Funny/Friendly Off topic discussion. Fail this test and threads will be migrated to Way Off Topic.

Moderators: sg, mods

By Dieden
I have just started to seriously look into this sport and it is pretty evident that this forum is one of the best place to snag some first hand insight. I will just be lurking in the background for a few months in my reading and "saving money" phase. Any reading recommendations to keep me busy and make me feel like I'm making progress for a few months?
By Phoenix
Here is a good one I liked as a newb:
http://www.willswing.com/Accessories/rightStuff.asp

It's a pretty good intro before getting into the real technical stuff,
such as the Pagan books. Check out the USHPA site, and the wiki.

Make sure you get withe RED on this site, he's got some good stuff. :thumbsup:
By Hangskier
"Towing Aloft", "HG Training Manual" both by Dennis Pagen.
By Windlord
:welcome:
If you want something to keep your mind occupied, you might want to pick up the Hang Gliding Training Manual by Dennis Pagen.
Should run around $29.95 at most places.
If you plan on or are thinking of taking lessons, this will give you a headstart on what is to come and expected of you.
There's a ton of information on here, so don't be affraid to ask. We've all been there before.
By FormerFF
Assuming you will be training at LMFP, you may want Hang Gliding for Beginning Pilots, which is what they use. Also, if you feel like making a road trip, come out on a northwesterly day this winter.
By Dieden
Wow, what a quick response!!!! I think I will probably grab a copy of each of the books mentioned. LMFP is definately where I will be looking at getting certified, but I don't think I will be headed out there until May/June at the earliest. I know as soon as I take my first tandem, there is no way I will be able to put off certification... I would rather have most of the money set aside before I get that addicted feeling.
By lostgriz
Windlord wrote::welcome:
If you want something to keep your mind occupied, you might want to pick up the Hang Gliding Training Manual by Dennis Pagen.
Should run around $29.95 at most places.
If you plan on or are thinking of taking lessons, this will give you a headstart on what is to come and expected of you.
There's a ton of information on here, so don't be affraid to ask. We've all been there before.
:ditto: Study this book and you will be way ahead when you start your lessons.

WELCOME!
By TomGalvin
A simple drill you can do at home is to get 2 eggs and head outside. Make an OK sign with your hand, and pick up the eggs from the top third, with the large end of the egg towards the ground. Keep your elbows about a foot away from your ribs, and the eggs just slightly in front of and to the side of your waist. With 2 walking steps smoothly accelerate into a jog then a run and then a few sprinting steps. You should be able to do this in about 25 yards. Do not close your fist around the eggs or let them drop. Repeat a few times a week until your first lesson. This drill will teach you how to maintain a firm but light grip while running. This tends to be one of the most common hurdles that beginners face.
By Dan Harding
TomGalvin wrote:A simple drill you can do at home is to get 2 eggs and head outside. Make an OK sign with your hand, and pick up the eggs from the top third, with the large end of the egg towards the ground. Keep your elbows about a foot away from your ribs, and the eggs just slightly in front of and to the side of your waist. With 2 walking steps smoothly accelerate into a jog then a run and then a few sprinting steps. You should be able to do this in about 25 yards. Do not close your fist around the eggs or let them drop. Repeat a few times a week until your first lesson. This drill will teach you how to maintain a firm but light grip while running. This tends to be one of the most common hurdles that beginners face.

Do yourself a favor, boil them first,,, :rofl:
By TomGalvin
Dan Harding wrote:Do yourself a favor, boil them first,,, :rofl:
What's the point of cheating at a drill?
By Dieden
Haha, I think I WILL boil them. I would prefer not to have to wash all the raw egg out of my clothes.
By jjcote
Dieden wrote:Haha, I think I WILL boil them. I would prefer not to have to wash all the raw egg out of my clothes.
Then you're missing the point. Don't break the eggs.
By Phoenix
jjcote wrote:
Dieden wrote:Haha, I think I WILL boil them. I would prefer not to have to wash all the raw egg out of my clothes.
Then you're missing the point. Don't break the eggs.
Exactly! It's eggs or cow pies. Brilliant exercise! :thumbsup:
By SlopeSkimmer
Would 4 foot fluorescent light bulbs work?
By psilyguy
SlopeSkimmer wrote:Would 4 foot fluorescent light bulbs work?
Ouch! Talk about learning the hard way!

Welcome Dieden!
By Dieden
SlopeSkimmer wrote:Would 4 foot fluorescent light bulbs work?
Only if you are OK with Mercury poisioning... I am a bit uneasy holding a neurotoxin in my hands knowing I will probably mess up a time or two and break the glass. :shock:
Some air to air footage with Dennis

Good stuff again WB, do you use the drag chute oft[…]

Some "hands off" flying ;-)

The glider would be stronger, he believed. It […]

Second flight, and first XC on the T2C 144c and t[…]