Funny/Friendly Off topic discussion. Fail this test and threads will be migrated to Way Off Topic.

Moderators: sg, mods

By lostgriz
I live in Virginia, but have kept my 2004 Avalanche registered in Montana. All the inspections and BS that you have to deal with is a pain in the a$$. I got a ticket in my wifes car which is registered in VA, for not having a city sticker on my car. :wtf:

Anyway, I got a notice from the county today, letting me know that I owe $900 in back property taxes on my truck. I have of course been paying taxes in Montana. When I called the county to get some answers, they said that they had received a complaint that there was a vehicle with Montana plates parked at my house. This is the type of petty bu!!$hit that is typical here in Northern Virginia. I would love to take a flame thrower to someones house. :punch: :cuss: :punch: :cuss:

There is nof F'ing way I am going to give some jackass the satisfaction of seeing Virginia plates on my truck. I will sign it over to my family in Montana and get some new Lostgriz personalized plates on it.

If I have to pay the taxes, so be it, but VA plates will never grace my bumper. :x :cuss: :x :cuss:

Anyone know a loop hole for me, or have any suggestions? Anyone know if I can insure a car in VA that "I don't own?'

Words cannot convey how much this pisses me off. :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:
By relate2
Playing the devils advocate here, what is the difference in paying your vehicle taxes to help maintain the roads your vehicle drives over etc to paying your normal taxes to pay for the things that your State provides? So your neighbours are paying for the smooth roads that your car drives over every day.

I don't mean to stir you up, just playing the devils advocate to discuss the other side of the argument.
By Paul H
Why didn't you register your vehicle where you live? Were you trying to avoid paying fees?
By Love2Glide
I am no lawyer but have dealt with this crap before.

You can claim that your vehicle is inoperable, and that it has been since it entered the state. Many states will wave fees/registration if the vehicle is inoperable.

If you get caught on public road with a out of state tag registered to you and an in state license, expect a bunch of BS. You could sign the vehicle over to a relative and say you are borrowing the car, and that the vehicle does not stay in the sate for more than the allowed time before registration is required.

If you are in the military, they can stuff it. You can register and have license in your home state.

You might be able to tell the state to f$%^ off..they generally cant seize your property or do anything else in these cases, they just wont let you register a car unless you pay. I doubt they would take you to court or try to garnish wages.

All that said, generally the government gets theirs and you are probably screwed.

If all else fails, here you go:

Step 1: Grab ankles
Step 2: Receive the goodness of government
Step 3: Take a hot shower

Cheers!

Tony
By gbx5150
You could buy my house in Kalispell Montana LOL, by owning a home in Montana I'm sure you can then choose to register your truck in either state. Works for me in Indiana, I've been collecting seat belt tickets here in Indiana with a Montana plate on my car, I tell the cop I own a house in Montana and I'm just here for a month or 2 visiting my kid, and we don't wear no stinking seatbelts in montana while driving the 75mph legal speed limit on a snow covered 2 lane country road. Gotto love Montana driving!!
Montana gives permant plates, never have to renew again on older vehicles, motorcycles and trailers, I'm hoping I can keep my Montana Perm. plates also wherever I go.

Anyone want to bail me out and buy my new house in Kalispell Montana!!
By relate2
gbx5150 wrote:and we don't wear no stinking seatbelts in montana while driving the 75mph legal speed limit on a snow covered 2 lane country road. Gotto love Montana driving!!
You have got to be kidding me, no seat belts. The next time you don't wear your seat belt think of this......"If you hit the steering wheel at 35mph in a head on you will hit the steering wheel at the same force as planting the steering wheel in the ground and lifting you up 122 feet and dropping you spread eagle onto it."

Something else to think of is this. You wear your seat belt but collide with a car where the driver is not wearing his. You only hit him at 10 mph but because he isn't wearing his belt he hits his head on the windscreen and suffers horrific injuries. You then get charged with "Culpable Driving causing injuries" have to go to court and face a jail sentence. If he was wearing his seatbelt he suffers no injuries, you get a traffic ticket and go home to your wife and family.

After 17 years in the Police force all I can say is the Montana State government is negligent in the way it it unnecessarily sending its citizens to the hospital or worse the morgue.
By TomGalvin
relate2 wrote:[After 17 years in the Police force ....
You know what most people never will...Driving is a privilege, not a right.
By lostgriz
relate2 wrote:Playing the devils advocate here, what is the difference in paying your vehicle taxes to help maintain the roads your vehicle drives over etc to paying your normal taxes to pay for the things that your State provides? So your neighbours are paying for the smooth roads that your car drives over every day.

