All techie stuff here
By NMERider
This bullshit just popped up when I checked the Org. Anyone foolish enough call the phony 855 number in the pop-up may end up getting locked out of his own PC while the thieves on the other end get all your data. The phone# is a well-established fraud boiler room: http://www.800notes.org/8558827403/
Attachments
Og Hack.JPG
Og Hack.JPG (36.27 KiB) Viewed 684 times
Last edited by NMERider on Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
By blindrodie
I got that one. Worked just fine Jono... :twisted: :roll:

8)
By sg
Actually, that may not be evidence of a hack at all.

1. Your computer may already have malware.
2. An evil agent may have slipped crap through Googles advertising filters again.
3. Internal and external scans show nothing

Coincidentally, ive been running deep scans and doing server hardening the last 2 days and havent come across anything suspicious yet.

Hacker activity occurs 24/7 though. Just another normal day running a server.

Has anyone else gotten this?

I need more evidence to take this any more seriously.

I know a lot of people that run web firewalls that throw flags.
If this site has been consistently get flagged, report here.
By NMERider
blindrodie wrote:I got that one. Worked just fine Jono... :twisted: :roll:

8)
Are you being a smartass Jimbo? Because you're making no sense other than being snarky. I'll tell the people I know who were defrauded by this clever scam that Jimbo thumbs his nose as y'all. :crazy:
By NMERider
sg wrote:.....2. An evil agent may have slipped crap through Googles advertising filters again....
It came from an AdSense ad. I missed the other screen capture. My point to readers is to never fall for this old scam. It still snares unwitting people.
Because I run Kaspersky, Windows Defender does do everything and I don't always hit the Disconnect button when my AV tells me a web site doesn't pass the smell test.
Thanks for the detailed explanation.
By sg
Well there you go. Thats kind of what I suspected.
Google is likely the issue. Crap slips through their filters every now and then.

The sensational title blaming this site isn't very helpful.
By blindrodie
Are you being a smartass Jimbo?
:lol: Sorry but, I have little compassion for folks that fall for computer scams like the above. WAKE UP PEEPS! It's 2017 and we've had computers for a long time (well, in computer years that is).

8)
By NMERider
sg wrote:....The sensational title blaming this site isn't very helpful.
My bad on the original title. I was doing too many things at once and ran out of time. I have now changed the title to be more accurate. Unfortunately, too few posters here change titles and/or categories to refine the topics.
By NMERider
blindrodie wrote:
Are you being a smartass Jimbo?
:lol: Sorry but, I have little compassion for folks that fall for computer scams like the above. WAKE UP PEEPS! It's 2017 and we've had computers for a long time (well, in computer years that is).

8)
Jim, I feel the same way as you but not everyone gets it or has been educated. I know people in their 80's who fall for these things and others who just aren't that savvy at spotting a hustle among many other things. How many people readily admit they've been conned? I've seen it too often when folks hide their embarrassment and don't learn how to undo the damage as a result.

Anyhow it was interesting to note that this toll-free number is being used in a variety of scams. A few years ago when I was feeling bored, I picked up the phone during a robo-call just to see how long I could keep the credit consolidation salesman on the other end on the line. After 20 minutes of making 'errors' in recalling my social security number and credit card data, the guy got smart and told me, "Oh, I get it now. You're just fuucking with me. Well, I have your number and I'm going to starting calling you in the middle of the night...." and an assortment of other threats. I told him that I was lonely and looking forward to the contact. Sure enough, he calls me at 0:dark thirty and I pick up the phone only to thank him for the call because I missed his company. He didn't know whether to shyt of go blind (as my daddy used to say). That was the last I heard from him. I know that if he's getting revenge on me then he's not making money. :P :twisted:
By sg
NMERider wrote:
sg wrote:....The sensational title blaming this site isn't very helpful.
My bad on the original title. I was doing too many things at once and ran out of time. I have now changed the title to be more accurate. Unfortunately, too few posters here change titles and/or categories to refine the topics.
Thanks!
By kukailimoku
The only real issue with this particular style of pop-up is if you can't close it or the page. You can also get a fake "leave or stay" message and clicking either will make bead things happen. If you can't leave the page it's off to the task manager and make it go bye-bye.
By miguel
I clicked a link and was directed to the same page. I clicked cancel but it took me to a Windows Defender page that will not go away. They claim I have the Zeus virus. I am guessing that I send some money and the problem goes away.

I am running linux so there is no problem. :)

Others might not be so lucky
ICARO Piuma

Maybe they will come out with a super light weig[…]

Hello everyone!

I would never recommend that you pack up a 1974 […]

What specific things does your instructor want you[…]

Hang Gliding Moments of 2017

the special treat was the Mount Washington flight.[…]