All things hang gliding. This is the main forum. New users, introduce yourself.

Moderators: sg, mods

By hangtime
I took hg lessons from Ken DeRussy in Santa Barbara, and Gene Hackman's son, Chris was taking lessons with us there. He was doing well, I think he got at least his H-2. His dad showed up one day to watch him.
By NMERider
Mavi Gogun wrote:Snake Plissken.
:roflcat:
By FlyingTechGuy
I guess it kind of depends on what you mean by "famous people." If you are referring to the standard notion of movie stars and recording artists, then there are slim pickens because - well - they're kinda spoon-fed pu--ies that are more risk adverse than an average Hang 1.

I mean, Nick Cage talked about it, said he liked it. So what's the problem? A movie contract with prohibitive clauses only exists for the duration of the movie - most of the time 3 months. There is nothing stopping him all the rest of the time.

In other words it's not that we don't have a cool sport for them to participate in, with great training and equipment - it's that their punk ass won't do it.

In terms of celebrity however, there SHOULD actually be people who are celebrities JUST for flying hang gliders, like in other sports. I mean, Shawn White is famous as hell for snowboarding. What's Shawn White have over a Johnny Durand, or a John "the loopster" Heiney in terms of skills and talents? And Shawn White was famous and had a following without a Gold Medal.

These guys in HG should be sports celebrities in their own right - but it does not happen because Hang Gliding is not mainstream enough to matter to the general public. And remember, "Main Stream" is where famous people live... it's the only place where you can be truly famous to the masses. If your sport is accepted by the mainstream, you have a shot.

So the truly talented and gifted folks in this sport will go on to marvel those who are capable of appreciating it, but will be largely unsung heroes. Folks like Ken Musico who I have never met - and probably never will at this rate - but am blown away at his skills at age 71. Geez, THAT is a friggin rockstar and celebrity in my book, But no one outside of a few will know, nor care.

If your daughter is truly looking for mainstream celebs that Hang Glide, it's going to be a very short project. But if she wanted to highlight, through Hang Gliding, what is a celeb due to their skills and their courage outside of mainstream thinking, I believe there is a lot to work with here.
By JV-Joe
FlyingTechGuy wrote:I guess it kind of depends on what you mean by "famous people." If you are referring to the standard notion of movie stars and recording artists, then there are slim pickens because - well - they're kinda spoon-fed pu--ies that are more risk adverse than an average Hang 1.

I mean, Nick Cage talked about it, said he liked it. So what's the problem? A movie contract with prohibitive clauses only exists for the duration of the movie - most of the time 3 months. There is nothing stopping him all the rest of the time.

In other words it's not that we don't have a cool sport for them to participate in, with great training and equipment - it's that their punk ass won't do it.

In terms of celebrity however, there SHOULD actually be people who are celebrities JUST for flying hang gliders, like in other sports. I mean, Shawn White is famous as hell for snowboarding. What's Shawn White have over a Johnny Durand, or a John "the loopster" Heiney in terms of skills and talents? And Shawn White was famous and had a following without a Gold Medal.

These guys in HG should be sports celebrities in their own right - but it does not happen because Hang Gliding is not mainstream enough to matter to the general public. And remember, "Main Stream" is where famous people live... it's the only place where you can be truly famous to the masses. If your sport is accepted by the mainstream, you have a shot.

So the truly talented and gifted folks in this sport will go on to marvel those who are capable of appreciating it, but will be largely unsung heroes. Folks like Ken Musico who I have never met - and probably never will at this rate - but am blown away at his skills at age 71. Geez, THAT is a friggin rockstar and celebrity in my book, But no one outside of a few will know, nor care.

If your daughter is truly looking for mainstream celebs that Hang Glide, it's going to be a very short project. But if she wanted to highlight, through Hang Gliding, what is a celeb due to their skills and their courage outside of mainstream thinking, I believe there is a lot to work with here.
people young kids will recognize.. is what i think is best, since its his little girls 6th grade class.... for example if Lady Gaga Was a pilot, Jayz, Brad Pitt, Katy Perry.. etc etc

i say just make it up
By FlyingTechGuy
people young kids will recognize.. is what i think is best, since its his little girls 6th grade class.... for example if Lady Gaga Was a pilot, Jayz, Brad Pitt, Katy Perry.. etc etc

i say just make it up
That works too! :goodidea:

And then have the class try to prove it wrong :thumbsup:
By Phoenix
Friday July 25, 2008

WILL FERRELL once had to spend a day calling members of his family – to assure them he was still alive.

