Post your videos as file attachments here. One video per topic please!

Moderators: sg, mods

By $!><
I will admit Mac has a way of making things seem easier in some regards, but you pay big time.
Keeping this in context of a hang gliding forum....

MACS are for Paragliders. They are easier to learn and use at first but when you require more out of them, they are sooooo limiting..... :mrgreen:

:run:
By $!><
Seriously, your version of Pinnacle was from 2005. NOT meant for HD stuff. Your camera came out about a year or so ago so like LW says...make sure you have some updated software. When buying it, make sure your current hardware meets at least the minimum system requirements and expect to wait a long time during video processing.

If your machine was just some out of the box mini-tower crap that you get at a wholesale club, then you get what you pay for.

If you have the $$ look at getting either a new PC or new MAC and then your worries will be over. You will get more bang for your buck from a PC but you will also have more virus problems as well if you don't know what you are doing online.

When it doubt when buying a new PC, get a GAMING PC because it will have the neccessary hardware that would be required when you are also trying to do video editing.
Last edited by $!>< on Thu May 05, 2011 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By flysurfski
LW wrote:
I will admit Mac has a way of making things seem easier in some regards, but you pay big time, and the PC can do everything and more than the Mac.

I'm personally willing to pay the money to not have to deal with viruses, spybot, trojans, daily system/sofware updates, system restores, fire walls, and all the other associated PC bullshit.....:cuss:

When you have a mac, it just works..... :surrender:
By xerxes
No way, go with Linux! I haven't touched winblows or crackintosh in many years. If you do a little homework and buy the right hardware, you won't spend hours and hours trying to get it working. I use it 8+ hours a day for work and spend zero time trying to recover from crashes, meltdowns, and freak outs. No viruses, no malware, free enterprise-class software, free upgrades forever, no corporate/government tracking scams.....it's awesome....

.....until you try and edit video :|
:lol:
By relate2
LW wrote:
It had little to do with the operating system and more to do with the software that was loaded.

It's a bit like saying your ragged out single surface Moyes isn't performing well so you tried your friends brand new topless WW, and 15 minutes later you were "sold" and now think WW is way better than Moyes. :wink:
You know LW that's about the best explanation I have read. Short simple and even a hang glider can get it. :mrgreen:

I have said before nearly all of the editing problems started when normal digital still cameras started producing HD video and all of a sudden people started finding their old computers couldn't hack it and started blaming software, the wife, the kids, even the dog. Not to mention every camera maker has it own little tweak to a supposedly standard format. :(

Just one comment about .avi, this is a very old format and works fine but produces huge and I mean HUGE files. Just so you get it when I say huge I mean a 500meg H.264 video converted to .avi can easily end up thousands of megabytes in size.
By TomGalvin
relate2 wrote:Just one comment about .avi, this is a very old format and works fine but produces huge and I mean HUGE files. Just so you get it when I say huge I mean a 500meg H.264 video converted to .avi can easily end up thousands of megabytes in size.
It can, but AVI is a container format. The size of the file depends on which codec you choose to use in your avi.
By relate2
TomGalvin wrote:
relate2 wrote:Just one comment about .avi, this is a very old format and works fine but produces huge and I mean HUGE files. Just so you get it when I say huge I mean a 500meg H.264 video converted to .avi can easily end up thousands of megabytes in size.
It can, but AVI is a container format. The size of the file depends on which codec you choose to use in your avi.
You are right in some circumstances but I didn't want to complicate things any further. If your computer is powerful enough you are better off sticking to H.264 which supplies the best quality at very small sizes. Surprisingly though my next choice would be windows .wmv, especially for youtube.
By AIRTHUG
LW wrote: I will admit Mac has a way of making things seem easier in some regards, but you pay big time, and the PC can do everything and more than the Mac.
Show me a PC with Final Cut Studio and we'll talk :popcorn:
By psuguru
dievhart wrote:PowerDirector from Cyberlink (I use 8 but get the latest)
:ditto:
By jimrooney
Uh ... wow... have you guys totally overlooked the fact that he already owns a computer???? :crazy:

Your proposals... even the cheap options you're suggesting... $500 and up.
My proposal... ZERO dollars.
????????????????????????? :wtf:
Take your Mac/PC nonsense and go home. It has nothing to do with what he's asking. He's got a computer already... why not try and help him to use it? Oh, right... cuz you don't know how.