I don't mean to stir you up, just playing the devils advocate to discuss the other side of the argument.
I appreciate your position. I did pay almost $8,000 in property taxes alone. Honestly, I just didn't want to hassle with the BS of the inspections here. If I have to pay the taxes, I will pay the taxes. It really wasn't a grand conspiracy on my part and I will be the first to admit that it probably wasn't the best course of action.

What pisses me off is how petty and antagonistic people can be. The fact that some A-Hole would take the time to file a complaint against me for having a car parked in my driveway that has Montana plates. :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

With all the crap going on in the world and I have to deal with this too. Was it wrong of me ?...YES. Would I like to beat someone for taking the time to file this complaint ?... YES

I know it's just ego, but I don't want to give someone the satisfaction of seeing VA plates on my truck someday. :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:
By Jason
relate2 wrote:
gbx5150 wrote:and we don't wear no stinking seatbelts in montana while driving the 75mph legal speed limit on a snow covered 2 lane country road. Gotto love Montana driving!!
You have got to be kidding me, no seat belts. The next time you don't wear your seat belt think of this......"If you hit the steering wheel at 35mph in a head on you will hit the steering wheel at the same force as planting the steering wheel in the ground and lifting you up 122 feet and dropping you spread eagle onto it."

Something else to think of is this. You wear your seat belt but collide with a car where the driver is not wearing his. You only hit him at 10 mph but because he isn't wearing his belt he hits his head on the windscreen and suffers horrific injuries. You then get charged with "Culpable Driving causing injuries" have to go to court and face a jail sentence. If he was wearing his seatbelt he suffers no injuries, you get a traffic ticket and go home to your wife and family.

After 17 years in the Police force all I can say is the Montana State government is negligent in the way it it unnecessarily sending its citizens to the hospital or worse the morgue.
sorry, Im calling BS
35 mph is about the speed your body would reach if dropped from 10m, or 33 feet,

still a lot, but nowhere near 122 feet, not to mention the steering wheel won't actually be stationary but moving somewhat as well

perhaps Montana just believes more in individual liberties then where ever you come from

to those that say driving isn't a right, you are the highlight of evidence that supports the founders arguments against a bill of rights, that which isn't specifically listed as a right is a privilege

I direct your attention to the 9th Amendment
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
By lostgriz
relate2 wrote:

Woa, Woa relate2. You went from playing devils advocate to making some incorrect assumptions. Just because gbx5150 doesn't wear his seat belt dosn't mean it's leagal in Montana. That's God's country you are talking about there, so lets not get nuts?

I appreciate your argument though. I have been ejected from a vehicle in one accident (spent 2 weeks in the hospita) and was also involved in a head on collision where I was going 25 mph and the other car was going 40 mph. I always wear my seatbelt now, but I don't think you can really compare hitting a steering wheel at 35 mph to hitting a steering wheel after a 120' free fall. Your point is well taken though.
By DanTuck
They are pretty tight in Fairfax County especially. To some extent I agree and think that between the state registration, safety inspection, emissions inspection, county registration, stickers - it can be a real pain. Let alone the property taxes. It's all just to collect money. But I also agree with that the taxes are necessary to keep our roads up. The inspections are a chore but they really do keep the clunkers off the road and the smog to a minimum. Not too sure that another owner in another state is going to help. If it's garaged in the county, they want their money. All it takes is for a cop to see your car with MT plates parked in the driveway one day and then again after 30 days, the tickets start flowing. And in Vienna, I'm not surprised your neighbors would report you. :roll: There are some cool people there but some seriously uppity people that need to mind their own business.
Love2Glide wrote: I doubt they would take you to court or try to garnish wages.
Unfortunately in VA, they would not hesitate to send you off to a collection agency and proceed to rip your credit up. That is, if you don't have a job with wages to garnish.

How'd they determine how much back tax to charge you?
By relate2
Jason I was going to reply point by point to your answer but decided to just say this........Speak about all your rights to drive the way you want, no seat belts, no helmets etc.........to the hundreds of people during my time in the police force who I had to inform that their son, daughter, husband, wife etc would not be coming home that night because they were just involved in an accident and have been killed.

After you face just one of those door knocks them come back to me about your rights. Sometimes governments have to protect the stupid. Sorry that was uncalled for but it just makes me so mad with the ignorance of some people and their rights. What about my rights to not to end up in jail just because some one is seriously injured because they choose not to wearing their seatbelt.

So do you have to wear your seatbelt in Montana or not?
Last edited by relate2 on Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By lostgriz
Jason says, "perhaps Montana just believes more in individual liberties then where ever you come from. To those that say driving isn't a right, you are the highlight of evidence that supports the founders arguments against a bill of rights, that which isn't specifically listed as a right is a privilege

I direct your attention to the 9th Amendment
[quote]The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."

