All FLPHG stuff goes here
By Davedebogusone
Yeah but....
There is a reason why in weight shift flying contraptions , they push the weight not the wing :wink:
By aireout
I think the 8:1, engine-off, glide is over stated.
By tiger12
It was called the Gemini Power pack and was two Partner chainsaw engines hose clamped to the downtubes of the glider. The motors were held on by muffler clamps to 1 1/2" aluminum tubes that served as the gas tank. The throttles were shift levers from a 10 speed bike. Although underpowered it was signifcantly more stable than the alternative at the time which was the Soarmaster.
By tige_matt
I'll take my X1 / Exxtacy combo anytime. 19 hp, folding prop, great climb rate and adds just 65 pounds to my normal hook in weight...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3T_U5NvuwE

This flight was last weekend at the Luling airport near San Marcos Texas.
By Tormod
Davedebogusone wrote:Yeah but....
There is a reason why in weight shift flying contraptions , they push the weight not the wing :wink:
Yes, all of those contraptions with an engine attatched to a hangglider airframe have failed to gain any poularity, The reason being that power ON pushes the nose DOWN. Not ideal when close to the ground. Add to that the trim must be way back to counter the power and imagine what happens in case of engine failure...instant whip stall. It's a death trap.
By soarass
You might try learning to fly the wing before you screw around with the power stuff....just sayin'
By Strato
I used to have a Gemini Power Pack. It sat for close to 30 years in my garage and I just sold it last spring. The first ones had Homelight engines and then they switched to Partner which had more power. Back in the 70s it could barly take a Stratus 5 up and you had better not weigh over 150lb with the Homelight engines