All techie stuff here
By red
Campers,

Maybe you know, there are some helmets that I like, and some that I think are a dangerous waste of money. IMHO, the bad ones give a pilot a false sense of security. Trouble is, some of them look great, and looks can be deceiving.

That aside, until now, one of the best helmet technologies that I have found was the 6D-ATR-1, in various flavors. They are really something else in helmets, and maybe one of the safer designs out there. Trouble is, they cost a lot of money, times two.

Now I find there is an alternative, and maybe as good as the 6D tech in many ways. It is really a simple inner liner, and a lot of helmet companies are now putting them into their existing line-ups.
http://www.mips.technology/
http://www.mips.technology/history/

I would need to see one of the MIPs helmets personally, but from their website, I think they are on track, and a lot of helmet makers seem to think so, too. Just something else for you to consider, when the present helmet gets too old to trust.

:mrgreen:
By Roadrunner
O-K I'm hopeful. Maybe, just maybe this E-P-S technology is the Technology that will allow some-one such as myself to sustain an impact that would result in my M-I-P-S Technology wearing Helmet to deal with. By: "Dealing With" I naturally mean that My Brain would not be exposed by a Violent High-G Load" Due to an intial impact.

Well, I am hopeful that this technology is a step in the Right Direction//

O-K, Good By: Chris McKeon, 925-497-1059 CCMCK@GOLDSTATE.NET
By remmoore
Kali Protectives has continued to further expand the safety elements in their helmets. In the attached photo, you can see their latest (as of March) modified EPS foam helmet liner - complete with MIPS - style rotational force diffusers. In my opinion, Kali has the complete package of impact and rotational force diffusion.

RM
Attachments
Kali EPS Plus MIPS Strips a.jpg
Kali EPS Plus MIPS Strips a.jpg (160.68 KiB) Viewed 2189 times
By Roadrunner
Sorry Guys. I messed up. It is M-iP-Technology that intrigues me. Trust me: ""YOUNOT-LIVED UNTIL YOU HAVE HAD YOUR HELMET FAIL TO DO IT'S JOB"
By Mr Pou
Timely thread, I just completed my aerotow rating, and our site requires full face helmets for aerotow, so I'm in the market for a helmet.

I've looked at some of the Bell MIPS downhill bicycle helmets, and will also look at Kali. A couple of the Fox helmets look good as well.
By remmoore
KTMPilot wrote:Lightweight, full face and reduces 'rotational violence' :
https://kaliprotectives.com/helmets/full-face/avatar-II
I was told by Kali's principal designer that the Avatar II would meet DOT standards with just a little less vent holes. It has the same thickness of EPS foam as their DOT helmets, compared to the typical HG helmet which has half that thickness. At 822 g, the Avatar II weighs less than the Charly No Limit.

RM
By Mr Pou
remmoore wrote:
KTMPilot wrote:Lightweight, full face and reduces 'rotational violence' :
https://kaliprotectives.com/helmets/full-face/avatar-II
I was told by Kali's principal designer that the Avatar II would meet DOT standards with just a little less vent holes. It has the same thickness of EPS foam as their DOT helmets, compared to the typical HG helmet which has half that thickness. At 822 g, the Avatar II weighs less than the Charly No Limit.

RM
Looks like the helmet to get, just need to find a stocking dealer to try one on. The flight school had HG specific full face helmets (Cloud Chaser?) to use as a student, and I was shocked at how thin the EPS is compared to my motorcycle helmet.
By idahoDal
Next time you talk to the Kali people can you ask they why on earth they insist on puking all over their nice helmets before sending them out of the factory?
By remmoore
Ha ha....some version of that topic was already discussed. The MX helmet market has a pretty different design aesthetic than we do, and some of the wilder helmet graphics reflect that large market segment.

Their latest helmet, however, is a different story. The Shiva is an all-carbon beauty with Kali's latest EPS hybrid technology. At 1000g, it's just 100g heavier than a Charly No Limit, but has DOT certified protection. Also, Kali claims it's 30% smaller than traditional MX helmets, because of the capabilities of the EPS foam design. I'm told there will soon be an optional face shield for the Shiva, making it a multi-sport helmet for activities like ours.

https://kaliprotectives.com/
Attachments
Kali Shiva.jpg
Kali Shiva.jpg (37.94 KiB) Viewed 2061 times
By Skyvine
remmoore wrote:

RM
Love my Kali Avatar II helmet for flying, and now I don't feel secure without full-face protection. Goodbye to my other open-face helmets, as they now have no advantages.

Thanks for all your helmet research efforts RM!
By remmoore
When I heard that the Shiva helmet would be 30% smaller than typical MX helmets, I thought to myself, "What does that mean. How is that number calculated?" I still don't know the answer, but I found photos taken for a helmet review that gives a visual comparison.

Both helmets shown are for the same head size, with the Shiva shown next to a Fly Racing brand helmet. The difference is quite noticeable. DOT protection in a helmet approximating the size and weight of a HG helmet - I want one!