Dang Jason, you just went Law and Order on us. :mosh: I gotta say,... I like your style. :thumbsup:
Last edited by lostgriz on Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By miguel
Buy a clunker and register it in VA. Park it in front of your house for the enjoyment of your neighbor. Move it the required number of feet per week to keep the cops happy. Occasionally park it in front of the neighbor's.

Unless you move out of state, you will have to pay the taxes. That's just how it is. Always be polite when dealing with the authorities. They have a whole toolbox of dirty tricks for dealing with delinquents.
By Jason
relate2 wrote:I was going to reply point by point to your answer but decided to just say this........Speak about all your rights to drive the way you want, no seat belts, no helmets etc.........to the hundreds of people during my time in the police force who I had to inform that their son, daughter, husband, wife etc would not be coming home that night because they were just involved in an accident and have been killed.

After you face just one of those door knocks them come back to me about your rights. Sometimes governments have to protect the stupid. Sorry that was uncalled for but it just makes me so mad with the ignorance of some people and their rights. What about my rights to not to end up in jail just because some one is seriously injured because they choose not to wearing their seatbelt.
and I have to say Id rather see a thousand idiots weed themselves out of the genepool then be told how to live by a nanny state

don't like ending up in jail because of *another* stupid law, change(abolish) the law, thats the problem in the first place...too many damn laws trying to keep the stupid alive
By ian9toes
lostgriz wrote:What pisses me off is how petty and antagonistic people can be. The fact that some A-Hole would take the time to file a complaint against me for having a car parked in my driveway that has Montana plates. :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:
:offtopic: But with the words "A-hole" and "What pisses me off" I thought I'd share my experience with an A-hole and resulting in me being pissed off :cuss: :cuss:

On my way home from a 4 week trip, 10 oclock at night, still a few hours to go. I spot some young guys (Irish they turned out to be) with a broken down car on the side of the road. I stopped and offer a jump start, it gets the car started but it doesn't last. They tell me the battery is had it. They are headed to my home town/city so I lend them my 1 month old $250 auxilary battery I had for lighting. One of 'em actually slipped me 50 bucks as we parted, I thought cool I'm actually being rewarded for helping them out. But you guessed it I never got the battery back.
Urge to kill, rising. :punch: :chair:
By lostgriz
DanTuck wrote:They are pretty tight in Fairfax County especially. To some extent I agree and think that between the state registration, safety inspection, emissions inspection, county registration, stickers - it can be a real pain. Let alone the property taxes. It's all just to collect money. But I also agree with that the taxes are necessary to keep our roads up. The inspections are a chore but they really do keep the clunkers off the road and the smog to a minimum. Not too sure that another owner in another state is going to help. If it's garaged in the county, they want their money. All it takes is for a cop to see your car with MT plates parked in the driveway one day and then again after 30 days, the tickets start flowing. And in Vienna, I'm not surprised your neighbors would report you. :roll: There are some cool people there but some seriously uppity people that need to mind their own business.
Love2Glide wrote: I doubt they would take you to court or try to garnish wages.
Unfortunately in VA, they would not hesitate to send you off to a collection agency and proceed to rip your credit up. That is, if you don't have a job with wages to garnish.

How'd they determine how much back tax to charge you?
I guess they are looking at how long I have owned the house, but who is to say that I have had this vehicle here that entire time?

Maybe I just brought it here a few months ago? It just pisses me off that some people are so petty.

My taxes have gone toward fixing the roads in MT, where they don't have enough registered cars to fix all the roads.

Let's be clear here; while I probably should have just registered here in VA, it's not that I was dodging taxes. I have been paying taxes on this vehicle.
By knumbknuts
If I can find the falmethrower purchased to try to take down VA when I was stationed there, it's yours.

I hate the government of that state... they are as mean as hawaii is incompetent.
By lostgriz
miguel wrote:Buy a clunker and register it in VA. Park it in front of your house for the enjoyment of your neighbor. Move it the required number of feet per week to keep the cops happy. Occasionally park it in front of the neighbor's.

Unless you move out of state, you will have to pay the taxes. That's just how it is. Always be polite when dealing with the authorities. They have a whole toolbox of dirty tricks for dealing with delinquents.
:twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol:

I told my wife that I wanted to register a short bus in my parents name and park it in front of my house with MT plates and Montana School District on the side.

As soon as it warms up and my remodel project is finished; I look forward to cleaning my guns on the front porch on Saturday mornings, while my neighbors are walking their dogs. :lol: :rofl: :lol:

By the way, I have never had a cross word with any of my neighbors. In fact the most I have ever said to them was when I cleaned their gutters for them (3 of them) just because I was cleaning mine, or maybe when I cut their fallen limbs up with my chainsaw. Oh well............