[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/mysqli.php on line 264: mysqli_fetch_assoc(): Couldn't fetch mysqli_result
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/mysqli.php on line 326: mysqli_free_result(): Couldn't fetch mysqli_result
Fly with a camera! - Hang Gliding Org
All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By lostgriz
I can't say enough about how great it has been for me to fly with a camera. I have learned so much by watching my launches/flights/landings. If you haven't been flying with a camera, you may be very surprised to find out what you are actually doing, vs what you thought you were doing. I have made it a practice to record every flight. It only takes a couple extra minutes and cameras are cheap. Get one and start learning from your mistakes and recording your epic moments. When it is raining outside, like it is now, you can watch some of your own footage and relive a great flight.

Do it! :goodidea:
By CAL
couldn't agree more :thumbsup:
By dievhart
Yep, a must....but also, please don't let them be a distraction.
I saw the need to start collecting camera mounting ideas and started a yahoo group (link at the bottom of every one of my post) but SG might agree we should have a place here for them??
Either way come join and read some tip / ideas .... Check out some links / photos of mounts (on and off gliders) .... etc etc.
Diev
Last edited by dievhart on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
By pjwings
No doubt. I wish I had more footage of my earliest flights... even training hill flights. At the time it would have helped me a great deal to improve my launches and landings. Now, looking back, I'd love to have them for the archives.

:goodidea:
By jjcote
One argument to be made for using a camera all the time is that it's probably less likely to be a distraction in that case. Setting it up becomes routine, and since it's always there, the pilot may be less likely to "show off" for the camera. (I say this despite rarely using one myself.)
By remmoore
My wingtip camera mount is constructed for only one camera angle. With the receiver socket permanently mounted to a rib, all I have to do is plug in the mount and turn the camera on. Virtually no distraction - I just fly my flight.

Later, I looked through the thousands of photos the camera took. Usually, there are some gems - and sometimes I capture stuff I didn't even notice while flying.

RM
By red
dievhart wrote:Yep, a must....but also, please don't let them be a distraction.
I saw the need to start collecting camera mounting ideas and started a yahoo group (link at the bottom of every one of my post) but SG might agree we should have a place here for them??
Either way come join and read some tip / ideas .... Check out some links / photos of mounts (on and off gliders) .... etc etc.
Diev
Diev,

We do have a place for camera stuff here, in the WIKI:
http://www.hanggliding.org/wiki/Cameras_and_Mounts

There are a few tips on adding new stuff to the WIKI, too:
http://www.hanggliding.org/wiki/First_t ... iting_here

If I plan to add something to the WIKI, I type it up in Notepad (or any text editor) first, then just Copy and Paste it into place. (If you just type a lot straight into the Edit page, and forget where it went, you probably won't get it back.)

It's snowing, here. :crazy:

:mrgreen:
By dievhart
I remember that wiki page Red, I guess I am not sure how it would handle a bunch of photos so one could browse through them...I am thinking more of just a camera mount gallery....create a new mount, upload a pic to the gallery= simple...no editing involved....and a common place to share all our camera mounts.
Diev
By lostgriz
The camera has never been a distraction to me. Now that I am moving to a DS wing, I need to start looking at other mounting alternatives, so I can capture my first flights with my new glider. I really like the wingtip camera angle for reviewing my landings. The one option that I wish I had is a remote. I am planning to get the new Hero2 with the remote when it hits the market.

Diev, Thanks for sharing the link, I will check that out.