Post your videos as file attachments here. One video per topic please!

Moderators: sg, mods

By Charlie Romeo
A test fly at Lennox Head, with a little surprise! :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zY29X3QOcw
By Charlie Romeo
Yes those birds are becoming quite famous with their antics,by the way JD...it was your early videos that helped inspire me to finally start videoing mine.It still amazes me how wonderful a movie or photographs are in bringing back forgotten details.
By NMERider
Charlie Romeo wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:13 pm Yes those birds are becoming quite famous with their antics,by the way JD...it was your early videos that helped inspire me to finally start videoing mine.It still amazes me how wonderful a movie or photographs are in bringing back forgotten details.
Thanks for the kind feedback CR.
I've noticed that by flying with a camera, my attention is more upon shooting the scene and less upon attending to the flight. When I land I have little recollection if any of that flight. I have to review the footage along with my track long just to recall what I did. That's like becoming a voyeur to my own flying. Something's just not right about this. I have noticed that when I leave the camera(s) at home I have much greater enjoyment of the flight and far better recall. Other pilots I've spoken with have expressed sympathetic experiences. So I have to ask myself where I want my attention and recall before I go flying. I recently had a special flight to a place I've only ventured once before. On this flight the forecast was marginal and I needed 100% of my focus on the flying. Aside from a few radio exchanges during the flight I was fully concentrated on the task. I barely made it back to the LZ but came within 7 meters of attaining my goal which was more than close enough. As I write this I can see the flight in my mind. Had I taken a camera I'd need to review the footage. I guess it's a choice of recording medium--Micro-SD card or grey matter memory. Food for thought.
JD
By DMarley
NMERider wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:01 am I've noticed that by flying with a camera, my attention is more upon shooting the scene and less upon attending to the flight....
I'm just the opposite so far, though in my very first few mountain flights from LMFP, I consciously made the effort to YELL to the aft-keel-mounted vid cam about what was happening and what I needed to do. I yelled about my boxing positions, downwind height position cues, final glide slopes, flaring, etc. Another student heard me while she was on the ground below and wondered why, strangely, I was yelling to myself while flying. She thought it a great idea when I told her my reasoning. (I wonder where I got this idea from, Jon?!)

I would replay these vids several times in the evening after my flights, and I learned a lot just from reviewing AND listening to my comments.

I still take vids of every flight, but have not had the opportunity to record my comments well enough unless I am yelling, and even so the audio is garbled with the full face helmet (sans visor). But still, I don't consciously have the camera in mind. Well, ok, I'm lying slightly. I was hoping that the camera was recording me chasing a soaring bird into the setting sun at nearly 2100 ft above launch on my first soaring flight. Too bad it didn't.

One of my recent approaches into a tight RLF was not recorded due to a setting in the camera being inadvertently changed. To my chagrin, the record and feed-back from a most excellent 180 slipping/diving approach and landing through a cut in the trees was forever lost. So now I only have memories of that flight. I wonder if my memories of intense sequences are accurate all the time. Through vid review, I've found that sometimes they are not quite exact and the review jogs the memories back into perspective. Like an 'Oh, that's right...' moment.

Some pilots describe that RLF as the LZ that gives them the heebee-jeebee's. I thought it a good test of my newb skills, payed full attention to the task at hand without hesitation, and did a decent job of it. All without any thought of the vid camera, which was sadly not operating at the time. The second diving approach and landing there were better handled by the camera and I benefited by reviewing it over and over and over again (yeah, it was that fun!)
I think that thorough review of a difficult task that was completed well enough can bring clearer focus to the visualization that ultimately helps lead to good execution of similar future tasks.

In addition to video, better quality audio recording would be really beneficial to the learning curve, with the ability to make quick observations and comments that could be recorded without effort, as Jonathan has demonstrated in many of his most excellent vids.

So I just pulled the plug and ordered a digital recorder and some foam. I hope this new setup will add another dimension to the reviewing of my flights, if not providing more entertainment for myself and friends.

Thanks Jonathan for all your vids and understated suggestions.
By NMERider
DMarley wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:52 pm....In addition to video, better quality audio recording would be really beneficial to the learning curve, with the ability to make quick observations and comments that could be recorded without effort, as Jonathan has demonstrated in many of his most excellent vids.

So I just pulled the plug and ordered a digital recorder and some foam. I hope this new setup will add another dimension to the reviewing of my flights, if not providing more entertainment for myself and friends.

Thanks Jonathan for all your vids and understated suggestions.
You're welcome Doug. I appreciate the feedback. Having the live sound recording does make a big difference and learning the narrate in a calm voice while flying can be an assets in many respects. For those who don't know about the voice recording method I use, here's a refresher....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XbK5qerq0I