All techie stuff here
By red
Campers,

Every now and then, I get dragged a little further into the present, kicking and screaming.
You might know, I do kinda live in the past, things are much cheaper there . . . :lol:
So now my ISP does not like my FTP client, and so my good ol' WinXP will soon bite the dust.
If anybody has an unused Win-7 disk collecting dust, I would be happy to put it to good use.
(The newest Windows versions are 'way too snoopy, to suit me.)
If you might care to help, just send me a PM, and we can sort out the details.

Thanks in advance.
By Windlord
Still running XP on our Acer laptop with the main pc carrying 7 Pro. Still get a lot of Window ads to switch to 10.
Nothing wrong with past, since it is the past that got us this far.
I don't have the 7 disc Red, but the program is easy to use.
By red
Windlord wrote:Still running XP on our Acer laptop with the main pc carrying 7 Pro. Still get a lot of Window ads to switch to 10. Nothing wrong with past, since it is the past that got us this far. I don't have the 7 disc Red, but the program is easy to use.
Windlord,

Yep, Win-7 would not be much of a problem. I already have Win-7 on my laptop (it came that way).
I heard they had to put a button into Win-10 to switch the OS back to whatever you were running before. :rofl:

:mrgreen:
By Darbbb
red wrote:
Windlord wrote:Still running XP on our Acer laptop with the main pc carrying 7 Pro. Still get a lot of Window ads to switch to 10. Nothing wrong with past, since it is the past that got us this far. I don't have the 7 disc Red, but the program is easy to use.
Windlord,

Yep, Win-7 would not be much of a problem. I already have Win-7 on my laptop (it came that way).
I heard they had to put a button into Win-10 to switch the OS back to whatever you were running before. :rofl:

:mrgreen:
I think it was windows 8 that gave you the option to switch back to whatever you were using before. I made the switch to windows 10, and so far it's fine.
By dave hopkins
Ive heard you can go into the settings in Win 10 and change most of the snoopy settings. Many people find it OK. I havn't tried it.
I also had a IT guy load a win 7 on to my laptop with a program the slips by the windows copy BS. Maybe someone in your area knows how. Good luck.
By NickL
you could side-load a linux distro - Linux Mint is probably the easiest. Should run quicker than XP and be safer - I've put it on my dad's old PC and he's fine with it.

There will be good FTP apps (Filezilla?) and Chrome/Firefox for web. Could be worth a shot? You can even run it off a usb stick without installing it to try it out

https://linuxmint.com
By TjW
red wrote:Campers,

Every now and then, I get dragged a little further into the present, kicking and screaming.
You might know, I do kinda live in the past, things are much cheaper there . . . :lol:
So now my ISP does not like my FTP client, and so my good ol' WinXP will soon bite the dust.
If anybody has an unused Win-7 disk collecting dust, I would be happy to put it to good use.
(The newest Windows versions are 'way too snoopy, to suit me.)
If you might care to help, just send me a PM, and we can sort out the details.

Thanks in advance.
http://www.ubuntu.com/download
By red
TjW,

Yeah, got that, thanks. I tried it on some old machine I had here, and it did not recognize the hard disk. I knew there is a MOUNT command in the Linux CLI, but nobody could (or would) tell me how to go about it. A google search gave me millions of hits, mostly asking the same question I had, but I never found an answer. If there was a way to get good answers, though, I might try it once more.

Thanks again.
By miguel
red wrote:
TjW,

Yeah, got that, thanks. I tried it on some old machine I had here, and it did not recognize the hard disk. I knew there is a MOUNT command in the Linux CLI, but nobody could (or would) tell me how to go about it. A google search gave me millions of hits, mostly asking the same question I had, but I never found an answer. If there was a way to get good answers, though, I might try it once more.

Thanks again.
Try here, but be as detailed as possible.

http://ubuntuforums.org/
http://www.linuxquestions.org/
By red
miguel wrote:
red wrote:
TjW,
Yeah, got that, thanks. I tried it on some old machine I had here, and it did not recognize the hard disk. I never found an answer. Thanks again.
Try here, but be as detailed as possible.
http://ubuntuforums.org/
http://www.linuxquestions.org/
Miguel,

Okay, I will certainly give that a try someday soon, but for now, I'm just looking for the simplest fix. Probably no surprise, but I have a ton of Windows software on hand, and a lot of it is not available in Linux programming. I'd need some serious education on Linux stuff, and that will happen, but probably not this week. 8)
I'm hoping that I'll be up to speed on Linux, before Win7 goes the way of all Windows. :rofl:
By TjW
Wine will run a fair number of Windows programs under Linux.
Many programs have open-source equivalents.
By NickL
not sure what the hard-drive issue was - the only time I found Linux couldn't mount a disk was when the disk had gotten so badly corrupted (before trying to run linux) that it was unreadable by any means.

I'd try running linux off a USB stick and see if everything works from there - if you can access the hard-drive from the file manager. If so, it should all be simple. You can use linux fine without the command line if you only need basic software (browser/email/libreoffice)

You can make a bootable USB stick with Unetbootin:
http://unetbootin.github.io

(if you want to try it you should backup your hard disk to an external drive before running the USB - just in case)
By red
NickL wrote:not sure what the hard-drive issue was - the only time I found Linux couldn't mount a disk was when the disk had gotten so badly corrupted (before trying to run linux) that it was unreadable by any means. I'd try running linux off a USB stick and see if everything works from there (if you want to try it you should backup your hard disk to an external drive before running the USB - just in case)
NickL,

Please check your PM inbox.

The computer had Windows, and plenty of disk space, so the HD was not corrupted. I made a bootable CD-ROM for Linux, which ran well enough to say the distro was okay for what I wanted, but any attempt to save a file was met with "no hard drive available in this system" or something like that. I was told I could run the MOUNT command from the CLI, then save the initializing files, but nobody could tell me how to write the correct syntax for the MOUNT command, and very few Linux "experts" would even try to help.

Maybe I could have formatted the HD with the "unconditional" format setting in another box, but I would have lost that old Windows version in the attempt. That was not a worthwhile bet for me, as this was old hardware maybe good for schoolwork, but not much else. PuppyLinux is intended for older machines with limited resources, so it worked well enough, but no distro would recognize the HD.

All that aside, I think I still need an unused Win7 disk. 8)
1-axis gimbal footage?

Hi,guys.you can try this new gimbal which born for[…]

Dust Devil in Utah

Campers, Salt Lake City Channel 2 Weather (KUTV) […]

Great writeup Jonathan. I've had a chance to se[…]

Another cool day in the alps

In Laveno, Italy, also there is a takeoff you can […]