Post your videos as file attachments here. One video per topic please!

Moderators: sg, mods

By gasdive
jointstrike wrote:So impressed I checked youtube and found another. This must take years to perfect. Big hairy ones IMO.
What you can't see in that vid is that where the camera man is standing, there's a fence and that beyond the grass you can see theres.... nothing. It's a cliff.

=:)
By jointstrike
What you can't see in that vid is that where the camera man is standing, there's a fence and that beyond the grass you can see theres.... nothing. It's a cliff.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
By Dawson
jointstrike wrote:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Yep, :shock: is right. In this video of me launching there, you can see the fence behind and the cliff in front as I launch from about 30sec into the video.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7D4Co6O17M[/youtube]
By Alfie Norks
So why not just post a still from above. This vid of Dawsons shows bad reading of conditions. Sorry. No lift. Land at bottom :( :roll: :run:
By Alan
Shouldn't FOW be a USHPA special skill sign-off?

I am very interested in learning this but not that interested in needing to be scraped off the side of the hill with a spatula.
By AIRTHUG
Alan wrote:Shouldn't FOW be a USHPA special skill sign-off?

I am very interested in learning this but not that interested in needing to be scraped off the side of the hill with a spatula.
For it to be a sign off, there needs to be a safe way of teaching it... IMO, there are very few locations that provide a reasonable level of safety for someone who's never done it before.

For learning, it would be best to start with landing very slightly uphill in no wind conditions. Then doing the same, on a slightly steeper hill. Continue until you're able to landing on a pretty steep slope. Baby steps.

But how many locations have those 'stepping stones'?

I've seen people do it here, at the South Side. That's a steeper hill than it looks like, FYI. My issue with 'practicing' it on a steep hill like that, is if you mess up you're still going to mangle yourself. So whether you mangle yourself now, or mangle yourself later because you didn't practice, what's the difference. OR- you'll be able to pull it off. In which case, you could pull it off now, or pull it off later.

I think the best practice would be discussing the how to and practicality/theory behind it... and then you are either confident you could do it if needed, or you avoid situations that would require it.

I'm confident I could do it if I had to.... but that doesn't mean I'm going to go out and do it just because I can. It's still high-risk. I'll stick to looping :shock:

:stirpot:
By remmoore

It's a virtual sign-off at Diablo. All we've got is uphill/hillside landings. Gentle ones, moderate ones and "are you man enough?" steep ones. Cross wind, down wind, long, short & undulating - we've got it all. Among many other things, it's the perfect FOTW training ground.

RM
By AIRTHUG
remmoore wrote:Gentle ones, moderate ones and "are you man enough?" steep ones. Cross wind, down wind, long, short & undulating - we've got it all. Among many other things, it's the perfect FOTW training ground.
Now we're talkin! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
By red
Campers,

Ryan said it all. Learning to do a FOWL should be like learning to cliff launch.

NOBODY should "learn" to do one, just by doing one. Both are high-risk,
and both need small (successful) steps first, before attempting the real deal.

IMHO, both are entirely OPTIONAL, as in you NEVER need to do one,
unless you have made some serious mistakes already, to paint yourself into such a corner.

You should be aware, the proposed "LZ" has wind compression (acting like a wind gradient),
turbulence, and thermals. It is about the most active air around your site.
Great spot for a landing! <-NOT!

:D
flyhigh013 wrote:
For it to be a sign off, there needs to be a safe way of teaching it... IMO, there are very few locations that provide a reasonable level of safety for someone who's never done it before.

For learning, it would be best to start with landing very slightly uphill in no wind conditions. Then doing the same, on a slightly steeper hill. Continue until you're able to landing on a pretty steep slope. Baby steps.
But how many locations have those 'stepping stones'?

My issue with 'practicing' it on a steep hill like that, is if you mess up you're still going to mangle yourself. So whether you mangle yourself now, or mangle yourself later because you didn't practice, what's the difference. OR- you'll be able to pull it off. In which case, you could pull it off now, or pull it off later.
I think the best practice would be discussing the how to and practicality/theory behind it... and then you are either confident you could do it if needed, or you avoid situations that would require it.

I'm confident I could do it if I had to.... but that doesn't mean I'm going to go out and do it just because I can. It's still high-risk. I'll stick to looping :shock:
:stirpot:
By INIT4FUNkssake
Uphill landings are the easiest.
Thats it .
The rest is just speculation from those who have not, or will not try, or do it.
In Europe, or for that matter, anywhere on the planet, sometimes its the best option. If it comes down to that option, then its the best & safest.
But. Thats just my opinion.
People who lack the skills, or, airtime required will bash me big time here.
But. f--- it. Go your hardest.
By danmoser
In the choice between FOWL.... AKA uphill-downwind landings... and looping, which one is more useful in emergencies?

Sorry, Ryan... It ain't looping!! :crazy: :crazy:
:stirpot: squared!

:rofl:
By OSCAR
I MO , every pilot should know how to do a FOTW landing .Once you learn how to do it you can put your glider down just about anywhere on the mountain opening up many many more landing options and in smaller RLF's flying up hill burns up speed energy very quickly. It's hard to overshoot.
By cecilbunter
Jeff OBrien wrote:Oscar's got it.
:roll: :rofl:
The great one has spoken, so now all you plebs shall fall silent :sleep: :roflcat:
fffffffftttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gee thanks. Rivetting stuff JB :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: 8) :roll: :rofl:
By hiflioz
I'm curious, could this be matter of definition?

Some of the vids here show spotlandings where you approach UP the slope but land ON TOP of the slope or AT THE EDGE of it. I do many of these here at quite a few sites, both small and large, steeper and less steep, downwind to crosswind to headwind. At the very end you yaw round as you flare. IMO, these ones aren't exactly fly on the wall because you're not ending up on a slope. If you misjudge, there's no wall of earth to slam into (unless you approach too low). They take a while to perfect, and steps range from starting with a crossheadwind progressing to cross and crosstail, but that's OK and even I can do them well!

Some other observations: some of the vids are not fully downwind; the first one, the wind's crossing significantly from the left, and this makes a big difference to groundspeed and consequences if you get it wrong.

I agree with INIT4Fun that slopes (not super steep for me, though) are unbeatable to land on in switchy L&V conditions and seek them out in preference to flat paddocks. I've tried downwind on steep slopes and gotten away with it, but not elegantly. I have lots of airtime but also believe I'm one of those you refer to whose skills aren't up to it, or perhaps aren't up to it yet, and that's fine. Maybe in a few years time they will be.

My issue about online instruction about learning to do full-on downwind fly-on-the wall on STEEP faces is that I've seen newish pilots - ie the ones who would need instructions to know how to do these - often do exactly the wrong thing when faced by a wall of earth. Instead of pulling on speed, they get scared, slow down and mush in, a real problem if it's downwind with high groundspeeds. Also, these pilots often tend to confuse groundspeed with airspeed - mush again. Also, there's the combination of tailwind strength to steepness of hill which needs to be accounted for. The amount of extra speed you need to pull in, the roundout and flare simultaneous and it has to be a strong assertive flare. There's a LOT going on in a SHORT space of time.

I know one pilot who does tailwind uphill on steep faces in 12 kts and he often flares from the backwires to get the nose up high enough. This makes sense if you think about the angle of the airflow to the horizon - the airflow is angled up along the slope so your flare has to be angled much higher than usual from horizontal.

As Ryan says, these landings are something you build up to. I remember another thread where someone was asking how to do a loop and the general response was, if you need to ask then you're not ready.
By noman3
Alfie Norks wrote:So why not just post a still from above. This vid of Dawsons shows bad reading of conditions. Sorry. No lift. Land at bottom :( :roll: :run:
lets see some of your video or are you some sort of arm chair pilot that likes to talk the talk without walking the walk.You sound like a paper dragon with the sun shining out your asss.He shows a video of a landing on the beach and you criticize him.Suk it~!.
By Davedebogusone
I want to see it done on the Crestline launch and the front of marshal. :thumbsup:
By Alfie Norks
noman3 wrote:
Alfie Norks wrote:So why not just post a still from above. This vid of Dawsons shows bad reading of conditions. Sorry. No lift. Land at bottom :( :roll: :run:
lets see some of your video or are you some sort of arm chair pilot that likes to talk the talk without walking the walk.You sound like a paper dragon with the sun shining out your asss.He shows a video of a landing on the beach and you criticize him.Suk it~!.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Your an idiot.
Poor judgement of conditions put him on the beach.
Plain and simple. A bit like your very good self.
Suck that my friend. Wait for it.......there's a ray of sunshine out of my ass, just for you, laman. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
By noman3
Alfie Norks wrote:
noman3 wrote:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Your an idiot.
Poor judgement of conditions put him on the beach.
Plain and simple. A bit like your very good self.
Suck that my friend. Wait for it.......there's a ray of sunshine out of my ass, just for you, laman. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
oh no video,ARMCHAIR PILOT ALERT!!!!.If you feel froggy, prove you even know how to hanglide,i think your a wanabe hang pilot.I can prove i fly,can you?.I will even bet our worst pilot on the hill could smoke you, armchair pilot.Lets see some video!!!!!.Untill i see some video or even better,fly with you im just going to call it how i see it,your a ground dwelling little girl or are you a dude,i cant tell.Dont criticize dawson for trying to help,he can prove he flys and was trying to be helpfull.You are just being a dicckhead.Lets see some video,ARMCHAIR PILOT!!!!!.
By Alfie Norks
Seriously dude.
You behave like a girl.
I just can't take a dude serious , who fly's with knee pads.
:lol:
Is that because you whack in all the time, or is it because you have a lot more to do on your knee's in the carpark. I think its both. :roflcat: