All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By kukailimoku
No kiddin'.

I've done the one-wheel-first bit as part of some heavy crosswind landings but going in a straight line, plenty hard enough for me. I can't imagine figuring out how to turn at the same time.
By Jason
kukailimoku wrote:No kiddin'.

I've done the one-wheel-first bit as part of some heavy crosswind landings but going in a straight line, plenty hard enough for me. I can't imagine figuring out how to turn at the same time.
turning away from the wind no less. :thumbsup:
By red
Campers,

Way back in the day, I watched Bob Hoover in the Rockwell P-51 Mustang land on one wheel only, and go the full length of the runway like that. He lifted off then, made a tight 180 degree turn, and came down the same runway, full length, on the other wheel. What a show! Then later, he did the same two passes, one wheel only, with a twin-engined Shrike Commander. When Bob finally landed, he had both engines cut and feathered. He taxied in (just coasting) and calmly stopped the big Shrike with the front wheel parked ON a baseball cap in front of the stands. The show announcer said "I lose more $5 bets to Bob like that."

:mrgreen:
By waveview
"I just new that GoPro on the wing tip would upset my landing" :)
By DMarley
I saw Bob Hoover a couple times at Cleveland Burke Lakefront Airport back in the 70's and 80's.... flying a whole aerobatics routine in his Shrike.... deadstick.
What a show.
I land my modified T-28 taildragger and Yak 54 like that most of the time on RLF's. Just slip 'em in...
but then they're those foamie deals.
:)
By AIRTHUG
NMERider wrote:Makes me wish I'd grown up to be a bush pilot. :mosh: :mosh: :thumbsup:
DITTO. Real stick and rudder stuff they're doing with those old planes and beefed up wheels and such. Love it! <jealous!>
By TjW
AIRTHUG wrote:
NMERider wrote:Makes me wish I'd grown up to be a bush pilot. :mosh: :mosh: :thumbsup:
DITTO. Real stick and rudder stuff they're doing with those old planes and beefed up wheels and such. Love it! <jealous!>
Bob Hoover's Aero Commander was box stock. There weren't any high side loads on that landing gear, because it wasn't supporting the airplane. The wing was. The wheel just happened to be rolling along the ground. He was just that good.