Post your videos as file attachments here. One video per topic please!

Moderators: sg, mods

By NMERider
This 57-mile straight line flight along the Los Angeles Basin side of the San Gabriel Mountains encompasses many important aspects of the kind of hang gliding flight I have been pursuing since I returned to the sport 9 years ago. ~200 captions, flight data and 3D animated graphics accompany the footage shot from two perspectives. Lots of interesting scenery and two very nice encounters with hawks along with many other highs and lows. It gives an idea of what it's like for me personally but is obviously no substitute for what it's like for another pilot.
Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC1-yfavADg
By NMERider
hgldr wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:56 pm That was fun to watch johathan. I like your "touring, not comp pilot" -
Darrell
Thanks Darrell,
I need certain comp skills in order to expand my range but prefer to relax and enjoy the scenery and pick more interesting routes rather than just the fastest lines. Comps are good for getting airtime in places we might never fly but it's not like they ask us to leave because we chose the long, scenic route. One thing I don't mention is just how much more I enjoy flying without a camera on board. I split my flying with and without camera because I also like seeing the flight again later.
Cheers,
Jonathan
By Lucky_Chevy
Nice flight Jonathan,

Thanks for sharing the beauty and decision making along the way. Flying is already winding down on the East Coast. It's nice to get some vicarious airtime with my favorite pilot that I've never actually met in real life.

Thanks for all the hard work that goes into producing your videos after the flight.
I really enjoy them,

Dan
By NMERider
Lucky_Chevy wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:16 pm Nice flight Jonathan,

Thanks for sharing the beauty and decision making along the way. Flying is already winding down on the East Coast. It's nice to get some vicarious airtime with my favorite pilot that I've never actually met in real life.

Thanks for all the hard work that goes into producing your videos after the flight.
I really enjoy them,

Dan
Thanks Dan,
I appreciate the kind words and sentiments. It's nice to know that a few pilots and spectators are able to enjoy the flying experience remotely. I will try to get a few more interesting flights posted in the coming months.
Cheers, Jonathan
By dbotos
Jonathan,

I like the captioned videos. With most HG videos that are more than a few minutes long, I just watch the launch, skip around to a few bits of the flight, and then fast forward to the landing. But with yours, I can watch the whole thing since there's a story to follow along with (and things to learn). I like the 3D flight track too - that makes it easier to see what's going on in the big picture.

As for cameras, I've found that once I press record (and look at the elapsed time display to make sure it's actually recording), I forget about it until I land and go to turn it off. Do you find the camera(s) to be more of a distraction/chore on the flights with live audio since you have to be the pilot and narrator at the same time versus the captioned flights where you go back and add the commentary later?

Keep up the good work,
David
By NMERider
dbotos wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:05 pm Jonathan,

I like the captioned videos. With most HG videos that are more than a few minutes long, I just watch the launch, skip around to a few bits of the flight, and then fast forward to the landing. But with yours, I can watch the whole thing since there's a story to follow along with (and things to learn). I like the 3D flight track too - that makes it easier to see what's going on in the big picture.

As for cameras, I've found that once I press record (and look at the elapsed time display to make sure it's actually recording), I forget about it until I land and go to turn it off. Do you find the camera(s) to be more of a distraction/chore on the flights with live audio since you have to be the pilot and narrator at the same time versus the captioned flights where you go back and add the commentary later?

Keep up the good work,
David
Hi David,
Thank you for the feedback and kind words. I wanted to do a voice-over narration for this video but have been sick with many colds and my narration voice has been poor so it was easier to write a series of captions. When I'm able to do multiple things at once I enjoy doing live narration and it doesn't interfere with the flying. That's pretty rare for me and more often I need to eliminate most or all distractions or I have difficulty flying or just don't enjoy it. Yesterday I had a great flight but I was under the weather and left the glider camera at home. I did bring a regular camera for taking photos of the other gliders launching and got a few nice shots that way. In the air I wasn't constantly thinking of whether I was getting the shot and put my already tired mind to the task of flying which was still challenging for me. Two of my friends had cameras on their gliders so I'm hopeful that they got some good scenes. Editing is taxing and costs me a lot of lost sleep. One reason I ditch the camera is to avoid that post-flight nagging urge to see what I got. Otherwise I don't get more than a few hours sleep which really messes up my health. Then I blow the next flight due to fatigue or illness. So it's a balancing act for me. I enjoy the photography but I can't have my cake and eat it too. I had a few climbs to cloudbase with four different friends yesterday which was great in itself. When I have more mental energy and if it's an interesting day I'll get back to the live sound and narration.