The Anchorman star was incorrectly named as the victim of a hang gliding accident.

He says, “It was this crazy rumour that I had died and it was not fun to go through. It was rough.

“My publicist told me about it and I had to call my family and make sure they didn’t hear it first – and believe it.”

But Ferrell is getting used to hearing and reading strange rumours about himself.

He tells WENN, “I heard that I was a germaphobe, and I carry my own pen to sign autographs. Crazy.”

http://www.showbizspy.com/article/11728 ... story.html

Star of "The Social network":

http://www.popsugar.com/Pictures-Jesse- ... opSugar%29

Used to be way hot:
http://www.contactmusic.com/news/hutton ... re_1001774
By ChattaroyMan
FlyingTechGuy wrote:I guess it kind of depends on what you mean by "famous people." If you are referring to the standard notion of movie stars and recording artists, then there are slim pickens because - well - they're kinda spoon-fed pu--ies that are more risk adverse than an average Hang 1........
Speaking of Slim Pickens..... He also hooked in......

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcW_Ygs6hm0[/youtube]
By JR
Steven Tyler is, or was a PG pilot at one time. I think he had to do it covertly due to the issues previously mentioned.

JR
By HGXC
JR wrote:Steven Tyler is, or was a PG pilot at one time. I think he had to do it covertly due to the issues previously mentioned.

JR
Took lessons at Morningside!

Dennis
By charliep
I thought he was dead.
By FlyingTechGuy
charliep wrote:
I thought he was dead.
Death is over-rated
By Gottafly8
My Dad gave a coupe lessons to Bruce Jenner in the late seventies but he obviously didn't stick with it.
Face it, we are a rare breed.
By peanuts
in late 70's, Dale Earnhart, a former pretty good automobile racer, tried some HG. he said he liked it, but a somewhat hectic schedule probably kept him from more of it
By wes schield
Lois Lane!
Margot Kidder who starred as Lois Lane in the Christopher Reeve Superman movies took hang gliding lessons in 1975. I have a 20 minute clip from, "The American Sportsman," which follows her as she progress's from a sand beach in Los Angeles to her final flight in the Wyoming Rockies. No chute, single surface, very cool.
By FlyingTechGuy
wes schield wrote:Lois Lane!
Margot Kidder who starred as Lois Lane in the Christopher Reeve Superman movies took hang gliding lessons in 1975. I have a 20 minute clip from, "The American Sportsman," which follows her as she progress's from a sand beach in Los Angeles to her final flight in the Wyoming Rockies. No chute, single surface, very cool.
Oh great. Magot Kidder who made the news from being picked up by police years later for wandering incoherently through a neighborhood sort of out of her mind..

Maybe we should keep that one to ourselves :crazy:
By Phoenix
FlyingTechGuy wrote:
wes schield wrote:Lois Lane!
Oh great. Magot Kidder who made the news from being picked up by police years later for wandering incoherently through a neighborhood sort of out of her mind..

Maybe we should keep that one to ourselves :crazy:
Margot Kidder suffers from the same medical affliction I do, maybe you should STFU! (not bein mean, just sayin).
By FlyingTechGuy
Maybe we should keep that one to ourselves

Margot Kidder suffers from the same medical affliction I do, maybe you should STFU! (not bein mean, just sayin).
Hey no offense intended. Mine was an innocent observation and meant to be a playful response.

Your response was rude. Please think before you respond
By Gottafly8
No offense "theayeinthesky" but does that medical affliction cause extreme reactions to playful forum banter? (maybe you should calm the f**k down. Just sayin..)
By Phoenix
FlyingTechGuy wrote:
Maybe we should keep that one to ourselves

Hey no offense intended. Mine was an innocent observation and meant to be a playful response.

Your response was rude. Please think before you respond
Sorry Dude, Its not like I don't rip on people, I just find "shunning" kind of nasty.
I do get the subtle humor there, no big. Maybe theres a better word than STFU,
which was FAR stronger than I meant. :surrender: