Post your videos as file attachments here. One video per topic please!

Moderators: sg, mods

By jimrooney
Ok, someone suggested making a GoPro camera mount thread.
So here we go :)

I'll kick it off with some of the one's I've made and have been using below.
By jimrooney
One of my most useful mounts is my wrist mount.
(Hairy arms and all)

I've taken a good wrist strap (off a Garmin Foretrex, but any good strap will do) and "sewn" one of the GoPro's plastic clip mounts to it.

To do this, I drilled some very small holes in the corners of the plastic mount. I then sewed it up with some nylon thread.

This one is my straight mount.
I have an other that's on a bit of an angle. The straight one is very useful for mounting to keels and crossbars... and, naturally, your wrist.

The offset wrist strap however works better for actual wrist footage....
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZkgTExa8qI[/youtube]
Attachments
WristMount.JPG
WristMount.JPG (46.2 KiB) Viewed 11636 times
Wrist.JPG
Wrist.JPG (56.48 KiB) Viewed 11636 times
By jimrooney
Ok, this one's the big kahuna.

This one's Bobby Bailey's idea... I just copied it.
(Guy's bloody brilliant!)

It's a vario mount with the top sawed off. In place is a 1/4-20 bolt (think I rethreaded the black post... it's been 5 years, so I'm a bit fuzzy). The 90 deg angle bracket allows me to mount the GoPro well.

I've replaced the GoPro's nut/bolt with a longer set from the hardware store. The head of the bolt fits perfectly where the GoPro's capped nut used to go. Only the slotted bolt fit perfectly btw.

I use a spacer and a wingnut for easy removal. The space gets the nut far enough out so that the wingnut can spin without hitting the camera case.

I've mounted this little monster everywhere. All your usual things like keel mounts and crossbar mounts. I've gotten bloody sick of keelmounts lately, so I don't use it for that much anymore. There's just so much more you can do with the GoPro.

My favorite spot for this one at the moment is on the basebar sticking out away from the pilot and looking back :)

Anyway, here's some crossbar stuff.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkMxdYLfiAY[/youtube]
Attachments
VarioCameraMount.JPG
VarioCameraMount.JPG (99.86 KiB) Viewed 11626 times
By jimrooney
Here's the bolt replacement I do.
It lets me mount the GoPro to a lot more than just the stock clippy mounts.
Attachments
BoltFix.JPG
BoltFix.JPG (55.07 KiB) Viewed 11622 times
By jimrooney
This one's my "GoPro on a stick".
I get my favorite video shots with it.

I use my straight wrist mount to stow it when I'm taking off.
(I faked the picture a little bit cuz I've got the GoPro clip wrapped in black duct tape, so it's just sitting there instead of being clipped on)

This way the pole is in line with my forearm and thus out of the way.
(yes, I've done this footlaunch as well as AT)

When I want the camera, I unclip it and extend the pole. When I want it gone, I retract it and clip it back on.

I've switched to tieing the safety to my front harness pocket and clipping it with a mini-caribiner. It's just quicker.

The camera pole is one leg off a Targus TG-42TT 42-Inch 8-Section Travel Tripod
http://www.amazon.com/Targus-TG-42TT-42 ... B001AK04VY

The advantage of this tripod is it's exceptionally light and doesn't need any flippy clips to extend it.... you just open and close it like an umbrella (though it doesn't spring open, you have to pull it)

HG GoPro on a stick...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOC8BGB3NPw[/youtube]
Attachments
WristMountWithPole.JPG
WristMountWithPole.JPG (70.58 KiB) Viewed 11602 times
PoleExtended.JPG
PoleExtended.JPG (30.48 KiB) Viewed 11602 times
Pole.JPG
Pole.JPG (106.3 KiB) Viewed 11602 times
By jimrooney
The funkiest funkadelic mount I've done so far though is the baton mount :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjHqdmUAAFo[/youtube]

Sorry, I don't have any pics of it, so you'll have to bear with a description.
It's back home, so I can't take any pics :(

So I drilled a hole in the end of a straight baton and mount the GoPro to it.
It sits upside down due to gravity and I flip the video with software after I shoot it.

I kid you not... the baton is just laying on top of the glider.
The GoPro is actually sitting a couple feet out in front of the glider.

The back end of it is tied to the top wires. The midpoint is also tied further up on the top wires to prevent it from sliding down the leading edge, which it naturally wants to do. I've got an other string from the midpoint down to the flying wire so that it doesn't flop over when I flare.

That's it.
A baton held in place by a few bits of string.
The GoPro's so bloomin lightweight that it works.

I reckon I could do the same with a topless by tieing to the back of some of the glider's baton tips.
By Dawson
Thanks for this Jim, I've been wondering how others have done this.

I've only flown with my go-pro once so far ( ok, twice, but I stuffed up starting it recording the first time, and only ended up taking one single photo of myself pressing the shutter button! :oops: )

I took an old nose batten and bent it some more, but ended up breaking it right at the end of the internal sleeve that I'd assumed went all the way along the batten.

You can see from the photo that I've re-sleeved it ( I've also shortened it a little ) around the break.

