All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By atmosphereship
I'm thinking about ordering an Aeros Combat GT for 2017 flying season. I want to step up to a high aspect ratio topless glider. ( greater than 8.0 )
Any input from pilots experienced in flying this wing would be appreciated. Thanks.
By Felix
The Combat is a fantastic glider. I would suggest you buy the new Combat C model instead of the GT, this new design is quite revolutionary given the Leading Edges that are Oval and Tapered - finally taking full advantage that Carbon Fiber has to offer.
The C will be better performing and most of all: better, easier handling! I like flying My Combat C more than my Sport 2 glider not for the performance (even though that's nice, but not really needed unless you're going XC or competing), but because I find it easier to fly. Figure that!
The GT will do you well too, I'm sure, but if you can swing it, go all the way and get the best there is out there today.
:mosh:
By atmosphereship
Thanks Felix. I would go with the Combat C but I hook in at about 250-255 lbs. Too much for the 13.5 sq.m. I'm afraid. Too bad it isn't offered in a 14.2 sq.m.
By Felix
atmosphereship wrote:Thanks Felix. I would go with the Combat C but I hook in at about 250-255 lbs. Too much for the 13.5 sq.m. I'm afraid. Too bad it isn't offered in a 14.2 sq.m.
Well, the hook-in numbers for the C are more a little off, for sure. I would get in touch with Oleg and talk about hook-in load for the C. The wing I have is the 12.7. For me it didn't make sense I should fly such a tiny glider! However Oleg flew this very glider when first came out and he hooked in it at around 220+ lbs - the guy won everything on this tiny glider! Which is where I hook in at. On paper it doesn't make sense (and even on their site the hook in weight recommended says 209 tops), but in reality, believe it or not, I feel light on the glider. I stay in light lift with the best of them, easily! I've seen PG'ers go down and plenty other gliders while I kept on flying like I was on some huge wing. It's mind boggling the way this new design carries weight. Higher aspect ratio and more sail tension, less twist (given the new oval leading edges) result in much better weight load capacities, and as crazy as it was for me to consider buying such a small glider at my clip in weight, on my first flight on it I was blown away by its ability to easily carry all of me plus cameras, plus instrument, plus water. Total weight I added with all of me and my stuff might be closer to 230 lbs. Still, I felt light on it. It sounds crazy, I know, but this glider sure is a game changer!
John Simon (who recently classified in the top 3 at some comps) also switched from the old Combal L 15 (15!) to the 12.7 and he's climbing though people like it's nothing. He hooks in at around 230 lbs I believe.
Call me crazy, but I honestly believe the 13.5 would work well for you. I wish there was a way for you to take one for a test flight, I'm certain it would leave you in awe.
I can try to put you in touch with Oleg, or I can discuss the matter with him if you wish.
I'm sure the GT is a sweet glider and would do you well, but the C is just something else. I'm certain the new design will be copied by (probably all) other manufacturers soon enough.
By atmosphereship
Felix, I would love to get more input from Oleg on this.
By atmosphereship
I'm surprised there aren't more Combat pilots here on the org.
Bueller?...Bueller?...Bueller?
By wilburleft
Kombats правило!
By combat.is.hell
atmosphereship wrote:I'm surprised there aren't more Combat pilots here on the org.
Bueller?...Bueller?...Bueller?

I have a Combat 09 but I guess there is a bit of difference between mine and the Combat GT or the Combat C. There is one thing that I really don't like about it and have never been able to improve 100%: if you land on a field with slightly uneven ground then the final glide in ground effect will cause this high-lift wing to lift one side.
The uneven ground will cause one side to lift much more than it lifts with my T2. Coupled with the fact that the wing reacts slowly to input, you are likely to make a "bad" landing.
The only way to avoid this is to bleed off the excess speed a bit higher, say 4-5 meters over the ground, then pull in a bit of extra speed (but not much) and then flair as soon as your feet come near or in contact with the ground. You are in other words trying to avoid flying in ground effect. However this type of landing profile is not always possible so my landing statistics with the Combat are never as good at with my T2.

