All FLPHG stuff goes here
Last couple of flights, I've had a very hard time transitioning upright for landing.
While I'm certainly pretty new to these units, I don't think my technique is entirely to blame because I have been able to get upright and land well before.
A post-flight inspection after my last flight revealed the heavy rope that connects to the back-plate and goes through the pully at the bottom of the hang strap, had a couple inches of slack in it that I'm pretty sure it didn't used to have. It seems though like that should make it too easy to rotate, not more difficult, but that's all I could find. Could that be my issue or should I look for something else?
If anyone else has had similar problems and solved them, please share.
By red
RobertKesselring wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:19 am Last couple of flights, I've had a very hard time transitioning upright for landing.
While I'm certainly pretty new to these units, I don't think my technique is entirely to blame because I have been able to get upright and land well before.
Robert,

Is everybody supposed to know what equipment you have there?

Generically, do you open the front zipper and bring both knees up to your chest, then straighten out your legs?
That trick should gather the harness at or above your waist, making it easier to rotate upright.
Equipment is a mosquito powered harness.

I did kind of assume that would be assumed because it is the most common FLPHG unit, but you're right, there are others.

It's hard to determine exactly what's keeping me from rotating. In the past when I was able to do it successfully, I would lower my legs, then push down on the base tube to raise my upper body into a mostly upright position. Grabbing a downtube with one hand would then give me a little extra range of motion to get fully upright.

The last couple of flights, I've felt my helmet up against something behind it that prevents me from rotating any further. All that could really be is my hang strap, which I shouldn't be hitting until I'm pretty close to vertical, but I'm nowhere close. In fact, my upper body is still so horizantal that I can't reach more then a foot or so up the downtube.

If that doesn't make sense, it doesn't make sense to me either. I'm thinking about how I can duplicate the geometry of my control frame in my living room so I can hang there and get a better sense of what's going on geometrically. I was just hoping someone had run into this before and might already know what's going on.
Toomb wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:38 am How about filming yourself? A picture is worth a thousand words ..............
Not a straightforward proposition. D.S. wing with no exposed cross bar to mount to. I have made a new mount that may solve that problem. Beta testing next flight.