Interested in hang gliding? Currently learning to hang glide? Post your questions here.
This forum is open to unregistered users

Moderators: sg, mods

By BillyTheKid90
Hey Guys,

I posted a previous post but want to get a little broader on the topic.

I have been looking into learning to fly. Lookout Mountain Flight Park in Rising Fawn GA is close to me. I have looked into their training program. They guarantee a H2 rating with their school. I am looking for input on a first glider. I will be a fresh H2 pilot doing mountain launches . I am on the heavy side of the weight spectrum but am working on getting my weight down. Hoping to be around 200-215 lbs by the end of the year. That being said I want a glider I can grow with because I do not have the funds to buy multiple equipment setups.

Thanks,
By red
BillyTheKid90 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:20 amHey Guys,
I posted a previous post but want to get a little broader on the topic. I have been looking into learning to fly. Lookout Mountain Flight Park in Rising Fawn GA is close to me. I have looked into their training program. They guarantee a H2 rating with their school. I am looking for input on a first glider. I will be a fresh H2 pilot doing mountain launches . I am on the heavy side of the weight spectrum but am working on getting my weight down. Hoping to be around 200-215 lbs by the end of the year. That being said I want a glider I can grow with because I do not have the funds to buy multiple equipment setups. Thanks,
Billy,

It's a mistake to buy a glider too advanced for you. You will need regular flying to maintain the skills needed for it, and when those skills fade (over the winter, maybe), or you lacked those advanced skills from the first, an advanced glider can bite you. When that happens, you fly less and less, maybe getting bitten each time, until you quit flying. It's much better for YOU to have a fun glider that you can always enjoy, no matter how good you get as a pilot. "Nobody outgrows a Falcon."

Check your PM inbox (at the top of the Control Panel). See my web page, for more.
By Jason
Billy
When i was first learning, i got a Wills Wing Eagle 164. I got it new (thanks dad), and flew it for a year or two. Over that time i slowly started flying any other glider people would let me fly. Demo days got me onto wings that I couldn't afford (new t2s, litespeeds, litesports etc)

When i was ready for an upgrade, i sold the Eagle for 2500 bucks. I turned around and bought a kingposted sensor for 2k, and a used CG1000 for 300. I flew the sensor for a decade (still have it), and I still fly the CG 1000
By NateHallahan
Don't bother buying a glider until you have (or about to have) your H2. That school should be able to provide you with equipment while you are training.

Afterwards get a falcon and keep it. I'm still growing with mine and recently flew with several advanced pilots also flying falcons.

There are other similar gliders but the falcon seems to hold its value better should you decide to sell it.

A 195 will fit that weight range, I'm 200 hooking in at 225.
By TomGalvin
I very much doubt that you will be able to purchase a Freedom 190 as your first glider from Lookout Mountain Flight Park. I would wager they would be happy to put you into an 11 Meter Pulse if you do well on their training hills and don't scare your instructors during your first mountain flights.
By BillyTheKid90
Thanks guys. I just like looking far in advance to know what kind of investment I may be getting in to. I know once I start I will want my own wing.

And yes I have seen multiple pulse wings for sale at LMFP.
By dbotos
Another vote for the Falcon. You'll either keep it (as your only glider or a second glider) or have no problem selling it.
By cheesehead
Another vote for a Falcon from an ex-instructor with 30 years experience. I just flew my friend's 195 yesterday and had plenty of fun.
By seb
I am a lookout pilot and you'll see many of the pilots here flying falcons and single surface gliders. They rock! Easy and fast to set up, easy stress free flying and light! Even pilots that are advanced pilots that have race wings fly them and loooove it!