Then you should be aweare that Aeros has probably the worst service & support imaginable (Eastern Europeans are not quite as service-minded as you thought) and not even a good dealer can guarantee good service.

Otherwise the Combat has a really impressive glide, almost like a rigid wing. If you are regularly flying XC and taking part in competitions then this wing can make a difference.
By pablog
atmosphereship wrote:I'm surprised there aren't more Combat pilots here on the org.
I've flown a Combat 12.7 GT for two seasons already and I love it. Pics and initial comments here http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=32708.

I'm even happier with this glider now than in the time of the post above. From what I've heard, the Combat C seems like a very good choice if you can afford it.

Good flights !!
By skyordie
I'm on 13.7 GT since 2011. Seven seasons later I'm still with original uprights and 700+ hours airtime, replaced the sail this summer and counting.... :punch:
By Felix
skyordie wrote:I'm on 13.7 GT since 2011. Seven seasons later I'm still with original uprights and 700+ hours airtime, replaced the sail this summer and counting.... :punch:
wow! 7 years, 700+ hours, same downtubes?? :mosh:
By ascaro
Hi guys,
me on 13.5 C,nowadays,bought last Summer.
I come from Combat L 14.2,then 13.5 GT alumunim LE.

The C is a completely different wing,different airfoil,different overall behaviour,with lighter handling compared to the aluminum one.
I've been flying Combats with tail from 4 seasons,now,and the tail is a truly advantage in flight. No more nervous pitch up/down movements, thermalling is always so smooth that gives you a better state of mind,even in turbulence.
One important thing is you have to load the wing. It's better to fly at the top end of the size,every. Better handling and stability in bumpy conditions (more roll response)

Anyway, the Carbon comes at a higher price, so if you want to save some money,get the alu one.
But consider that it weighs 35 kg,4 kg more than the alu one.

I find it very useful the trimming system,too (GT versions).
You can thermal and land very very slowly with fully aft position,and then gain the extra speed sliding your CG fully forward. Yes,it's almost anther 0.5 kg,but it's fantastic. You can change trim whenever you want.

I never found the same gliding performance on other gliders,except from Laminar (talking of standard,safe settings.)
I tried Litespeeds S 4,4.5, T2C 2013 144, T2C 154 2012,14.8 Laminar 2012...I've always come back on Aeros wings.
Yeah,biased, you may say. Probably,I'd say. But Combats are very simple to adjust,very easy to rig,eas to fly and land.
And finally the C version has the same perfect finiture and attentions for the details that maybe were missing on past models.
Attachments
vlcsnap-2016-10-31-19h29m44s143.png
vlcsnap-2016-10-31-19h29m44s143.png (2.76 MiB) Viewed 7321 times
By ascaro
Internal
Attachments
IMG_20151205_134501.jpg
IMG_20151205_134501.jpg (2.41 MiB) Viewed 7307 times
By ascaro
Sail
Attachments
IMG_20151205_134632.jpg
IMG_20151205_134632.jpg (4.82 MiB) Viewed 7296 times
By ascaro
Sprogs dyneema cables,for ultimate weight reduction. Pre-stretched at 3000 kg.
Attachments
IMG_20151205_135643.jpg
IMG_20151205_135643.jpg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 7301 times
By ascaro
Carbon oval LE,made by Swiss Carbon Carbolink.

The Swiss Cloudbase Aeros is working on a prototype central junction fully made of carbon plates,and there is a stiffer X-bar,too.
Attachments
IMG_20151205_135623.jpg
IMG_20151205_135623.jpg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 7319 times
By ascaro
Nose
Attachments
IMG_20151205_140236.jpg
IMG_20151205_140236.jpg (1.93 MiB) Viewed 7284 times
By ascaro
13.5 C Gt.
Attachments
IMG_20160220_123025.jpg
IMG_20160220_123025.jpg (3.71 MiB) Viewed 7316 times
By Felix
ascaro wrote:...Combats are very simple to adjust,very easy to rig,eas to fly and land..
I totally agree.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and the awesome pictures! That's one hot wing you got there! :mosh: