Polling threads

Moderators: sg, mods

Do you think its funny to post pics of a fellow HG pilot getting hurt or having a potential bad accident?

Yes
11%
No
89%
By AIRTHUG
Yup, while getting pulled forward through the bar (and resisting the pull with his arms) he could have let go and reached for the release. That would have insured a good outcome :thumbsup:

:crazy:
By day dreamer
I believe in karma.
By AIRTHUG
day dreamer wrote:I believe in karma.
Then what's coming to the guy who has no compassion for someone's misfortune, through no fault of their own?
davisstraub wrote:I'm too old to worry about what some idiot in California thinks about me or my flying.
After flying a meet- 7 out of 7 days- against Davis, I have to say I have a lot of respect for him. *I* was hurting, tired, sore... after day 3... Davis had a smile on his face and a bounce in his step every day. Some days he did better than others, but unlike me or Dustin, there was no pouting about it.

Respect.

If you don't know him, haven't flown with him, don't be so judgmental. If you are basing your opinion of him off of what a guy called "cockroach" says happened years ago... well... yea.
By day dreamer
You have alot of knowledge about Hang Gliding Ryan. But it takes alot more than that for me to respect you or anyone else.
By Zeph
Davis, Thanks for the lengthy write up on the incident. Good of you to do under a "hostile" environment this thread kind of is. Trying to help people understand and stay safe after an oops is a cool thing. :thumbsup:
By jjcote
OK, so here's the elephant in the room: the caption says "Davis Straub's faceplant.". If this was an anonymous pilot lying face-down attached to a whacked glider next to a tow dolly, would it be considered laugh-your-ass-off funny? Or is this schadenfreude because it's Davis? (Yes, those are rhetorical questions. And not just because it was a Rhettorical tow.)
By Paul H
michael170 wrote:
Hangskier wrote:I should have known that Davis would have done a mishap analysis.
And not one single word about the fact that he could not abort the tow.
Ok, Tad wannabe, how would you abort a tow while still on a cart??? Let's hear some of your expertise on the subject.
By stephmet
Davis,

I remember seeing the launch that your link points to, at the Rob Kells Memorial. What do you think occurred? What would you have done differently to come out of the cart a little more cleanly? I remember the conditions were a bit rowdy getting out of the ridge and there were a number of weak link breaks, etc. I ask as I try to learn from other peoples experiences.

Stephan
By Paul H
michael170 wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh3-uZpt ... r_embedded[/youtube]
No, I said "your" expertise, not someone else's. You're so quick to jump in with the BS comments, how about something with substance that you are personally familiar with? Or will you just keep parroting someone else's rants?
By remmoore
I don't really get the humor of this specific incident. Davis is Davis - warts and all, but I've never got the impression he thinks he is impervious to the potential risks in this sport. He actually seems alot better than the typical pilot in pointing out his own mistakes and mishaps.

As the victim of a potentially serious towing accident myself, (Thank you, MC helmet!) I'm pretty sensitive to others who've had a similar experience. I wouldn't laugh at anyone who's gone through it.

RM
By Paul H
Most of us wouldn't, either, RM.
By miraclepieco
Davedebogusone wrote: did he blame the incident on global waming? or did a bush grab his dolly.
Now THAT'S funny, right there!

But thirteen stitches? NOT FUNNY!

I sure appreciate the OZ Report and am glad Davis wasn't hurt so he can keep posting it!
By davisstraub
And not one single word about the fact that he could not abort the tow.
Sorry that my report from eight years ago was not thorough enough for you.

Since then I have published numerous articles on mouth releases which hopefully if I had used one I could have managed to operate successfully at that time.

The first five seconds of a cart based aerotow are by far the most dangerous and after that releasing with a barrel release is probably a better idea.

I think that Julia had a mouth release but maybe not.
By AIRTHUG
Michael- that video was posted March 2 of this year. I do not think Davis could have seen it in 2004 or whenever it was! :ahh:

EDIT: dang, Davis beat me to it!
By davisstraub
I remember seeing the launch that your link points to, at the Rob Kells Memorial. What do you think occurred?
I'm trying to remember exactly. I get into more trouble when I use a V-bridle going to the keel (as you can see from the pictures above when the tow rope pulls the glider into the ground as the carabineer inches up the V-bridle).

I'm thinking that the connection of the V-bridle to the keel was too far forward. I didn't change it after Steve Pearson loaned me the Falcon 4 after the Wills Wing Demo Days at Wallaby Ranch. I think that after another tow I moved it back.

The second tow was without incident but I remember having to push out real hard and quick to get the glider unstuck from the cart. That's when as I vaguely recall I shortened up the line on the keel that was forward of the carabineer.
By adyr
If the pilot is hurt, it's not funny. Not funny at all. It's not funny even if only the hang glider sustains damage. But I think I'm sick, I have empathy or something.
By noman3
AIRTHUG wrote:
day dreamer wrote:I believe in karma.
Then what's coming to the guy who has no compassion for someone's misfortune, through no fault of their own?
davisstraub wrote:I'm too old to worry about what some idiot in California thinks about me or my flying.
After flying a meet- 7 out of 7 days- against Davis, I have to say I have a lot of respect for him. *I* was hurting, tired, sore... after day 3... Davis had a smile on his face and a bounce in his step every day. Some days he did better than others, but unlike me or Dustin, there was no pouting about it.

Respect.

If you don't know him, haven't flown with him, don't be so judgmental. If you are basing your opinion of him off of what a guy called "cockroach" says happened years ago... well... yea.

my opinion of him changed when he apologized.My opinion of you also changed when you smashed in while being a d--- head to a pg pilot and dislocated your ego.Quit using me as a means to get your point across.Your opinion means about as much as mine does,which is jack s---.Your no dustin bud! I wished you lived closer so i could talk face to face about this.If this just happened to davis i hope hes alright and despite what you think of me ryan,i would never hope someone harm.Even though you have a hard on for me ryan ,i would still be one of the first people to help you if you got your ass in a sling.

so what is your problem with me man,whats your beef?
By noman3
davisstraub wrote:
I remember seeing the launch that your link points to, at the Rob Kells Memorial. What do you think occurred?
I'm trying to remember exactly. I get into more trouble when I use a V-bridle going to the keel (as you can see from the pictures above when the tow rope pulls the glider into the ground as the carabineer inches up the V-bridle).

I'm thinking that the connection of the V-bridle to the keel was too far forward. I didn't change it after Steve Pearson loaned me the Falcon 4 after the Wills Wing Demo Days at Wallaby Ranch. I think that after another tow I moved it back.

The second tow was without incident but I remember having to push out real hard and quick to get the glider unstuck from the cart. That's when as I vaguely recall I shortened up the line on the keel that was forward of the carabineer.
hey davis when did this happen?
By davisstraub
The first was eight years ago.

The second one was in April.

It's all good. I'm looking forward to a good season of competition and record setting in 2013.