Post your videos as file attachments here. One video per topic please!

Moderators: sg, mods

By Skyhighwoman
And to think we left disappointed we did not have our wing. I hate North componet winds at funston. I feel much better now. :wink:

Everybody sing a long - Ring my bell bell bell ring my bell.
By JV-Joe
Skyhighwoman wrote:And to think we left disappointed we did not have our wing. I hate North componet winds at funston. I feel much better now. :wink:

Everybody sing a long - Ring my bell bell bell ring my bell.
yup, im glad i didint set up. my back hurting was just in the right time.
By dievhart
Why didn't they just land by the clubhouse? Lemmings?
Who landed first over there? CapTim?(and was fine?)
Diev
By oshi
they look like theyre coming in slow? was it a strongheadwind?
By Cloudhopper
It was just as bad by the clubhouse... Emily pounded back there. No escaping it unless you stayed on the ground. (my plan)
By DBrose
To survive.. Land on the beach or don't fly.. Wow... It could have been worse.. Nasty rotor baby!
Rotor any advice?
By JV-Joe
DBrose wrote:To survive.. Land on the beach or don't fly.. Wow... It could have been worse.. Nasty rotor baby!
Rotor any advice?
it was a perfect day for my back to hurt, i had the glider out but didnt setup. at the time it was really good. west at 15mph. but my back was just not happening. so we just sat around and watched the show. then it started to get bad. everyone from westlake were getting really high 1k +, when it started to pick up they came back, and those landings happened. Landing way back by the club house was also really rotory.
By FlyBig
When the forecast is strong and north, which it was, look to go fly Marina instead. Marina faces WNW versus Funston's WSW.

If it's blown out and north at the Fort look for Mission. Much safer this way.
By JV-Joe
FlyBig wrote:When the forecast is strong and north, which it was, look to go fly Marina instead. Marina faces WNW versus Funston's WSW.

:goodidea: :ditto: :thumbsup:
By Manta_Dreaming
Looks painful.
By Sky_Walker
:shock:

"I s--- my pants ... "

:surrender:
By dievhart
So when it is strong and north, go to marina
and when it is blown out and north go to mission?
you mean blown out west (nw)=mission
I went to marina as it looked too north sat.
Diev

FlyBig wrote:When the forecast is strong and north, which it was, look to go fly Marina instead. Marina faces WNW versus Funston's WSW.

By Spitfire
I'm curious to know...were these crashes unavoidable? If you put the best pilots in those conditions would they have odds on crashed or not? And if not, what would they have done differently?

I'm wondering whether the crashes were caused by a limitation in our equipment or current level of knowledge and were basically unavoidable or not.
By dievhart
Avoidable, stay on the ground or go land on the beach.....like others said.
But, had they been able to see the rotors, they might have been able to fly faster (depending on glider/hand/body position) through them and get to some better air (then slow down and land)....but can you see rotors?....that move?? :surrender:
You think you know where they are but the wind is shifting all over so it moves them around :ahh: :ahh: ....
When this happens the pilots on the ground should make sure there are lots of streamers all over the LZ.....so the pilots in the air can find a good spot to set her down......(or make sure there are lots in the LZ before you launch in this type of condition so you are ready for the nasty landing (there is your answer)).
Diev
By J Fritsche
Just how bad is the hike up from the beach? Can you land way to the north and have a short walk with your stuff out to--I think it's called--the Great Highway? I expect to fly there in April, and I'm too damn old to land in that type of trash anymore (I know it's fine when it's not northy; I landed there a couple times 20 years ago).
By Manta_Dreaming
That section of the beach got eroded out real bad a few winters back - they had to shift the highway so I'm not sure how much of the beach is left there.
By dievhart
It's not a bad hike up from the beach, just a process to break down in the sand down there and then hike the glider up the sandy trail (if someone comes down (and brings your glider bag) to carry your harness (and help with the glider) it makes it sooooo much better).
Yes you can just go to the north (if you can get there) and land right by HWY 1....that works out great ....if you have a ride (phones help) as we all wait to hear from someone (if someone doesn't just go get them).
Diev
By fakeDecoy
Watch where Chris and Kurt land in northy wind. Never a problem. That spot got even better last year after Gene flattened out the upwind terrain.

We could make an instructional video, but that wouldn't be fair.