All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By atmosphereship
Can anyone tell me if the Slipstream control frame legs are the same as the Wills Wing Slipstream legs? Must I order from Aeros only?
By MIK
Felix wrote:
ascaro wrote:...Combats are very simple to adjust,very easy to rig,eas to fly and land..
I totally agree.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and the awesome pictures! That's one hot wing you got there! :mosh:
I guess, easy is a relative term :-) Just switched to Combat 13.2 GT. Have about 8 hours on it so far. Flying/thermalling is easy. Landings... I am still working on that part.
By pablog
MIK wrote:Landings... I am still working on that part.
1/3 VG helps.

Still ? I'm always working on the landing part, who doesn't !! :mrgreen:
By ascaro
Can anyone tell me if the Slipstream control frame legs are the same as the Wills Wing Slipstream legs? Must I order from Aeros only?

Aeros uprights and speedbars are WW,adjusted for their wings.
Only the lenght of the speedbars and uprights are different.
Combats'speedbar are wider than T2C ones,and uprights are circa 2cm shorter.
By Mellowmoods
:drool: :drool: :drool:
By WMichelsen
Regarding Aeros being same as WW, You might want to double check that.

Way back, the corner brackets were different in the way they set the toe-in on the DTs. The WW corner bracket joints were angled on the DT end and fit in square to the BT. The Aeros did the opposite, in that the DT end joint was oriented square to the DT and the receiver on the BT was angled.

The final effect was the same. But, even though they looked very similar, the fitting was different, so the BTs were not interchangeable. I don't know if that has changed.

That doesn't affect the DTs themselves. So if X-section profile, access holes, and length are good, the DTs might be OK.
By atmosphereship
Well I went and did it. I pulled the trigger last week and ordered the Combat C 13.5 and will see it in 90 days. Just in time for the beginning of spring flying. It's also motivation for me to lose the 10 pounds of belly fat I've been wanting to lose for a while. Now I have to to fly this badass bird!
By Felix
atmosphereship wrote:Well I went and did it. I pulled the trigger last week and ordered the Combat C 13.5 and will see it in 90 days. Just in time for the beginning of spring flying. It's also motivation for me to lose the 10 pounds of belly fat I've been wanting to lose for a while. Now I have to to fly this badass bird!

:mosh: :mosh: :mosh: :mosh: :mosh:

Can't wait to see pics, and your grin once you get to fly that bad boy!

You're going to be blown away by the quality of this wing, from taking it out of the box and looking at the details to the flying - it's all spectacular. Be prepared for some serious staring and wing envy :drool:
By Comet
Combats did very well at the just-concluded Canary Open, winning the meet.

Final:
# Name Glider Total
1 Jose Antonio Abollado Aeros Combat 12,7 2683
2 Joseph Salvenmoser Moyes Litespeed RX 3,5 2656
3 Christian Pollet Aeros Combat GT 2639
4 Thomas Weissenberger Moyes Litespeed RS3.5 Technora 2420
5 Jonas Blecher Moyes Litespeed RS 2366
6 Benito Rodriguez Gonzalez Wills Wing T2C 144 2306
7 Georg Schweier Wills Wing T2C 144 2257
8 Ataulfo J. Fernandez Montero Wills Wing T2C 144 2235
9 David Ferreiro Matos Wills Wing T2C 144 2207
10 Francoise Dieuzeide-Banet Moyes Litespeed RX· 2072
By ascaro
Atmosphereship,well done!!!
Wish you many great flights,and happy landings.
We'll share some impressions and settings,too!! :mosh: 8)
By ascaro
Congratulations to all at the Canary Open! Lucky fast guys!!
By ascaro
But consider that it weighs 35 kg,4 kg more than the alu one.

Sorry,my mistake,writing in a hurry.

The Carbon weighs almost 4 kg less than the same Aluminum version.
It's very light to handle inflight,I felt the different inertia from the very first turn.

Bye,M.
By raquo

By NMERider
atmosphereship wrote:Can someone explain, in layman's terms, the chart on this page?

http://aeros.com.ua/structure/hg/tail_en.php
The chart shows that the Aeros Combat with the tail added and sprogs 2° lower is more pitch stable than a typical DHV certified glider with no tail. The same Combat without the tail and sprogs 2° lower is much less pitch stable than a typical DHV certified glider. In other words, the tail is very effective according to the chart.
Please bear in mind that this is advertising copy and not necessarily independent and unbiased testing. At the end of the day we are all test pilots who take our lives in our own hands. Hope this helps.

