Announce and track hang gliding events
By once&future
Hey Frank,

My info on Yarnell is 20 years out of date, and I would imagine lots of things changed a few years ago when the town basically burned down. FWIW, looking on Google Earth I can see what looks like a launch ramp in about the right place (34deg 11' 17.8" N, 112deg 45' 20.3" W), but you'd really need to ask an AZHPA local for proper info.
By TjW
once&future wrote:Hey Frank,

My info on Yarnell is 20 years out of date, and I would imagine lots of things changed a few years ago when the town basically burned down. FWIW, looking on Google Earth I can see what looks like a launch ramp in about the right place (34deg 11' 17.8" N, 112deg 45' 20.3" W), but you'd really need to ask an AZHPA local for proper info.
I'll echo that. It's been quite awhile for me, too. When we used to fly there, we'd get there noonish, 1:00, and set up pretty quick.
Most of the altitude gain by car is on Hwy 89, so I don't recall the dirt road out to the launch having any really steep places, but I do recall rocks.
There was a little postage stamp LZ on, I think, Stanton Rd at the bottom of the hill, but the general plan is to get up and go over the back and fly down Peeple's Valley. Watch out for big clumps of cholla cactus, but there were lots of big flat fields to choose from along 89.
There was a really good BBQ place, The Iron Cowboy, somewhere down 89, too.