RM
Attachments
Kali Shiva Size 2.jpg
Kali Shiva Size 2.jpg (104.13 KiB) Viewed 1948 times
Kali Shiva Size.jpg
Kali Shiva Size.jpg (97.26 KiB) Viewed 1948 times
Last edited by remmoore on Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By smyly
Some photos comparing my Kali Shiva (L) to a Charly No Limit Helmet (XL).
The Kali weighs 945g compared to 810g for the Charly. Both very comfortable helmets but when the sh*t hits the fan I know which one I would rather be wearing....a "no brainer" really
Attachments
Kali Charly internal.jpg
Kali Charly internal.jpg (2.06 MiB) Viewed 1469 times
Kali Charly side2.jpg
Kali Charly side2.jpg (1.88 MiB) Viewed 1467 times
Kali Charly back2.jpg
Kali Charly back2.jpg (1.61 MiB) Viewed 1467 times
Kali Charly front2.jpg
Kali Charly front2.jpg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 1474 times
By remmoore
smyly wrote:Some photos comparing my Kali Shiva (L) to a Charly No Limit Helmet (XL).
Thanks for comparison photos of the Shiva to a typical HG helmet. It's very cool to see a DOT certified helmet comparable in size to a HG helmet.

Although I've been building my own face shields for the last several years, it will be nice to see this beauty with a manufactured shield specifically for this helmet.

RM
Attachments
Kali Shiva Size 3a.jpg
Kali Shiva Size 3a.jpg (64.71 KiB) Viewed 1880 times
Kali Shiva Size 4a.jpg
Kali Shiva Size 4a.jpg (59.98 KiB) Viewed 1880 times
By piano_man
remmoore wrote:Kali Protectives has continued to further expand the safety elements in their helmets. In the attached photo, you can see their latest (as of March) modified EPS foam helmet liner - complete with MIPS - style rotational force diffusers. In my opinion, Kali has the complete package of impact and rotational force diffusion.

RM
Interesting how the tag shows "Made in China".
By remmoore
Kali's decision to offer a face shield for the Shiva is a terrific response to many sport enthusiasts who want DOT level protection in a lighter and more compact helmet. HG pilots are certainly not the only recreationists who are looking for better protection than the typical helmets offered. Downhill bikers, skateboard racers and even MX riders want what the Shiva offers. If you read their BB postings, these folks are regularly comparing helmets, and the Shiva is mentioned prominently in any such dialogue.

Out of curiosity as to what a Shiva would look like with a face shield, I quickly sketched a face shield outline on the Shiva profile. It's a pretty sharp helmet, IMO. I also included a photo of my modified Kali Prana, which looks quite similar to the Shiva - except that it's larger and a bit heavier.

I've been told that the Shiva will soon be available in a 2XL size - If so, I plan on getting one!

RM
Attachments
Kali Shiva Face Shield a.jpg
Kali Shiva Face Shield a.jpg (275.81 KiB) Viewed 1787 times
Face Shield Finished 3.jpg
Face Shield Finished 3.jpg (126.81 KiB) Viewed 1787 times
By smyly
remmoore wrote:Kali's decision to offer a face shield for the Shiva is a terrific response to many sport enthusiasts who want DOT level protection in a lighter and more compact helmet. HG pilots are certainly not the only recreationists who are looking for better protection than the typical helmets offered. Downhill bikers, skateboard racers and even MX riders want what the Shiva offers. If you read their BB postings, these folks are regularly comparing helmets, and the Shiva is mentioned prominently in any such dialogue.

Out of curiosity as to what a Shiva would look like with a face shield, I quickly sketched a face shield outline on the Shiva profile. It's a pretty sharp helmet, IMO. I also included a photo of my modified Kali Prana, which looks quite similar to the Shiva - except that it's larger and a bit heavier.

I've been told that the Shiva will soon be available in a 2XL size - If so, I plan on getting one!

RM
Look pretty good RM,
any idea when the face shield will be available?
By remmoore
smyly wrote:Look pretty good RM,
any idea when the face shield will be available?
Yesterday, I was told by Kali's owner that face shield production was behind a few other higher-priority projects, but is still in the works. It's very cool that he's interested in making the Shiva a more multi-sport helmet by offering a face shield option.

If you would rather not wait, and would like to build your own face shield, I've attached a link to a previous .ORG thread where I posted my tutorial on how it's done.

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=33694
Attachments
Face Shield Transfer a.jpg
Face Shield Transfer a.jpg (46.42 KiB) Viewed 1738 times
By rregier
Is the chin guard on the Shiva and Avatar structural or just aesthetic?

Well that was worth the wait! Mostly clear air m[…]

Clear L.A. Skies on Friday!

Well mate you just flew above those walls :lol: […]

involuntarylist

Ive had enough. More than enough agitating peopl[…]

I liked your re-edit JD, there is a timeless qua[…]