All FLPHG stuff goes here
By krizz9
I really want to try flying a powered harness, is there a place (preferably near the east coast of USA) that offers some instruction and a rental? I'm just an H2, but I've got over 80 flights and most of them are Aerotow, so I feel confident enough in my flying abilities that I can handle it.
By Odakyu-sen
If you can stomach aero-towing, you'll love powered flying. I recommend a skyfloater or an intermediate wing like a Sport2 155.
If aero-towing stress levels are 8 out of 10 (where 10 is max. stress), then quad-bike/vehicle tows are 5 out of 10 and FLPHG takeoffs are 2 out of 10 (because you are the one controlling the gas; not the tug pilot or the driver).

Can't help you with an instructor, unless you want to come down to Auckland, New Zealand and learn to power-fly... :)
By krizz9
Can't help you with an instructor, unless you want to come down to Auckland, New Zealand and learn to power-fly... :)

Come down and learn to power fly in the magical land of elves and hobbits? Sir, that is the best idea in the history of ideas posted to this site. It just so happens I've been wanting to check out NZ and I've got skymiles burning a hole in my pocket. When would be the best time to come down?
By Odakyu-sen
krizz9,

The best time to visit New Zealand would be at the height of summer, from after Christmas until early autumn (in late March).
We have had an awfully wet winter this year, with rain often in the weekends. Thank goodness for power harnesses as a way to get up on those rare, sunny days.

The Auckland pilots (HG and PG) have a Google+ site https://plus.google.com/communities/116 ... 7042735722 that is a good resource for visiting pilots from overseas.