Who said anything about waiting? Who said anything about limiting XC experiences to comps?

This is simply another way to learn and improve one's skills. It's fun. It's educational. It's flying.
By remmoore
Well great - comp it up.

Meanwhile, I encourage pilots who are interested in XC to do what most pilots have done for years, which is to spread your wings and fly free. XC is an amazing experience, where you call the shots. Free to go where you choose, based on your own decision points. it's a magical feeling, to be tuning into the natural world and not burdened with the rules imposed by much of what we do as modern humans.

RM
By Lucky_Chevy
In defense of competitions:

Entry comps like the Green Swamp and TTT event are like finishing school for the budding XC pilot. There are plenty of friendly people to explain how to setup your vario, radio, or harness and answer any question you may have. Coaches will provide you some guidance in the air and critique your performance. Plus, you have a bit of a yardstick to measure your performance against other pilots, and have a guaranteed ride after you land.

Have fun and prepare to learn a bunch and take your flying to the next level
By Lucky_Chevy
Hey Everyone,

If you're looking for a laidback competition on the East Coast, check out the ECC. You can check out the details and pilot list on Airtribune: https://airtribune.com/east-coast-champ ... -2019/info

This comp is USHPA and CIVL sanctioned, but it's really more about an extended group of friends, getting together to fly some XC for the week and try to set some personal bests. Hosted in Ridgely MD, on the beautiful DEL-MAR-VA peninsula, the airfield is surrounded by landable fields and will take place in early June.

The sign up is open and currently there are about an even number of open and sport class pilots attending. Consider attending if you want to fly XC, improve your flying, and make some new friends.

Hope to see you there,

Dan
By entelin
remmoore wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:40 pmWhy wait for a comp to start flying XC? Limiting XC experiences to comps....
Almost everyone that flys comps also are basically constantly doing XC outside of comps as well. They are at the comps because XC is what they love to do and want more of it. Almost everyone, even at the GSSK as already at least had a few xc flights beforehand. Most pilots at comps are there first and foremost to have a fun week of xc with others that want the same. Good luck getting dozens of pilots to fly xc with you outside of a comp.
red wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:35 pmI have exactly ZERO interest in _ANYBODY_ telling me were/when to turn.
Task flying is in effect just a series of agreed on goals, how you get there and what route you take is entirely up to you. Even outside of comps, setting a task ahead of time and trying to achieve it can be very compelling. Having a bunch of people trying to accomplish the same goals is incredibly educational in a way that solo flying just isn't. It removes a lot of the speculation out of the equation, like for example "was that better looking street to the right but off course-line better than the weaker one on courseline?", "was going deeper into to this mountain better than not doing so?", etc. Some people probably made those decisions and you can then compare. You can also see what really was possible on the day. What climbs were truly available in what areas, even if you didn't make it to them. The GSSK in particular is a fantastic educational opportunity for pilots that want to improve on their xc flying.
By remmoore
The best parts of your comp description are what I find at a fly-in - minus the do-as-your-told format. Lots of pilots flying XC together and having a great time. There have also been many times I’ve flown XC with a bunch of buddies outside of any format - then went home to sleep in my own bed. Beautiful!

Investing major time and money on a comp doesn’t work for many of us, and the comp structure can be repellent. My message to pilots who fit in this category is - don’t feel like comps are the only (or even best) option for getting XC experience. Plenty of local or regional sites have good XC potential. Get together with your local XC hounds and have them teach you what these sites have to offer. You will have a great time doing it YOUR way!

RM
By entelin
remmoore wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:24 amGet together with your local XC hounds and have them teach you what these sites have to offer.
I mean... obviously right? Are there comp pilots who don't also fly XC at their home sites? Comps almost by definition are something you do in addition to your own XC flying. Mentored events like the GSSK or Team Challenge though are mostly educational events, and are an excellent opportunity to grow as a pilot.

