All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By Felix
I just thought I'd put it out there that; while it's expected that a video of a Hang Gliding "mishap" (bad technique or accident of any kind) is one that immediately gets all the (mostly negative) attention; a thread about it (as much as it does have its merits) also carries a sort of a negative "feel".

I say that if we if we counteract such posts with more positive ones, it will provide a much needed offset... perhaps also leading to more interaction on this site, and bringing more excitment about this wonderful, all-inclusive, REAL-dream pastime that is Hang Gliding :goodidea:

I'll start:

Please post a video of an exemplary landing filmed at the Diablo site in California! :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

And...maybe replies to the videos should be positive? :) :thumbsup: ...and not so much: "you call that exemplary???" :rofl:
Here's one of land at Mitchell Canyon LZ for Diablo's Tower launch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PhMNHmnN5c

Here's another from the Tower, with a landing at the Plateau LZ:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE-xImqrNsc

And at third of landing at Diablo's Thousand LZ, not "exemplary" but not bad. :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZgXqaGertE

There are a few vids of HG at Diablo on You Tube - look for Mount Diablo Hang Gliding.

RM
Great fly and a sweet timed flair=one happy pilot....90degree cross though light......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCT3jVN2Nzc
Awesome! Thank you brothers, this is good stuff.
Jono, that rock...seems like you went to it like it was object fixation :) Pulled that off nicely!
McClure! Let's see more from there!! The landing (middle link posted by Rotor) sure is nice, but damn that's scary :shock:
I'll have to search through my videos and post some landings I pulled off :)
I am doing well, thanks. What I am kind of struggling with, is that hang gliding as a whole, is doing a terrible job at passing forward vital lessons that we have learned in the past. And with all do respect, the choices of the landing you posted are not the best. The one of you doing the beat up, make my stomach sick! You came so close to killing yourself! Why is that a good thing? Why do we as hang glider pilots think this type of reckless behavior is cool?
Sorry I did not mean to offend anyone, just thought the thread was on difficult landings. If it makes you feel any better I am no longer a pilot.I have sold off all my gear and am living on the memories and videos old and new.I have to agree with you if you are going to be a bold pilot pushing your limits it is only a matter of time before you will be crippled or dead. I won't post here any more because I don't want any of you to fly like I did the last 30 years.
Willmrx wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:13 pm Why is that a good thing? Why do we as hang glider pilots think this type of reckless behavior is cool?
Depending on experience, skill level, etc. what's reckless for one pilot can be perfectly safe for another. There was a time when performing a 360-degree turn in a hang glider was considered reckless behavior. Thank goodness adventurous pilots pushed the boundaries or hang gliding would have been stuck on the metaphorical training hill. I love pilots who push the envelope like Wolfi.
Here's my most recent landing at McClure, a little figure 8ey approach...

https://youtu.be/s3VxjwskKWc?t=13m56s
Rotor wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:01 am Sorry I did not mean to offend anyone, just thought the thread was on difficult landings. If it makes you feel any better I am no longer a pilot.I have sold off all my gear and am living on the memories and videos old and new.I have to agree with you if you are going to be a bold pilot pushing your limits it is only a matter of time before you will be crippled or dead. I won't post here any more because I don't want any of you to fly like I did the last 30 years.
Good to hear from you Doug, please don't stop posting. As a matter of fact if you still have the video you were shooting of the landings at the soccer field by the Columbia River while the Nationals were going on in 95, please upload it! :thumbsup:
I'd pay to see that, there was so much entertainment value going on you could probably get others to chip in :popcorn:
Rotor wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:01 am I won't post here any more because I don't want any of you to fly like I did the last 30 years.
The very reason you SHOULD post on this site is your experience! Perhaps we should start a thread called "Lessons learned". I definitely have a lot of those on my belt...Stuff like "look what I did and got away with (or didn't)".
30 years of flying and now you called it quits? I'm personally curious as to what happened to get you there.
As far as this thread goes, more good landings sure are awesome to watch! McClure seems like a tough one, I hope I get to fly there one day. Many good landing videos will definitely place a "how to" in my mind I'm likely to lean on when I finally get to fly there. Same with other sites.
Rotor wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:01 am Sorry I did not mean to offend anyone, just thought the thread was on difficult landings. If it makes you feel any better I am no longer a pilot.I have sold off all my gear and am living on the memories and videos old and new.I have to agree with you if you are going to be a bold pilot pushing your limits it is only a matter of time before you will be crippled or dead. I won't post here any more because I don't want any of you to fly like I did the last 30 years.
I am truly sorry for all that you have gone through! You have displayed a level strength and determination that is admirable to say the least. I wish you had the mentor-ship, that you deserved. From my prospective, no one took the time to, truly mentor you. Most of your knowledge was self learned. When I first came to McClure, I was blown away with the mentality, it was like, the faster you went from, the training hill to launching off McClure, the more street cred you had. Please do not stop posting ! What you have gone through, and your opinion. can help other pilot from not having to go through the same.
Please do continue to post. You evidently have learned some lessons along the way that many of us can benefit from.