Ask Jochen why he switched to the Moyes RX while you're at it. I've seen pilots go both ways. To the tail and from the tail. Sounds like a mixed bag to me. I'd love to fly one and make my own call.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0gu8UWDqL0[/youtube]
By atmosphereship
So, as airspeed increases the pitch stability increases? Bar pressure is increasing? I'm trying to understand the y-axis of the graph and the measurement of "pitch-up moment".
By NMERider
atmosphereship wrote:So, as airspeed increases the pitch stability increases? Bar pressure is increasing? I'm trying to understand the y-axis of the graph and the measurement of "pitch-up moment".
Yes. That sums it up.
By highhuber
atmosphereship wrote:So, as airspeed increases the pitch stability increases? Bar pressure is increasing? I'm trying to understand the y-axis of the graph and the measurement of "pitch-up moment".
Scott, yes the pitch stability increases with airspeed as does bar pressure. This is because the tail is canted down 5deg.

It is also mounted on the long fulcrum arm of the keel which gives it a mechanical advantage over the sprogs which are just lifting the trailing edge of the sail and are therefore much less effective for pitch stability.

The large jump up in the yellow line at higher speeds represents this effect on pitch stability with the tail in use.

I have flown my T2C with my atos tail a few times to experiment with its effects on pitch stabillity. It obviously dampens out the pitch stability of the wing but the Atos V tail is canted up or positive so it would lift my keel and bring my control bar back around 6 inches and lowered the bar pressure and I wasn't comfortable with this.

I therefore shimmed it up in back to make it neutral in pitch and found it much more to my liking. The control bar stayed in it's previous position with the same amount of bar pressure throughout the speed range and the tail added some pitch and directional stability also.

Although the Combat has a 2 ft. longer wingspan and greater aspect ratio wing so the tail probably does more for it then it would on my T2C. I rarely fly with the tail anymore because I find the wing is very balanced and stable without it. Although it does add 5sq/ft. of lift to the overall performance and therefore I might use it in early spring or winter conditions for that purpose.

Alot of design perameters go into adding the tail for pitch stability and over all safety and I'm sure that Aeros has considered them alll and feels the tail adds more safety and better handling and performance in their package.

Hopefully your first flight on it will alleviate any concerns about wether you stepped into something above your skill set and we can blow off some long flights together in the coming season.

Scot
By atmosphereship
highhuber wrote:
Scott, yes the pitch stability increases with airspeed as does bar pressure. This is because the tail is canted down 5deg.

It is also mounted on the long fulcrum arm of the keel which gives it a mechanical advantage over the sprogs which are just lifting the trailing edge of the sail and are therefore much less effective for pitch stability.

The large jump up in the yellow line at higher speeds represents this effect on pitch stability with the tail in use.

I have flown my T2C with my atos tail a few times to experiment with its effects on pitch stabillity. It obviously dampens out the pitch stability of the wing but the Atos V tail is canted up or positive so it would lift my keel and bring my control bar back around 6 inches and lowered the bar pressure and I wasn't comfortable with this.

I therefore shimmed it up in back to make it neutral in pitch and found it much more to my liking. The control bar stayed in it's previous position with the same amount of bar pressure throughout the speed range and the tail added some pitch and directional stability also.

Although the Combat has a 2 ft. longer wingspan and greater aspect ratio wing so the tail probably does more for it then it would on my T2C. I rarely fly with the tail anymore because I find the wing is very balanced and stable without it. Although it does add 5sq/ft. of lift to the overall performance and therefore I might use it in early spring or winter conditions for that purpose.

Alot of design perameters go into adding the tail for pitch stability and over all safety and I'm sure that Aeros has considered them alll and feels the tail adds more safety and better handling and performance in their package.

Hopefully your first flight on it will alleviate any concerns about wether you stepped into something above your skill set and we can blow off some long flights together in the coming season.

Scot
Thanks for your explanation Scot. Can't wait to take delivery and fly her. :mosh: