All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By DMarley
The first thought I had was "lame!", but it is cool that HG got a free advertising spot. Too bad the studio crew didn't see fit to have at least a few big fans blowing some shape into the ribs and tussling the guys' hair a bit. Kinda stagnant looking.
Though, the typical landlubber would probably never notice the stagnant feel and the lack of air movement.
By TjW
Actually, I kind of like the idea that they're rather matter-of-fact. My opinion is that hang gliding has been portrayed to the public as a wild adrenaline ride. I don't think that's the way most of us fly.
By red
Campers,

Yeah, kinda lame, but at least it's casual.
Too bad they didn't do it for real, though. TV wasteland.

Well, I do like the wheels . . . :lol:
Anybody know the source?
By PhillSt
Haha, what is this :lol: ? But I also like the idea that hang gliding looks quite casual, it's shown not as some crazy thing.
By red
dbotos wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:35 pm
red wrote:Well, I do like the wheels . . . :lol:
Anybody know the source?
They look kinda like these ones from Northern Tool. I think SunnyJim has these or similar on his suprone setup.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... 3794_13794
dbotos,

Those Northern wheels are 12.5"x2.25" so they are wider than what are seen in the video. They would be better for HG if they had little or no tread.
The last thing you want on HG wheels is any side-ward grip. It's better if they can slide sideways, if needed.
Thanks, anyway.
By dbotos
I've had no issues with multi-directional tread tires on my glider. The tires on the Finsterwalder pnuematics are radial-ribbed, which would prevent sideways motion too.

viewtopic.php?t=35450

If you're landing a glider that much sideways, I think the tread pattern on your tires is going to be the least of your worries. :shock:
By red
dbotos wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:57 amI've had no issues with multi-directional tread tires on my glider. The tires on the Finsterwalder pnuematics are radial-ribbed, which would prevent sideways motion too. If you're landing a glider that much sideways, I think the tread pattern on your tires is going to be the least of your worries.
dbotos,

As an instructor, I always considered it my job to worry about stuff that never occurred to my students.

A wheel that goes sideways very well (like the old large M&Ms) could "save" a crosswind landing, when necessary.
By red
dbotos wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:28 pmThese are almost a slick tread:
http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/10misprati.html
Might be able to find slick pocket bike tires. Or buy something with a regular tread and shave it down to a slick. :wink:
dbotos,

Good find! Thanks.

:mrgreen: