All techie stuff here
By DMarley
NMERider wrote:GoPro cameras will easily survive an impact force that will quickly dislocate the shoulder of a tantrum-throwing crybaby-pilot who buzzed a trespassing PG before slamming into the berm at the South Side of the Point. At least that what numerous witnesses have described to me in painful detail.
Any Goopy-Poopy video taken of this "unfortunate" event?!?! :drool:
:popcorn:
By wblvizion
I had a co-worker haven probables with his and heard that putting in the freezer to reset it or activate it, can't recall exactly what it was but there is some strange fixes for different cases.
By NMERider
DMarley wrote:
NMERider wrote:GoPro cameras will easily survive an impact force that will quickly dislocate the shoulder of a tantrum-throwing crybaby-pilot....
Any Goopy-Poopy video taken of this "unfortunate" event?!?! :drool:
:popcorn:
Gosh it would ironic if some footage showed up wouldn't it?

Getting back on topic of more serious GoPro technical matters, during an impact, the SD card of a GoPro camera will be ejected internally and the contacts will no longer be engaged with the card writer inside the camera. The result is that some portion of the end of the file will not be identified by the file header which is being continually updated. It's all done in hexadecimal and can't be easily edited in a text editor. There is a perl script that has been floating around for 5 years that can partially restore an HD Hero or Hero2 corrupted file. I won't get into that here. It's a PITA to go though the process. There have been number of fatal or other serious injury accidents in the sport and nobody really knew what happened to cause the accident or what made it fatal. In many cases the corrupted files have been partially restored and the facts were partially or fully revealed. It's a sad and haunting process to have to go though. I get to relive the fatal accidents of other pilots in my mind but while I'm flying in similar air. :| :|
I know some pilots who were asked by law enforcement to review the intact video files from some particularly gory, fatal accidents. That's not my idea of a fun volunteer project but it is our civic duty to bear witness and opine when asked. :surrender:
By DMarley
P.S.-- Us waterdogs on the OBX nick-named the gopro as Goopy-Poopy's because of their propensity to fog up the case enclosure while on the water or cooler temperatures, and always in both conditions. They didn't last very long in those conditions either.
I've had perfect luck with my Panasonic waterproof Luminix as well as my Pentax waterproof. The pentax is at least 12 years old, and my Panny is at least seven years old, both functioning perfectly after being thrashed almost daily in cold salt water and sand. Also put both of these cameras on some RC flights, with the inevitable high-energy crashes that severely wounded the models, but the cameras came through without scratches somehow.
The Pentax has a dated look to the vid, and the Panny has an almost dated appearance, but it can still take 2 hr-long high-res vid (1280x720x60fps).
I'll keep 'em 'till hell freezes over.
By NMERider
DMarley wrote:P.S.-- Us waterdogs on the OBX nick-named the gopro as Goopy-Poopy's because of their propensity to fog up the case enclosure while on the water or cooler temperatures, and always in both conditions.....
Ah! Excellent point about condensation fogging. I learned early on to remove the gasket and drill some holes in the case to let the Hero cameras breathe. This way we can fly past dew-point altitude in saturated air but still get that memorable shot of emerging into a mist valley. :wink:
By DMarley
NMERider wrote:This GoPro sacrifices itself to a sniper's bullet so that its photojournalist-owner may live.

[youtube]
[/youtube]
Possibly the most useful and valuable gopro unit ever manufactured.... the one single unit that instantly spared a mans life! .
By NMERider
DMarley wrote:
NMERider wrote:This GoPro sacrifices itself to a sniper's bullet so that its photojournalist-owner may live....
Possibly the most useful and valuable gopro unit ever manufactured.... the one single unit that instantly spared a mans life! .
It truly was a Hero. :run:
By adyr
I learned early on to remove the gasket and drill some holes in the case to let the Hero cameras breathe
I have some small white patches sold for GoPro which absorb humidity. They work perfectly for the closed case.
By NMERider
adyr wrote:
I learned early on to remove the gasket and drill some holes in the case to let the Hero cameras breathe
I have some small white patches sold for GoPro which absorb humidity. They work perfectly for the closed case.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
By red
adyr wrote:
Campers,

I know I have posted this before, but if anybody missed it, here are Silica Gel desiccant crystals in 1g packets, quantity 200. (Two US pennies weigh 5g.)

Silica Gel absorbs moisture from the air inside of a sealed case. They are blue when good, and they change gradually to pink, as they get saturated. Endlessly recycle the pink ones back into good bright blue ones by baking them a few hours in the oven. See instructions. US$12.00 with free shipping on orders over US$25.00 or add US$5.25 for shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Indicating- ... iccant+1gm

:mrgreen:
classic low saves

https://youtu.be/tlRTOxmY8jg empty lots se[…]

Thanks blindrodie, got lucky missing them! Here is[…]

Arcones, Spain

That was cool to watch, thanks a lot!

For This Wanker U-S Pilot. Kariotahi is where my R[…]