Meanwhile this video has been getting a decent percentage of viewing from a global audience which is very good for a 35 minute video with an obscure subject.
Cheers, Jonathan
Attachments
Stats.JPG
Stats.JPG (109.33 KiB) Viewed 1636 times
By dbotos
Yes, I can imagine some number of hours of editing time per every so many minutes of finished video. Stitching the SeeYou footage in there and captions surely makes that ratio larger.

Don't lose too much sleep. Do you typically do an edit in one big session or break it up into multiple sittings? I'm sure the latter isn't quite as efficient since you have to take a little time to getback to where you left off (mentally and in the software), but maybe if you could set aside some chunk of editing time per day or per week it might take less out of you. The older I get, the more I appreciate the value of sleep, even if it means a slower pace on my 6+ page project list. Of course, now I seem to have fallen into the pattern of waking up an hour or two before the alarm almost every day after having odd dreams.

Although one dream last week did have some flying in it - I was at some house in the town I work in but I didn't have my phone so I was trying to contact my wife by email ( which probably wouldn't have been very effective in real life since she's horrible about checking her email). I was out front of the house in the next part of the dream and was soon floating upwards in a somewhat leaned-back seated position, like in a PG race harness, except I don't remember a harness or any sort of wing in the dream. I flew off back behind the row of houses where there were some big rolling fields separated by fences and bordered by some trees at the far edges. There was a battle reenactment going on as I flew over the fields and I remember trying to avoid that as I flew. I ended up at this deserted place with small brownish gravel on the ground. It was set up to be a garden center for multiple vendors and each portion of it was individually caged off with black vertical wrought-iron-like fencing and had smaller cage-like stalls inside for the various types of long-handled tools and other things a garden center might sell. I had gotten some tools to start stocking the stalls with, but I remember they were all mixed up types and ended up in this arching jumble when I went to put them in the stall.

Back to video editing - any likes/dislikes for software and/or hardware? I need to get a new machine before I do much editing. The last computer I built to do video stuff is now over 10 years old and has sucked a fat one when I did super-simple stuff like crop a few-minutes-long 1080 HD video.
By NMERider
dbotos wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:40 pm Yes, I can imagine some number of hours of editing time per every so many minutes of finished video. Stitching the SeeYou footage in there and captions surely makes that ratio larger.

Don't lose too much sleep. Do you typically do an edit in one big session or break it up into multiple sittings? I'm sure the latter isn't quite as efficient since you have to take a little time to getback to where you left off (mentally and in the software), but maybe if you could set aside some chunk of editing time per day or per week it might take less out of you. The older I get, the more I appreciate the value of sleep, even if it means a slower pace on my 6+ page project list. Of course, now I seem to have fallen into the pattern of waking up an hour or two before the alarm almost every day after having odd dreams.

Although one dream last week did have some flying in it - I was at some house in the town I work in but I didn't have my phone so I was trying to contact my wife by email ( which probably wouldn't have been very effective in real life since she's horrible about checking her email). I was out front of the house in the next part of the dream and was soon floating upwards in a somewhat leaned-back seated position, like in a PG race harness, except I don't remember a harness or any sort of wing in the dream. I flew off back behind the row of houses where there were some big rolling fields separated by fences and bordered by some trees at the far edges. There was a battle reenactment going on as I flew over the fields and I remember trying to avoid that as I flew. I ended up at this deserted place with small brownish gravel on the ground. It was set up to be a garden center for multiple vendors and each portion of it was individually caged off with black vertical wrought-iron-like fencing and had smaller cage-like stalls inside for the various types of long-handled tools and other things a garden center might sell. I had gotten some tools to start stocking the stalls with, but I remember they were all mixed up types and ended up in this arching jumble when I went to put them in the stall.

Back to video editing - any likes/dislikes for software and/or hardware? I need to get a new machine before I do much editing. The last computer I built to do video stuff is now over 10 years old and has sucked a fat one when I did super-simple stuff like crop a few-minutes-long 1080 HD video.
Interesting dream. Some of my edits got completed by the next day and others dragged on for 6 years and when through dozens and dozens of revisions. I never went to film school so I had to learn what little I know the hard way. I use a 2-year old Dell XPS8700 which does an adequate job. I'm using Cyberlink Powerdirector 13. I think it's up to v15 now.