All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By danmoser
AIRTHUG wrote:FYI even though I know you know- Dave worked at UP (the real UP). He also flew Aeros gliders for YEARS before getting a T2 a few years back...
Hi, Ryan. I think Dave was being very honest in answering my Predator questions. Undeniably, he is a fantastic pilot, and I greatly respect his opinion. On the other hand, he's never been a big guy like me, having to fly big guy gliders, so he's not going to know all the differences and limited choices that go with being a more gravitationally challenged pilot.

As to the significance of what "the real UP" is .. honestly, I don't care anymore. From Pete Brock to Roy Haggard to Terry Reynolds to John Heiney .. all the sorted, complex history with lots of UPs & downs.. Blue Sky, Altair.. whatever... it's ancient history.. water under the bridge.. Maybe some people still hold grudges.. that's their problem. It's got nothing to do with the cold hard facts of what the UP Predator 158 is today.. and frankly, that's all that matters to me.

happy landings,

Dan
By dievhart
This has been very interesting to me....being a bit bigger pilot...(but holding back because I really can't help you Dan)
I'm flying a U2 160......and thinking of getting a new sail for it....
AND now owning a NICE crispy new (2me) Predator 158 :drool:
THAT I HAVE NOT EVEN FLOWN :surrender: .....
I couldn't help my self when I saw it. I've always wanted one, and that goes back to just wanting a nice biggish glider with top rigging. I've flown my Lightspeed 4 for years and even when I was hooking in at 240 lbs on it. I've loved that glider and still do but I also know my wing loading on it is why I'm not as high as others (most of the time, yeah right). I also miss the top rigging when I start tossing it around, knowing a small mistake is not as big a deal on a bigger glider (lower wing loading) and then to have top rigging on top of that......
Predators are hard to find for a good price and there were none around when I saw a cheap U2 so I went with that.......
I like the U2 but really the only reason I got it was for the top rigging and 160 size and the cheap price...
...WELL the same thing happened but with a glider built for AERO and with a few nice features you don't find in any other designs :-)) (I still don't know why not) and with an ALMOST NEW SAIL....
Now the kicker....I lost weight and only hook-in at 220 lbs.....the bottom of this gliders weight range....and it's a stiff(ish) carbon glider.....But it is what I've always wanted and I don't have to spend a couple grand on a new sail (and it's like new)....I had to.....but I guess if after a few flights I can't stand it (and then I talk to Joe and John and de-tune it....and still can't stand it) I'll put it back up for sale as it's so nice someone better fly it.......take a look at my new bird...it's no Profil.....PREDATOR 158 !!!

Diev
(and a little tid-bit for the sidelines)
Attachments
dt_1.jpg
dt_1.jpg (35.28 KiB) Viewed 4587 times
DSC_7218.jpg
DSC_7218.jpg (46.77 KiB) Viewed 4587 times
IMG_0939.jpg
IMG_0939.jpg (107.45 KiB) Viewed 4587 times
IMG_0938.jpg
IMG_0938.jpg (117.5 KiB) Viewed 4587 times
IMG_0937.jpg
IMG_0937.jpg (181.07 KiB) Viewed 4587 times
IMG_0946.jpg
IMG_0946.jpg (156.16 KiB) Viewed 4587 times
IMG_0957.jpg
IMG_0957.jpg (79.12 KiB) Viewed 4587 times
IMG_0954.jpg
IMG_0954.jpg (171.37 KiB) Viewed 4587 times
By wes schield
Good for you, Diev!

A very nice glider. I flew a 158 with at 230 lbs hook in for years and loved it. After I lost 30 lbs I bought a 142. Yes, there were some differences but nothing major. Both have a great glide, both easy to tow, launch and land. I think you'll be very happy with your purchase. This summer I plan on taking up my 158 again. Even at 200 lb. hook in, I can't wait.

Here's a short clip of me aerotowing the 142. I was practicing getting on the ground quickly to escape trouble. Nothing very exciting but fun to watch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS8xqBODR4c
By Jason
PredatorJoe wrote:
AIRTHUG wrote:
PredatorJoe wrote:yes we are nearing design completion of new aero control frame fittings that will fit a WW (or other) streamline base tube AND the conventional round speedbar. This along with the Seedwings downtubes (same design WW cloned and called Litestream)
Not sure on where the 'truth' falls- but according to Steve Pearson @ Wills Wing, Bob Tramp ordered a couple litestream tubes FROM Wills Wing, then suddenly had his own that were the same specs... I trust Steve, so I believe it... but you can think what ya like, or investigate further if you care to...
I hope that's not what Steve actually said because the Seedwings downtube has been in use since '95 and actually shipped on a few Predators in the late 90's while the Litestream came out in '03 according to the WW website

