Post your videos as file attachments here. One video per topic please!

Moderators: sg, mods

Good vid and commentary, Jon. I was interested in your comments about thermals produced by hi-tension power lines. In NorCal, we have an XC route which follows a major line for that reason. I don't know how widely accepted that notion is, but I've certainly experienced it.

RM
blindrodie wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:52 pm So what are you thinking, that the power lines "wick" the thermals, or something else? Genuinely interested...
8)
I don't pretend to know the science (if there is any) behind this effect. It's an observation which was first passed on to me by a highly regarded XC/comp pilot who had been making use of it for years.

RM
I flew in an area that was bordered by a river on it's south side. Flowing west to east it curved to the norteast and then back to the south on the southeast corner and the thermals always seemed to "wick" off of that curve on northwesterly days. I would just hang out on the north side of the river around the curve depending on the strength of the day and get thermal after thermal.

Sorry to go :offtopic: on your thread JD...

8)
remmoore wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:54 pm Good vid and commentary, Jon. I was interested in your comments about thermals produced by hi-tension power lines. In NorCal, we have an XC route which follows a major line for that reason. I don't know how widely accepted that notion is, but I've certainly experienced it.

RM
Hi Pilot-X,
There are two reasons that I imagine may be the cause:
1 - Power lines tend to be installed along ridges and other per-existing triggers.
2 - The towers heat up easily in the sun and make excellent heat sinks to warm up the surrounding air so even in the flats, the towers work well.
sg wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:24 am Without an actual statistical study, this sounds an awful lot like confirmation bias at work. Our brains are wired to see patterns that aren't even there.
This is always an issue with every sport and has been well researched. There are several good books and papers written on this. I'm often skeptical of the things I believe and assumptions I make and may test a belief only to find out I was dreaming.
blindrodie wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:32 am I flew in an area that was bordered by a river on it's south side. Flowing west to east it curved to the norteast and then back to the south on the southeast corner and the thermals always seemed to "wick" off of that curve on northwesterly days. I would just hang out on the north side of the river around the curve depending on the strength of the day and get thermal after thermal.

Sorry to go :offtopic: on your thread JD...

8)
Not really OT Jim. The topic of locating lift triggers can never be under-stressed.