I'm not helping?
I edit GoPro video on a 1005HA eeepc netbook (exclusively). I know exactly what I'm talking about.

Off to try that Mpeg Streamclip program :thumbsup:
Sounds very promising.

Jim
By $!><
Jim, with all due respect...you may be overlooking the fact that he isn't "tech" savy with computers or video editing like you may be. Screwing around with various freeware apps may work fine for YOU on an older machine....but having someone randomly download this and that to process video without knowing what a codec is may not click together like legos as you may think. I have been supporting end users for quite a few years now and believe it or not....there are plenty of people that don't even know how or why you would "zip" a file or folder to send in an email.
Terry hasn't responded to his own thread so we can probably assume he either:
1) Got sick of the Mac vs. PC debate
2) The editing got the best of him and he blew his head off
3) He figured out a way to resolve his problem with or without the help of our replies.

Either way I think it is time for Terry to speak up and let us know where he stands in order to continue to "help" him if that is what we are doing.
By jimrooney
What Video editing software do you guys use?
Question asked.
Question answered.

Telling him to get new hardware does not help.
If someone's having trouble with their car, you don't send them to a new car dealer... you send them to a mechanic.

Exactly when did I say anything about downloading codecs?
But, since you've mentioned it...
http://www.codecguide.com/download_mega.htm
(which will just happen to install FFDshow and allow him to deal with .mp4 files natively, which is what he was expecting in the first place)

I don't think he'll be upset by his computer magically being able to edit video within Movie Maker... do you?

But yeah... by all means... I now see the light... he should just go out and spend a bunch of money trying to fix the problem.... "my computer is missing a codec... so I should buy an other computer???" :crazy:

Jim
By jimrooney
Something was bugging me about "screwing around with codecs on an older machine".... and then it dawned on me.

You think I'm on an old machine.
(My computer is maybe a year old)
I mentioned that I edit on my tiny computer to illustrate the point that this has nothing to do with his hardware. This is a software problem.

But it was the "screwing around with codecs" bit... that's the heart of the matter here.
See... codecs ARE the problem.
This has nothing to do with the hardware he's running.

He can't speak the language that GoPro writes in.
This is why his programs can't "see" the files... they have no idea what they are.

Install the translator and *poof*... it all starts working.

But no... here we've got a bunch of guys telling him to buy a new computer simply because it comes with the codec already installed. Can you see why I view this advice as lunacy? Spend hundreds to thousands of dollars so you don't have to download a (tiny) file??? Seriously?

It stems from the myth that all that doesn't work with computers is because they're not fast enough. Uhg.

I just don't have the stomach for KoolAid.
Jim
By Terry from Toronto
Boys; boys; can't we all just get along. Now you Mac fans stand over there ... and you PC fans stand over there.

Well, I got a lot more than I bargained for. All good though. Big thanks to everyone.

I'm still back on Jim's first post. I brought down VideoPad and, so far, I like it. It can read MP4s directly. That's a plus. Still tinkering with the details.

I'm thinking of actually buying (Yeah, really) Magix Movie Edit Pro 15 HD. Anyone got experience.

Someone else mentioned Power Director 9.

Also, see this ....
http://video-editing-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

Still learning,
TR
By $!><
Terry from Toronto wrote:Boys; boys; can't we all just get along. Now you Mac fans stand over there ... and you PC fans stand over there.

Well, I got a lot more than I bargained for. All good though. Big thanks to everyone.

I'm still back on Jim's first post. I brought down VideoPad and, so far, I like it. It can read MP4s directly. That's a plus. Still tinkering with the details.

I'm thinking of actually buying (Yeah, really) Magix Movie Edit Pro 15 HD. Anyone got experience.

Also, see this ....

Still learning,
TR
Terry,
How old is your computer? What kind of graphics card do you have? CPU? Memory? What is your geek rating? blah blah blah.

Doing what Jim says will work. Doing what others are saying will also work. It is your choice, but just understand, if your machine is older with low end hardware, while you may be able to edit your movies, it could be like watching your grass grow. Slow and painful. If that works for you, great.
I actually edit my movies on an older machine (5 years old) which was built for gaming back when I put it together. Compared to todays machines it is a dog, but I would rather spend my money on HG stuff so I haven't upgraded yet because it works fine for everything else.