To mount the go-pro to the end, I took a piece of aluminium sheeting about 3mm thick and cut it to an aproximate hexagon a tad bigger than the flat go-pro mounts supplied with the camera and stuck a mount to the aluminium. I then used Araldite ( A basic two-part epoxy adhesive in case the brand name isn't common where you are ) to glue the aluminium hexagon to the flattened end of the batten.

I mount the batten to the glider through a small slit in my nose-cone that nature has conveniently worn into the exact right place, then tape the batten to the keel at it's end a couple of feet from the nose, and about a foot in front of that.

When sitting on the ground, the whole thing wobbles around a little, but thanks to the incredible wide-angle of the go-pro, this is not noticable on the video.

Like I said, I've only made one video so-far, and haven't finished eiting it yet, so haven't posted it, but will update this thread with the video when I post it online.
Attachments
IMG_1754.JPG
IMG_1754.JPG (202.58 KiB) Viewed 11551 times
IMG_1753.JPG
IMG_1753.JPG (213.69 KiB) Viewed 11551 times
By patrick halfhill
I was tinkering with my own mounts last night. ( using a tripod leg but, with the inconvenient flip things) I'm a bit stumped as to where to put a leash on it. What do you guys do?
By jimrooney
Dig the nose mount :)

Yeah, the leash is a bit of a trick. I store my GoPro in my chest pocket (just above my parachute container) and tie the leash to the zips for the pocket. I guess the answer would be "wherever you store it".

I highly recommend ditching that tripod you've got and getting a Targus one. They're exceptionally perfect for this.

Jim
By patrick halfhill
actually I was wondering how you tie it to the camera. I was going to drill a hole in the base and run the leash back to my harness or on the kite. With a small one that goes to the base of the camera. I tend to drop stuff
By jimrooney
Yeah, I get that, but why drill a hole in the camera?

The waterproof case is plenty secure to whatever you attach it to. So if you need a leash... just tie it to whatever you mount the case to.

Jim
By Dawson
To show the effect of the nose mount (see here) I've posted this work-in-progress video. I've still got to add a sound-track, and trim it down some.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOrI91t96jg[/youtube]

Dawson
By Dawson
I've now added some music and a couple more transitions. It's long, but I can't be bothered editing it any more. The video in the above post has been changed to the now final version.

Dawson
By patrick halfhill
I just started to use my editing software. That is a bunch of work. makes me really appreciate Jim's videos from the ECC's
By lgreins
THANK YOU - I love it when my questions are answered before I even ask them. We just ordered a camera and you took care of everything for now.. :)

I'll come back for more when I have a little experience.
By remmoore
I've got three mounts for my Go Pro. The first one is pretty boring, and is used on the keel. I won't bother showing that one.

The other two are more interesting, at least to me. The first one mounts on my downtube. It includes a gooseneck portion that provides tremendous flexibility in moving the camera angle in-flight.

The second one (sorry it didn't post directly) is a trailing edge mount for my ATOS. It gets nice shots of me from a distance, most of my glider, and alot of scenery. It's position is fixed, so I don't have to worry about camera position - It plugs into the socket on the rib and is ready in 30 seconds.

Both of these mounts were built for $10-15 each, mostly from stuff found at the hardware store or Home Depot.

RM
Attachments
Camera Mount 3.jpg
Camera Mount 3.jpg (111.9 KiB) Viewed 11304 times
Camera Mount 2.jpg
Camera Mount 2.jpg (981.12 KiB) Viewed 707 times
By Spark
A day in the life of a ...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K64j--Nn4Oo[/youtube]

Those GoPros sure are tough. I've crashed mine hard once while I was working the kinks out of the kite mount, and it never stopped recording. A buddy dropped his from >200 feet during a wingover last week and it was still running when we found it . :mosh:
By jkjohnson
Here's my 1st at video. try the mount is hybrid of Jims baton mount. It's a bstraight baton laying on the under surface threaded down through the side wire hole. The baton is short of reaching were the under suface and the top surface meet. then I pulled the baton out about 6" forward of the leading edge, that way if I nose over the camera slides behind the LE. the baton has a copper tee fitting pressed on to it at the end that slides into the wing. My glider has a inspection zipper at the side wire I put a short piece of straight baton at the tee this keeps it from rolling and the camrea stays where pointed.

http://www.vimeo.com/7953395
By bisleybob
jkjohnson wrote:Here's my 1st at video. try the mount is hybrid of Jims baton mount. It's a bstraight baton laying on the under surface threaded down through the side wire hole. The baton is short of reaching were the under suface and the top surface meet. then I pulled the baton out about 6" forward of the leading edge, that way if I nose over the camera slides behind the LE. the baton has a copper tee fitting pressed on to it at the end that slides into the wing. My glider has a inspection zipper at the side wire I put a short piece of straight baton at the tee this keeps it from rolling and the camrea stays where pointed.

http://www.vimeo.com/7953395
IF THAT YOUR FIRST VIDEO THEN WAHOOO
nice one dude was great made me want to go aerowtow right now. keep it up
By hhayden
I just got a Gopro and am learning to use it on my hang glider and my trike. What editing software do you guys like?

Hal Hayden