flying alone?!

It's okay
68%
It's not okay
22%
The third option
9%
By AndRand
miraclepieco wrote:If it weren't okay to fly alone there would be little XC.
:thumbsup:
By syncnsarc
It's either that or not flying. I crashed 3 yrs ago breaking my arm in several places, and managed to stagger several miles to a warm, farm house. Even if I had launched with someone, they couldn't have done anything to help me. I don't enjoy gaggles or yak. I don't expect anyone to save me or hold my hand.
By Cal Glider
I do it all the time. Do I like to...no, but it is a choice of fly alone or don't fly, I will fly alone because not flying is not an option.
By joshuajneufeld
This one has been bugging me too.

There is a lot of "notion" among my local club that pilots should not fly alone. But here's the rub, I get more air time than anyone and it's because I fly alone. It's nice to go with other pilots, but if you really want to excel, you have to fly alone. But there precautions one should take, like anything you do in HG.

So I let someone know, where I'm flying, when I'll be launching, and when I'm expected to check in by. That's really all you can do.

Now, as a HG pilot, the odds of me landing in the trees are so low if I'm just recreating, but if I choose to do Aerobatics, maybe that's a different story.

Just use your wildnerness sense, and ask yourself how long do you want to spend in a tree or with a broken clavicle at the LZ. You know the risks.
By Roadrunner71
I Remember when I was flying Mt. Diablo, alone. I would call Pilot-X and ask X who was at Work to watch my launch video that was observing launch the Camera that was set up so that X was able to witness my launch from his office. I felt better knowing that I had a witness of my launch.

Yes having the launch being observed by X made me not feel so alone.
By Takeo77
9 times out of 10, because I launch everyone ahead of me, I'm the last man off the hill. Sometimes I'm in the air alone too. I'm acutely aware if anything happens it'll be a while before anyone is able to help me and I accept that.
By Roadrunner
How about this thought?

What about when You are Flying X/C. Does anyone have the concern that I do, that one should have a witness? So that if You should Blow Your Landing, there will be someone to call 911. I for one have; Been there, Done that.
As I Type this My Sister is talking with John on My Phone regarding what I will need to do to get to Fly down South with the Guys at Wind sports. Also I hope to fly Franks Condor. But in order for Frank to agree to let Me Fly his Condor 330, I will need to receive an OK, Good to go recommendation from the Guys at Wind Sports.

Yes, The case with My returning to the Sky. By taking one Step, by Step, careful steps. But many steps will add up to a Huge, Giant Leap.

Check this out; I really believe that I am going to Fly again. I will get My ratings back . So do not be too surprised to find Your self in a Thermal, and a Teal Green Predator co=res through You.

Gpood By Everyone: Chris McKeon 925-497-1059.