Like Jim says, you don't need to buy a new machine or any software. The price however, may be time on your part waiting for sh!t to process. HD editing can be very demanding and there are plenty of people that buy an HD camera without realizing their editing environment is not optimal for creating videos.
By zamuro
Despite the PC vs. /Mac discussion (I am a PC guy). The thread and the codecs links given so far seems pretty useful to me.

In a previous thread relate2 mentioned PowerDirector. I downloaded the trial version and I can attest that t is a pretty good choice for editing HD videos on a PC .

I am still looking for the best choice to combine stills and video. There are some software that is great to make slide shows (e.g. Proshow) but it is more expensive that PowerDirector and overall I think PowerDirector is a better choice.
By relate2
Terry from Toronto wrote:

Also, see this ....

Still learning,
TR
Yeh I actually paid for Magix Movie Edit pro after trying the trial. I then struck a problem and it took 2 months for their help forum to even acknowledge my question and it was never solved. Also with Magix if you want to do anything special like slow motion, Stabilization of shaky video you need to add extras.

I no longer use it after changing over to PowerDirector. PowerDirector's help forum is top notch with a great bunch of very knowledgeable people.

Have you tried the FFDshow codec pack yet?
By hpyatcldbs
Well I have to admitt i feel like the biggest dumbshit on the forum.This whole post could be in greek as far aqs i am concerned.I have had my GOPRO for a year and tried squared5,moviemaker and several others trying to edit a movie.Thay all suck as far as i am concerned.
Nothing is made for computer idiots like myself.
I am so dissappointed and frustrated I have given up.I dont even take the gopro flying anymore as it just causes more frustration trying to download and make a movie.
I have to mention that i have alot of respect for all you guys that make such awesome flying vids and share with everyone.I really enjoy them.Just pissed that i cannot share any of footage with you all :Keep in mind though,i am too stupid to even figure out how to shrink a picture to make as my avatar. :surrender: :surrender:
Hopefully someone will come and fly Wolcott Colorado this year and could maybe walk me through the process.
Keep the great vids coming.They really are appreciated.
By LW
hpyatcldbs wrote::Keep in mind though,i am too stupid to even figure out how to shrink a picture to make as my avatar. :surrender:
Don't give up yet. My technical illiterate father-in-law got a GoPro for a Christmas present, and between me and his son we taught him to get footage onto his computer, make simple cut and paste type edits, and upload his videos to facebook, all on a (gasp) couple-year-old PC! I think you are right about having someone show it to you in person.
AIRTHUG wrote:Show me a PC with Final Cut Studio and we'll talk
Show me one thing Final Cut Studio can do that Adobe Premier can't do and we'll talk. :wink: Besides this guy doesn't need either of those, he can do everything he wants with easy to use free software on his current PC.
MACS are for Paragliders. They are easier to learn and use at first but when you require more out of them, they are sooooo limiting...
THAT is a good one right there! :punch: :mrgreen:

Seriously though, Mac and PC are more similar than ever. There is no longer one magic bullet of software that only one can run. A lot of professionals running Final Cut are still doing so because that is the software they already know. Most of them also run Photoshop and After Effects which are both Adobe/PC native applications too.

This is like Ford vs Chevy argument where the choice is very clear (Chevy DUH!). Google "video editing mac vs pc" , the majority opinion from amateurs and professionals is clear as mud.

My vote goes with the most bang for the buck! Whatever your choice just learn it and be happy with it because there is something better and cheaper right around the corner anyway.

:ahh: :surrender:
Last edited by LW on Fri May 06, 2011 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Terry from Toronto
$!>< wrote:[ ...... HD editing can be very demanding and there are plenty of people that buy an HD camera without realizing their editing environment is not optimal for creating videos.
Yeah, I'm rapidly realizing that.

My machine isn't too bad ...

Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3
HP Pavilion Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz 2.80GHz , 0.99 GB of RAM
Display adapter - Intel 82945G Express Chipset Family
Lots of hard drive space.
Bought it new in May of 2006

......... and I don't mind waiting as long as it will eventually do it right without crashing.

Speaking of which .... VideoPad works pretty good but (big but) the audio gets separated from the video .... shifted in time. Wierd! Anybody else run across this??

Geek factor: 7/10

TR