All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By Gerhard
Just saying hello, I am new here.
I am originally from South Africa, lived in England for 11 years and moved to Bulgaria a few months ago.
I was looking around here for hang gliding lessons as I finally have the time to learn now, but there is not a whole lot going on here, so I will as with everything else in my life have to teach myself to fly.
I have been flying radio controlled gliders and powered aircraft for 25 years, sailed boats, and flown the odd Cessna from the right hand seat a few times. 😀

I am a big guy at 6'7" weighing in at 275 lbs and I did attend a 7 day course for 2 days here, but left after the instructor kept insisting that I fly his glider rated for 197 lbs, his understanding of turbulence and updrafts also seemed questionable, so that one was a dead end.
Last edited by Gerhard on Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
By dbotos
Gerhard,

Welcome! Are there pilots and/or clubs in your country that you can network with to find proper instruction? Or perhaps take a week or two vacation to somewhere like France that has a bigger hang gliding scene.

David
By flybop
Please get some instruction. As was suggested, take a week or two and travel to a flight park to really learn to fly a hang glider.

Remember; If you crash a rc you go pick it up off the ground. If you crash a hang glider someone else comes and picks you off the ground.
By red
Gerhard wrote:Just saying hello, I am new here. . . I am originally from South Africa, lived in England for 11 years and moved to Bulgaria a few months ago. I will as with everything else in my life have to teach myself to fly.
after the instructor kept insisting that I fly his glider rated for 197 lbs, his understanding of turbulence and updrafts also seemed questionable, so that one was a dead end.
Gerhard,

Welcome to our pilot's evening campfire! Pull up a chair, and be among friends here.

I agree, not all "HG instructors" are created equal. You really need to find the knowledgeable one who can communicate with you at a comfortable level. Please do not attempt to teach yourself to fly, because some mistakes (or the results) can be permanent. You only get one body, ever, and it is a serious tragedy when a flier loses the ability to fly. Even after a good course of instruction, I would recommend going to fly with the most experienced HG pilots in your region. There is much to learn about the sky, beyond the HG lessons.

Your RC planes can be used as scouts, to test the air (for both lift and turbulence) at places where you might wish to fly. They are a very valuable resource for you, there. Please investigate the HG schools of Spain, which will often have good flying weather. The HG pilots of Germany and Britain can give you better advice on HG schools in Europe, their weather, and travel options.

You CAN make your own luck. Make all of your luck THE BEST! 8)
By Fletcher
Gerhard
Back in 1986 three of us took lessons from a very poor "instructor" and decided to teach ourselves instead of dealing with that moron. We were experienced in many sports and fit physically.
We bought a used glider and proceeded to break it on a regular basis.
Someone recommended a reputable school not too far away so we tried them. We got professional instruction and I continued to enjoy flying for 28 Years without ever needing a hospital.
I highly recommend professional instruction if you want to learn to fly and value your life.
The best recreational investment I ever made.
Let us know how your training goes.
Best of luck
Fletcher
By skysurfer
red wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:45 pm

I agree, not all "HG instructors" are created equal. You really need to find the knowledgeable one who can communicate with you at a comfortable level.
I struggled within the same school on my first week long outing. The first instructor was a disaster 2 days lost, the second wasn't very attentive pretty well a day of throwing it off the hill with no feedback, the third it came together for me but my first day with him I was pair up with someone that was just there for the day. Fortunately for the remaining 2 days I was with him and accomplished more in those 2 days than in the 4 prior. Instructor made all the difference.

Austin