I don't really understand why there are those that feel the need to s--- on a post made in the hanggliding events section. Particularly one aimed at promoting an excellent event aimed at connecting experienced xc pilots with advancing xc pilots. Last year the GSSK had 60 some pilots, mentors included some of the worlds top pilots including Johnny, Christian, Zac, and many others. If you think that's not worth the money.... well that's your opinion, I'd strongly disagree.
remmoore wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:24 amdon’t feel like comps are the only (or even best) option for getting XC experience
This is not always true. There are some sites that have an xc culture and others that actively try to discourage it. Some sites are not as conducive to XC as others, and some are overtly dangerous. Florida, and other flatlands locations for many can be an excellent place to get xc experience. Also, and this is the case with me, March and early April tend to be a bit early yet for flying. So going down to Florida is a great way to kick off the flying season and prepare for my flying at home.
By remmoore
entelin wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:45 am I mean... obviously right? Are there comp pilots who don't also fly XC at their home sites? Comps almost by definition are something you do in addition to your own XC flying. I don't really understand why there are those that feel the need to s--- on a post made in the hanggliding events section.
I don't know if all comp pilots fly XC recreationally, or how much they do. What I do know is there are many XC pilots who don't fly comps - many more than those who trek off to compete. Experienced XC pilots who are quite happy to help local XC-newbs leave the nest and taste another level of freedom.

Contrasting and comparing XC to comps isn't the same as "sh*ttng". Those who want to compete have a way to satisfy their desires, and are free to comp it up. For those new to XC, however, they should know that good options exist and there are many more XC pilots ready to help outside of a comp format.

RM
By entelin
remmoore wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:21 am... Experienced XC pilots who are quite happy to help local XC-newbs...
Local flying, and getting advice from other local pilots is irreplaceable and inevitably makes up the bulk of the flying that anyone does. Flying elsewhere, getting different experiences, and getting different advice from other people is also valuable. It's not some either/or decision, everyone flys their local sites. I assume you're not going to try and argue that going to GSSK or other comps in addition to your regular flying will make you a worse pilot? So why try and put down the event? I can say from my own experience that flying comps has made me a vastly better pilot than I would have been otherwise. Every pilot has their own style of flying and teaching. Getting to fly with Tom Lanning a couple years ago, and being able to ask questions while flying and before and after the task was very helpful, contrasting what I was doing with the other pilots who were doing the same. This year flying with Davis was particularly memorable, he is just so fast and authoritative in his decision making, it really helped me to gain a better feel for the pacing you want to see even on a weak day. No doubt you can get great experiences like this at home as well with local pilots, but it's often hard to pin down some of them, since really, if it's a good day they are probably wanting to fly their own task and staying with them is going to be impossible especially if you're on a kingposted glider.
remmoore wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:21 amContrasting and comparing XC to comps...
Maybe the best place to compare and contrast the merits of competition in general, or the educational value of mentored events using a competition format, is not in the post advertising it. Why not instead encourage pilots to try everything our sport has to offer?
By remmoore
entelin wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:48 pm I assume you're not going to try and argue that going to GSSK or other comps in addition to your regular flying will make you a worse pilot?
Nope, while I thought I had made myself clear previously, I’ll try again. It’s not that going to comps make one a worse pilot. It’s that many pilots don’t have the time, money or inclination to attend comps, and there are other great options for learning about XC which better fit many pilot’s lives.

For example, I was extensively mentored by a few terrific XC pilots at my home site, and I continued to grow in experience and skill while spreading my XC flights to other regional sites. All done without ever participating in comps. I have also happily mentored more XC newbs than I can remember over the years - without requiring them to ever compete. This method fits very well for many pilots, including me! 👍

RM
By Felix
:roflcat:
Every time a post about some competition comes up, we immediately have the opposition showing up...even if the post is a very nice, positive, exciting one about something that isn't really a competition, but a mentoring opportunity!
Are you a pilot interested in going to a competition? Then go, make your judgments about it from your own experience!
I absolutely love them. They may have some down sides, but what in this life doesn't?? I would advise every pilot to go. It is a huge learning opportunity and time well spent with great pilots. Sure, you can grow as a pilot at your own site, go xc, etc...but it's not the same...not even in the same ballpark.
Do you feel like it's too much money, too much hassle, blah-blah? Then don't go. Simple as that.
Just my 2c
By remmoore
Felix wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:03 pmDo you feel like it's too much money, too much hassle, blah-blah? Then don't go.
Hey, look at that - we agree! :thumbsup:
And conversely, if learning to fly XC with your local mentors doesn't scratch that itch to compete; if you want to dedicate the resources and time, then by all means - comp it up!

RM