Funny/Friendly Off topic discussion. Fail this test and threads will be migrated to Way Off Topic.

Moderators: sg, mods

By Nate
It is not performance enhancing.

Heck, I say give Phelps another GOLD for having won the most gold medals and smoking weed.

:shock:

:popcorn:
Attachments
smoke.gif
smoke.gif (499.55 KiB) Viewed 3368 times
By FormerFF
If I were the commissioner of this league, I'd test for cannabis:

[youtube]
[/youtube]

Seriously, if you're going to smoke that stuff, either grow you own or know your grower. If who you're buying it from is getting it from Mexico, there's a very real chance that your money is going to support some very violent people. It's not nearly as bad as buying coke, but the money may wind up buying someone's death.
By Tex
crvalley wrote:
noman3 wrote:the Olympics committee seems to think weed is a sports enhancing drug
Remember Ross Rebagliati, the Canadian who won the gold medal in snow boarding in 1998?

Well go figure, ol' Ross had marijuana in his circulatory system and was immediately disqualified...the disqualification was over-turned as it was found that marijuana is not a performance enhancing drug and Ross was given back his gold medal... :punch:
But if some dude was holding a Pizza at the bottom of his run it surely would have enhanced his down hill performance and speed.
By xerxes
I don't think it's performance enhancing. This isn't a sport where 'zoning away' from pain would let you go farther or faster. Initially finding a thermal can be a Zen moment in itself and maybe a little taste of cannabis would help you let go and 'see' the thermals and feel the air, but after that it's all about critical thinking and making good, fast decisions which pot would not help.

Besides, if you've been high thousands and thousands of times and tripped dozens and dozens of times like me, you can pretty much re-live a kind of stoned/tripping headspace experience for a few seconds if you focus on the feeling hard enough (or actually focus on not focusing on anything....). Meditation is the greatest drug ever! I don't think I'm burned out though, I just i juss isjusss vacancies vagrancies and bacon seeds to me.

I flew high once and didn't like it. It was slightly too much of a hinderance to make it worth the increased risk.
By spekkinout
When I found out Ross used to live in my (very small) town, his testing positive for THC was not surprising in the least, though I did wonder who his source was! :lol:

There was a time, perhaps when the Purple Haze strain was all the rage, when I stood on launch, saw a good cycle on it's way, and hollered out:

'Scuse me...while I kiss the skyyyyyyy

...rather than yelling "clear".
By soarass
Actually, a little paranoia in flight MIGHT make us a bit more conservative in our decisions. Don't ask,don't tell didn't work for the military....BUT I've seen pilots drink beer on launch, and nothing ever seems to get said to them; don't honestly know if the red necks would begin to show brighter if anybody toked up, either. I think probably more apropro in the LZ setting for the eve festivities, but then I get a bit more laid back as I age a bit. I did hear a rumor that Arnie does see decriminalization as a possibility of relieving the debt in California. We'll see. I do know a lot of DEA and "SPECIAL" units would have to scramble to invent a new "ENEMY" to sell to the public, to justify their squeeze. Can you imagine, the new "BATFEM"? Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, Explosives, and Marijuana? Actually sounds like some site dedicated to fisting or some other esoteric practice not generally known to hangglider pilots, who are mostly clean, upstanding, politically correct, model citizens not typically given to risky practices of any sort, whatsoever.NAHHHHHH!! Joel
By blindrodie
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
By JohnG
rant on...

It is bullshit for any of you to judge someone who smokes pot every day. The idea that they can't function correctly in flight or on land is also bullshit. The idea that they are lacking something because of it is also dumb.

How many of you, or the general public takes zoloft, or the like? I'll answer: a shitload. No difference. One is legal, one isn't. Anti-depressants are prescribed like crazy, people take them like crazy, but that is okay... while marijuana isn't... hmmm.

The worst of you might be the ones who have only tried it a few times. You are transferring your experience to what others experience. You have no idea what others experience. What it may or may not do for them.

rant off...
good day.
By blindrodie
OK, who remembers "Alaskan Thunderfuck". Someone please say yes!!

Now THAT was purformance enhancing :lol: 8)

JohnG. Respect your voice. Seemed misplaced though...
By JohnG
just tired of the laws and the stereotypes...

good point. I'll start a new thread.
By soarass
to be entirely correct. Not admittin' any knowledge thereof, but Ah Does Know How tuh Spellz It!! Joel Ps. If ya lil' chirdren ony know'd!!!!!!
By BubbleBoy
JohnG wrote:just tired of the laws and the stereotypes...

good point. I'll start a new thread.
I'm pretty sure that's not what he meant by "misplaced".

JB
By blindrodie
MATANUSHKA huh!

I didn't catch the address there SA...Case I'm in the hood. :wink:
By DaveB
Somethings never change :wink:

I started flying in '77/ MTB'ng in '82 .

I haven't inhaled since '81.

I NEVER did it pre-flight, even back in the day.
By JDyer
Being Canadian I often see/smell it on launch. It's just normal round here. I partook in the lz after a 15 year hiatus last summer. After a munchy fit and a 4 hour power nap I remembered (miraculously) why I quit the stuff in the first place.
By Jason
FormerFF wrote:If I were the commissioner of this league, I'd test for cannabis:

[youtube]
[/youtube]

Seriously, if you're going to smoke that stuff, either grow you own or know your grower. If who you're buying it from is getting it from Mexico, there's a very real chance that your money is going to support some very violent people. It's not nearly as bad as buying coke, but the money may wind up buying someone's death.
thats because its illegal, legalize the stuff and most of the mexican BS will go away, and then Holder the *(&)(*&)(&* that he is won't use it as an excuse to take away your rights with another AWB
By Lobido
THC is a very complex molecule. My chemistry professor told us that its' complexity enabled it to fit into the brain's receptacles differently for different people. I have seen amazing athletic skill displayed by folks who were stoned, and it seemed they did have more ability while high. I have seen others who lost their edge. It varies, I think. I reserve reaching a conclusion until a series of unbiased studies give us real insight into the effect of the weed on performance.
By robfrias
I think the real reason it's banned its because if you smoke it, you're less likely to let yourself be exploited. And if you are being exploited under its influence, then you're certainly not exploited to your full potential.

So rebel my brothers and systers, work less and get stinking high more often. !!
By CRV
Just say no... :lol:

[youtube]
[/youtube]
Highest HG ramp in the alps

Pff, awesome scenery too!! :drool:

Umbrella factory - worked for Mary Poppins: ind[…]

goes 16 imagery

Wow... Thanks for passing that along!

A scary Launch

Thanks for your post. We all should seek out criti[…]