All techie stuff here
By Everard
As demonstrated in The use of emergency parachutes in hang gliding (in SkyWings, December 2017, page 13) it can be difficult to change to a more upright position after deploying an emergency parachute. Indeed, a prominent pilot in my club was killed in 1994 when he landed under parachute in the prone position.

My prototype solution to the problem is described on this page of my web site:
https://everardcunion.wordpress.com/han ... ul-upChord
(If the link puts you at the top of the page, scroll down to the sub-section titled Haul-up chord.)

I don't really like add-ons like this, so if anyone has a better idea...
By TjW
Everard wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:39 pm
As demonstrated in The use of emergency parachutes in hang gliding (in SkyWings, December 2017, page 13) it can be difficult to change to a more upright position after deploying an emergency parachute. Indeed, a prominent pilot in my club was killed in 1994 when he landed under parachute in the prone position.

My prototype solution to the problem is described on this page of my web site:
https://everardcunion.wordpress.com/han ... ul-upChord
(If the link puts you at the top of the page, scroll down to the sub-section titled Haul-up chord.)

I don't really like add-ons like this, so if anyone has a better idea...
I don't know if it's a better idea, or even a different idea, but the Z5 pod harness has a head up/down limiter that works similarly, and has a jam cleat to set or change the amount of head up or down in flight. I think that's been around since at least the Z3.
I assume that is an 'angle of dangle' adjuster. The WW web site does not provide much detail of it on their Z5 harness page. However, while I imagine the basic idea is similar, I doubt that it could get your head up more than a few degrees, which might be better than nothing.

My first idea was to attach the chord to the base of the main riser to pull it forward, so your center of mass is then behind the hang line and gravity rotates you head-up (like before a normal landing). However, even with the zipper undone and my legs bent at the knees, it would not move, no matter how hard I pulled.
By red
Campers,

Try this: Hang in the harness in the shop, fully prone and comfortable. Unzip. Bring both knees up to the chest, as far as possible. You are gathering the harness up in front of your waist, using just the legs. Then straighten both legs out, as far as possible to the rear (legs should not be bent at the waist or knees). You should tilt upright, by just the weight of the legs. You should slide rearward in the harness, upright, and be sitting on the leg loops.

If that method does not work, you may need to lengthen the leg loops slightly (but no more than needed, here). You should not need hands touching anything, to do this move.

I'd like to see a video of what happens, shot from the side view, if that trick does not work.
I tried that in my Aeros Myth 2 harness and it did not work. I also tried hooking my thumbs in the shoulders and pulling the harness forward that way. That did not do anything either.

Clearly, different harness geometries -- and maybe different pilot geometries -- provide for or inhibit different techniques. (I suspect that technique would work with my old Solar Wings Edge 2 harness because the hang line, when proned out, is closer to the CG. However, I have not tried it in the Edge 2.)
Yeah, looks easy but this assumes you are holding the control frame throughout the deployment and aftermath. We just had a pilot undergo an accidental deployment while flying over steep terrain. He found himself thrown through the frame and dangling below it, head first. It was impossible for him to get himself upright and he landed that way, fortunately with only bumps and a minor break in his hand, though his new glider was totaled. I wish I could come up with an easy solution to this problem.
I second the preflight suggestion. Several years ago another pilot was giving me a nose assist and pointed out one of my parachute pins had slipped out. Ever since I do a parachute pin check with my preflight and hang check. Hard to fix in the air!
Clear L.A. Skies on Friday!

So where did they tell me that LZ is again? :sho[…]

:thumbsup: Looked like a good day for you, especi[…]

Well that was worth the wait! Mostly clear air m[…]

involuntarylist

Ive had enough. More than enough agitating peopl[…]