so you can think what ya like, or investigate further if you care to... :wink:
FWIW.....my sensor was built in 1997.....has the original downtubes......and they look EXACTLY like the litestreams....seeing as how I was in possesion of the sensor prior to 2003.......and it had the same downtubes it has now....and when i went off to college and started seeing the WW gliders with the "new" downtubes.......I knew exactly where they came from
By Dombaj
Ever. Since I started hang gliding, not that long ago I knew about predator, in my eyes it has that special image, I still want one and I am hoping to get my hands on one of this birds soon.I read every article about it watched every video I could find.
I don't give crap about recommendations, it's a special glider for special pilots !
New modifications would help with advertisement, I feel this is a "outlaw" glider and honestly not a bad advertisement slogan!
Now is there somewhere out there this lousy nothing worth, crapy 142 predator in mint condition for sale for cheap. You know you could use that garage space for something else!
Let me know!

Predator fan
By Jason
seriously dan.......talk to joe.....go down to Torrey.....and test fly one.

I've only flown the 142......my buddy has a TRX 158.....he loves it and wants to get the predator verson.......

everyone has their biases......so screw em all and hop on it and see if you like it
By danmoser
I agree 100%, Jason... I won't make a decision to buy 'til I fly one.
I have been in touch with Joe about this and hope to go to San Diego sometime this winter to do it..
It's mostly just a matter of getting away from my heavy workload.
That's the problem with being self-employed.. your boss is a jerk who rarely gives you any time off. :rofl:
By wes schield
I'm afraid that may be tough. I had both a 142 & 158 but only one manual between them and it was a copy. I will check with the man I sold my last one to. He may have it and if so, I may be able to get a copy. Unfortunately I do not see him very often but I'll ask the next time I do. In the meantime try upgliders.com
Good luck,
Wes
By jk2
wes schield wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:03 pm I'm afraid that may be tough. I had both a 142 & 158 but only one manual between them and it was a copy. I will check with the man I sold my last one to. He may have it and if so, I may be able to get a copy. Unfortunately I do not see him very often but I'll ask the next time I do. In the meantime try upgliders.com
Good luck,
Wes
I sent an email out as well to upgliders.com Thanks Wes :thumbsup:
By 426 Hemi
PREDATOR 158. What can I say? For I have flown My predator 158 at our mountain flying site at a Heavy Hook-im number of 340 pounds. I used water ballast ti get my Hook-in number above 300. I flew my 158 predator at a hook-in number of 340 Pounds. And get this: I had a No-Step landing!
By remmoore
426 Hemi wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:47 pm PREDATOR 158. What can I say? For I have flown My predator 158 at our mountain flying site at a Heavy Hook-im number of 340 pounds. I used water ballast ti get my Hook-in number above 300. I flew my 158 predator at a hook-in number of 340 Pounds. And get this: I had a No-Step landing!
Hey, it's Roadrunner, or TBG, using a new name. I thought you might come back as "Phoenix Guy". Welcome back, buddy!
Here's a photo of you flying your beloved Predator before you lost 100+ pounds.

RM
Attachments
The (former) Big Guy in the Sky
The (former) Big Guy in the Sky
Chris M.jpg (815.71 KiB) Viewed 2951 times
By miraclepieco
remmoore wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:39 pm
Hey, it's Roadrunner, or TBG, using a new name. I thought you might come back as "Phoenix Guy". Welcome back, buddy!

Roadrunner, 426 Hemi - I'm sensing a Mopar theme here. Here's my suggestion for his next psuedonym: Super Bird!
Attachments
1799_1970PlymouthSuperBird_low_res (Small).jpg
1799_1970PlymouthSuperBird_low_res (Small).jpg (73.41 KiB) Viewed 2938 times
By 426 Hemi
remmoore wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:39 pm
426 Hemi wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:47 pm PREDATOR 158. What can I say? For I have flown My predator 158 at our mountain flying site at a Heavy Hook-im number of 340 pounds. I used water ballast ti get my Hook-in number above 300. I flew my 158 predator at a hook-in number of 340 Pounds. And get this: I had a No-Step landing!
Hey, it's Roadrunner, or T-B-G, using a new name. I thought you might come back as "Phoenix Guy". Welcome back, buddy!
Here's a photo of you flying your beloved Predator before you lost 100+ pounds.
conditiom, the condition to loosing say 100 Pounds is Critical.
Pounds
YES: I call my Diet The POUND DIET. The first Step for one to do is to Pound One self into the Ground. this Part part of the of your recovery is to have THE POUND-DIET is effective . The weight melts off your Body. But this happens to you when you are in a comma in the Hospital. There is no denying that my my POUND-DIET is effective. But it is not for the: " FAINT OF HEART."

. But there is a Caveat: In order to Loose 100 Pounds. One must get closer to Death than Most Pilots are willing to get to:
RM
[/quo