All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

Hi all-- I need to put together a new headset/ PTT talk assembly for my ICOM T2H-- which has a 3.5mm Mono Speaker Jack and 2.5mm Mono Microphone Jack-- and the wire needs to go straight out from this pair of plugs, i.e. parallel to the plugs, with no 90-degree bend

The assembly will be for a full-face helmet-- i.e. the mike will stick to the helmet, not be on a boom--

In the past I've had good luck with the MotoComm MC-551-- but can't find one now ---

If your radio is any of the ones listed on this chart as compatible with MC-551, I'd be interested to hear what you are using--

http://bobscb.com/helmet_headsets/motoc ... compat.htm

Or if you know a source for the MotoComm MC-551 that is currently in stock--

thanks

Steve
Just called this company https://www.denniskirk.com from who've I've ordered a MotoComm MC-551 in the past-- the representative had no idea how to search their current offerings as to which would be compatible with my radio. He suggested I call another company that offers headsets -- J and M Corporation-- their representative said they no longer make headsets that plug into hand held radios, nowadays the radio is always built into the bike and you buy a headset that is compatible with your brand of bike. He guessed that's probably why MotoComm MC-551 has been discontinued as well.

I have no idea whether or not all this is really true but if so it sounds like there has been a change in practice that will make it harder for hang glider pilots to find good communication equipment.

Steve

aeroexperiments wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:40 pm Hi all-- I need to put together a new headset/ PTT talk assembly for my ICOM T2H-- which has a 3.5mm Mono Speaker Jack and 2.5mm Mono Microphone Jack-- and the wire needs to go straight out from this pair of plugs, i.e. parallel to the plugs, with no 90-degree bend

The assembly will be for a full-face helmet-- i.e. the mike will stick to the helmet, not be on a boom--

In the past I've had good luck with the MotoComm MC-551-- but can't find one now ---

If your radio is any of the ones listed on this chart as compatible with MC-551, I'd be interested to hear what you are using--

http://bobscb.com/helmet_headsets/motoc ... compat.htm

Or if you know a source for the MotoComm MC-551 that is currently in stock--

thanks

Steve
Steve,

You seem like a do-it-yourself kind of guy. Have you considered building your own setup? A few years ago, I posted about a complete self-made headset system which should work very well for your needs:
viewtopic.php?t=32734
The thread included a number of posts with good info, but the 10th post had a tutorial for the system with the connector you're looking for. It's possible that some of the ordering parts numbers have changed, but the system is quite easy to make and very sturdy. I've been using the same equipment with no problems for quite awhile now...

RM