All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By mrHolliday
I am going to take my first hang glider lesson soon. I want to get a GoPro camera to record my flights. I have no idea which type of mount I need to buy and where on the hang glider to attach the camera.

I am having trouble matching the various accessories with the right type of GoPro.

Therefore, can anybody suggest the following:

1. A link to a particular GoPro camera model
2. A link to the accessories that are compatible with that model which includes the right type of attachment I will need
3. A brief explanation of where on the hang glider I should attach the mount and the camera
By DAVE 858
It depends upon where u want to mount it. I have what I think is called a “Roll bar mount” & my camera is mounted on my keel.

I think that a video can help with learning. Keep in mind that a camera can become a distraction at critical times such as setting up, it can be detrimental. Use with caution.
By dbhyslop
Keep in mind GoPro isn't the only game in town anymore. I bought a GitUp camera that's about 80% of the functionality at about a quarter of the price. I use it with a RAM mount and am pretty happy
By red
mrHolliday wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:26 pmI am going to take my first hang glider lesson soon. I want to get a GoPro camera to record my flights.
3. A brief explanation of where on the hang glider I should attach the mount and the camera
mrHolliday,

It's easy to get "tunnel vision" on these gadgets. Sure, enjoy the hunt, but any time you do not have the camera that you want on the glider, have anybody and everybody take cell-phone video of your flights, or the launches, or the landings. Any and all of these resources can be of great value to your learning (maybe more than an on-board camera). They will also have a fine personal value to you, in later years.

3. Mount an on-board camera near the middle of the leading edge, looking sideways at the pilot in flight, or on the tail of the keel, where the pilot is centered in the view. Each position has its' advantages. In either position, make sure that the camera can not possibly hit the ground.
By mrHolliday
Thank you everybody for your suggestions. A bit about me:

I'm 43, and I am going to take my first hang gliding lesson in 2 weeks here in Virginia. I read Hang Gliding Training Manual by Dennis Pagan to get prepared first. I couldn't believe how much there is to learn.

After I obtain the Hang 2 Rating, I plan on going down to the Outer Banks in North Carolina where the Wright Brothers flew at Kitty Hawk Kites. I emailed somebody there and they say that they can tow you with an ultralight and you can get as high as 2,000 feet! Imagine the view of the Outer Banks from 2,000 feet. I plan on recording all of my flights with a GoPro.

Eventually, I hope to fly out in the Western states in the Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada and California desert as well the California coastline and hopefully Hawaii someday.
By Takeo77
Buy a gopro with spare batteries and a few big SD cards (64GB are affordable now), and record ALL your training. I did from Hang-0 till now, and when my wife started in 2016, it was a big help in helping to identify problems, trends etc. I have all her training footage from Hang-0 to now (Hang-3) as well.

Post lesson video debrief is a fantastic tool
By flybop
mrHolliday wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 5:13 pm Thank you everybody for your suggestions. A bit about me:

I'm 43, and I am going to take my first hang gliding lesson in 2 weeks here in Virginia. I read Hang Gliding Training Manual by Dennis Pagan to get prepared first. I couldn't believe how much there is to learn.

After I obtain the Hang 2 Rating, I plan on going down to the Outer Banks in North Carolina where the Wright Brothers flew at Kitty Hawk Kites. I emailed somebody there and they say that they can tow you with an ultralight and you can get as high as 2,000 feet! Imagine the view of the Outer Banks from 2,000 feet. I plan on recording all of my flights with a GoPro.

Eventually, I hope to fly out in the Western states in the Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada and California desert as well the California coastline and hopefully Hawaii someday.
Sounds like you have a great plan. Good luck with your training and do keep us posted with videos of your training. I treasure the videos of my early days, but do not have much of my training hill days. I still go over my flying videos to self analyze, especially launches and landings.

I was at Kitty Hawk years ago during my airplane time. Being there was magical, someday I hope to fly the dunes there. Also, on your big road trip, keep in mind that we have some awesome flying sites in Montana too.
By mrHolliday
Thank you for mentioning Montana, because I forgot to mention, I would like to fly over the Little Big Horn battle site and see things from the perspective of the Indians and Custer's troops.
By flybop
mrHolliday wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:05 pm Thank you for mentioning Montana, because I forgot to mention, I would like to fly over the Little Big Horn battle site and see things from the perspective of the Indians and Custer's troops.
I don't think there are any hg sites at the Little Big Horn Battle site. However, down the road about an hour is an awesome site in Wyoming called Sand Turn. This is a great site in a beautiful area. You can get there via Yellowstone too. Sand Turn is a good H2 site as well. But, going on an epic road trip you will be much better off with your H3.
By dbotos
I have an SJCAM M10 wifi that was $70 that shoots in 1080.

When I first started out, I had it on the crossbar looking toward the other wing tip. That side perspective was helpful for seeing pitch control and flare timing. Picture of that setup here:

viewtopic.php?p=395166#p395166

Eventually, I switch to a keel mount:

viewtopic.php?p=398746#p398746

Here are some videos from each of the two perspectives:

https://www.youtube.com/user/dbotos/vid ... shelf_id=0
By uvflyer
I simply use a wrist strap around the keel which can also be used on the crossbar if you're not flying a double surface:

Doesn't need to be 360 degrees on the keel, but really comes in handy when attaching it to a crossbar if not perpendicular to the keel.
By dbotos
mrHolliday wrote: Dbotos,

Thank you for the links. Looks like you went to BlueSky in Manquin , VA?

That's where I am going to take my first lesson in 2 weeks.
Yup. Blue Sky is awesome. Steve has a great setup there and knows his stuff. Just listen, ask questions, and have fun. And if you stick with the sport, be patient. Steve will want you to show consistency at your current level before allowing you to advance, which is a smart and safe way to do things.

David
By mrHolliday
dbotos wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 12:14 pm
mrHolliday wrote: Dbotos,

Thank you for the links. Looks like you went to BlueSky in Manquin , VA?

That's where I am going to take my first lesson in 2 weeks.
Yup. Blue Sky is awesome. Steve has a great setup there and knows his stuff. Just listen, ask questions, and have fun. And if you stick with the sport, be patient. Steve will want you to show consistency at your current level before allowing you to advance, which is a smart and safe way to do things.

David

Yes, I agree. I intend to take my time and make sure I really learn everything to the point where I can do things naturally.