All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By Erik Boehm

I also like this one:

and this one:

Last week it was barely more than a sledder, good for shaking off the cobwebs and feeling out this new-to-me glider (a 10+ year old kingposted laminar).

Today was a much longer soaring flight, and after reaching cloudbase, I decided to "put it through its paces"
Last edited by Erik Boehm on Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Jason
too close to the clouds for me..........

does the guy loaning you a glider know you are doing this to his glider?
By Erik Boehm
Its not "a guy", it belongs to the club, and nobody else has uses it.
By hghflyn
It has to be as strong as your great looking HE harness :popcorn:

Nice looking harness BTW :P

What are all the beiners for? :mrgreen: :thumbsup:
By Spark
nice shots Erik :)
By NMERider
I fixed it for ya!
Attachments
Erik.jpg
Erik.jpg (62.95 KiB) Viewed 2849 times
By Bondy
#1 or what
#2 cool
#3 cool
First one, just a little less glare would be cool. Giving that thing a good workout NME
A couple of instructors here told me that 2 carabiners hooked together was a no no, something about metal on metal, anyone know why?
By NMERider
Bondy wrote:....A couple of instructors here told me that 2 carabiners hooked together was a no no, something about metal on metal, anyone know why?
It's noisy and the cops might cite you for disturbing the peace.
By oshi
not
By red
Bondy wrote:A couple of instructors here told me that 2 carabiners hooked together was a no no, something about metal on metal, anyone know why?
Bondy,

Back in the day, carabiners did not usually have locking gates, or the locks were not spring-loaded. Link two such carabiners together, give them just the right twist, and they will separate as if by magic, without touching either gate by hand.

Now, I think it's more a matter of micro-point loading, where straps would spread the forces applied, more evenly. Point loading maybe could cause a metal fracture, but it''s all theory, to me. I do not know if a modern (5kg+) steel carabiner has ever failed due to linking to a second carabiner, but it's still one less thing to go wrong, if you use only one carabiner. As general advice, I like to share this: "Beware of jury-rigs, on any flying gear. Get it right, or don't go." We do this flying stuff for FUN!

So one time, 'way back in the day, a new pilot was telling me that two linked carabiners could not simply separate, like I had tried to tell him. So, I just kept clicking two carabiners together, giving them the little twist, and having them fall apart. I did this repeatedly, as he kept talking, until he finally ran out of words and yelled at me "Will you STOP doing that!" We had a good laugh together, but he got the message. :lol:

:mrgreen:
By NMERider
Bondy wrote:....Giving that thing a good workout NME...
I only gave Erik's photo a good workout by flipping it for better perspective. I'm just a big pussy who will never go that far past vertical. :wink:
By Erik Boehm
Hmm, I thought silhouetting myself against the sun (un-intentionally) was cool, giving me a "halo" or something, I guess other's tastes differ.

There aren't 2 carabiners, its a really short hangstrap that was wrapped around the biner because I was hanging too low.

Maybe this picture makes it a little clearer, its not one biner connected directly to another.
Attachments
Picture 13.png
Picture 13.png (338.09 KiB) Viewed 2732 times