Funny/Friendly Off topic discussion. Fail this test and threads will be migrated to Way Off Topic.

Moderators: sg, mods

To the Steve Miller bashers: I'm not a big fan either; at least not anymore, but his greatest hits go well with being young and drunk. He deserves SOME kudos. My friend is his brother-in-law and I got backstage access with him in the late 80's. He was a really nice, down-to-earth guy. He also roomed with Boz Scaggs at my alma mater, UW (spent at least 4 years there but never graduated). I don't think his music is genius, but he has more hits and staying power than a lot of one-hit-wonder artists. A lot of people have had good times with his music playing in the background. 'Nuff said.
I'll play...I'm an old dude, so my tastes are all over the place. No jazz, no opera, little classical.

70's:
Jefferson Airplane. I've had a man crush on Grace Slick since I was a kid...guess it was a kid crush back then!
Boston
Blue Oyster Cult
Pink Floyd
Zebra
Frampton
BTO
Johnny Cash

80's:
Social Distortion - Still my all time favorite
Clash
Bad Religion
The Sharks - Local PA band from my hometown
Robert Hazard
Psych Furs
Mission UK
New Model Army - another favorite still
Triumph
Rush
Iron Maiden
The Alarm
ABBA - yep

90's:
The Misfits
Pennywise
Tribe - a Boston band that should have been bigger than they were
System of a Down
Ministry
Type O Negative

2000's:
Rise Against
Nightwish - an incredible band from Finland
Metalwings
The Interrupters
The Monophonics
Arcade Fire
Gnarls Barkley / Cee Low Green
Grace Potter and the Nocturnals

There's a lot more that's not being picked up right now by my few working neurons...
CSquared wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:54 am I'll play...I'm an old dude, so my tastes are all over the place. No jazz, no opera, little classical.

70's:
Jefferson Airplane. I've had a man crush on Grace Slick since I was a kid...guess it was a kid crush back then!
Boston
Blue Oyster Cult
Pink Floyd
Zebra
Frampton
BTO
Johnny Cash

80's:
Social Distortion - Still my all time favorite
Clash
Bad Religion
The Sharks - Local PA band from my hometown
Robert Hazard
Psych Furs
Mission UK
New Model Army - another favorite still
Triumph
Rush
Iron Maiden
The Alarm
ABBA - yep

90's:
The Misfits
Pennywise
Tribe - a Boston band that should have been bigger than they were
System of a Down
Ministry
Type O Negative

2000's:
Rise Against
Nightwish - an incredible band from Finland
Metalwings
The Interrupters
The Monophonics
Arcade Fire
Gnarls Barkley / Cee Low Green
Grace Potter and the Nocturnals

There's a lot more that's not being picked up right now by my few working neurons...

Wow that's quite a list. I agree. My musical tastes are all over like that too. I've been discovering a lot of new things lately. I'm pretty fortunate to live where I do because we have lots of great local musicians too. My hometown has a lot of great places to hang out and eat and listen to the locals or more well known artists. Ross Childress from Collective Soul plays down the road from my house a good bit. Excellent guitarist. Way under rated back during the 90s.
Grooving to Screaming Headless Torsos on Spotify......... way fun!

Jeff Burrows (former Crested Butte and fringe Green Team pilot) and I are going to see the Aristocrats 13 July. Guthrie Govan, Bryan Beller, Marco Minneman........ an amazing power trio.

Fly day tomorrow

SF
I'm stuck listening to my favorite old Band old Bands music. Yes AC/Dc, when AC/DC was fronted by by Bon Scott were a killer band! I mean they were well on their way to owning the title of being the worlds most awesome rocking band. I guess I am stuck in the past. But what a past it was.
so much good indie music, but still love some old stuff. Let's see - today's playlist in the car: Fleet Foxes, Silverson Pickups, Beach House, Deerhunter, The Zombies, Buffalo Springfield, Sufjan Stevens, Best Coast, Death Cab . . . .

Darrell - 44196
I will always return to my favourites, Pink Floyd, Supertramp, aussies-Ac/Dc, Inxs, Midnight oil.....so many favourites, i was 14yrs old in 1970. Movies and music are my inspiration and a way to keep feeling.... lately, after a recent sad period in our club, whenever i need to remind myself of my affirmation of why we still fly, i remember the movie Gravity. The evolution of Dr Ryan Stone back into a feeling and emotional person with her mojo intact was inspiring . That music when she finally walks again in earths gravity away from the water is what i listen to currently... It makes me never want to stop hanggliding or sharing its wonderful joys....as always headphones are best...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V5lrhIvC_w
Only just found this. I'm not sure why this clip hit a note with me, perhaps some built up impotent rage watching our many injustices to so much on our planet-maybe I like the music? Enjoy perhaps...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAdqazixuRY
Campers,

Without naming names, I enjoy a lot of the oldest Celtic/ Welsh/ Highlands music.
The harpers are amazing. The pipes and whistles are the product of people in poverty, but unbowed.
It's mostly very energetic, lively, and upbeat music. The vocals, maybe not so much.
It sure ain't rock'n'roll, but I like it. I hear the roots of much USA "country" (Appalachian) music there.

PBS/NPR has a long-running radio show, Fiona Ritchie's "Thistle and Shamrock" venue every week, with performers old and new.
The on-line site will be at https://Thistleradio.com with complete hour-long shows there for listening.
I listen to Alternative Rock. There's a lot of good music being made in this genre and one can hear influences from Classic
Rock from Led Zepplin (Greta Van Fleet) to Paul Simon (Manchester Orchestra).